How to connect Bluetooth headphones & headsets to the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
The Nokia 5800 is compatible with wireless Bluetooth headphones and headsets. As well as the usual "handsfree" kits, the 5800 also works with high quality stereo headphones using the A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth standards, which means you can listen to music through wireless headphones while your phone is in your pocket or bag.
Like most Bluetooth devices, headphones or headsets work within about 10 metres / 10 yards of your phone. Also like most Bluetooth devices, they have to be "paired" with your phone in order to work. Pairing is a process where the phone and a Bluetooth accessory talk to each other and agree to connect in the future. This is done to prevent other people getting unauthorised access to your phone, and you only have to pair devices once.
Which kinds of headphones can I use with the 5800?
Almost all Bluetooth headsets (sometimes called "BT" headsets) should work with the 5800, both Nokia and non-Nokia brands. They will let you take calls wirelessly without having to touch the phone.
If you want stereo sound, you'll need Bluetooth headphones that use the A2DP standard.
If you want to control the playback of music, you'll need Bluetooth headphones that use the AVRCP standard.
How to set up Bluetooth headphones or headsets with your 5800
1. On the phone's main standby screen, tap the area next to the battery life indicator in the top right corner, then select the two horizontal arrows. You should now see the Connectivity menu.
2. Select "Bluetooth".
3. Make sure the section marked "Bluetooth" is set to "On".
4. Select the Paired Devices tab at the top of the screen (it looks like two "B" logos with wavy lines between them).
5. Select "Options".
6. Select "New Paired Device".
7. Switch on your Bluetooth headset or headphones, and make sure they're in pairing mode. If you're unsure how to do this, consult the manual that came with the headset/headphones.
8. Select "More Devices".
9. If your headphones appear on the list, select it. If they aren't found, try moving the headphones nearer to the phone and select the "Try Again" option.
10. The 5800 should now complete the pairing process with the headphones. (If it asks for a numerical code, you should find it in the headphones' manual.)
11. The 5800 will ask if it's okay for the headphones to connect to your phone automatically in the future. We strongly recommend saying yes because it saves a lot of bother.
12. Select "Yes" again to connect to the headphones immediately.
How to connect Bluetooth headphones or headsets to the 5800
After you've paired your headphones with your phone using the method above, you can use them by switching on the phone's Bluetooth and then switching on the headphones. They should connect automatically as long as you've remembered to allow automatic connections in step 11 above.
To switch on your phone's Bluetooth: Select the area next to the battery indicator in the top right corner, select the two arrows to bring up the Connectivity menu, then select Bluetooth, then set Bluetooth to "On".