Nokia says the 700 is its most eco-friendly smartphone. It makes extensive use of eco-friendly materials in its construction, has software and hardware features to minimise battery consumption and ships with the 'Ovi Green' app pre-installed, which updates users on health and environmental topics.
As with the other Symbian Belle handsets announced today, Nokia is highlighting the NFC functionality. Three key use cases are envisioned: tap to share (contacts, pictures and videos), tap to pair (easy pairing of NFC-enabled Bluetooth accessories) and tap to read (read NFC tags for information). In order to help promote the NFC functionality, Nokia is pre-installing two NFC-enabled games - Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja - in both cases, NFC can be used to unlock additional content.
The Nokia 700 will be ranged by operators in both Europe and Asia. By contrast, the Nokia 600 and 701 are not expected to be available via operators in the UK (and, likely, Western Europe in general). While this is subject to change, it should be noted that, regardless of operator decisions, all the devices will be available SIM-free from the usual online retailers.
Key hardware features
- 110 x 50.7 x 9.7mm, 96g in weight, 50cc in volume; monoblock touch form factor
- NFC (Near Field Communications) with tap and share, and tap and pair
- Extensive use of eco friendly materials, which makes the Nokia 700 Nokia's most environmentally friendly phone
- Processor: ARM 11 at 1GHz with 2D/3D Graphics HW Accelerator (OpenVG 1.1 and OpenGL ES 2.0), RAM: 512MB
- 3.2" capacitive AMOLED ClearBlack touchscreen, with Gorilla Glass on top and a small air gap; 640 x 360 pixels resolution (nHD)
- 5 megapixel full focus (EDoF) camera (with LED flash); video capture at 1280 x 720p (HD - 720p at 30 frames per second)
- Integrated GPS with location support for A-GPS, WLAN and Cell-ID location techniques
- Compass (magnetometer), accelerometer, proximity and ambient light sensors
- microUSB (USB 2.0) for file transfers, charging and USB OTG
- 2mm charger port with AC15 (high effiency charger) in the box
- 3.5mm Nokia audiovisual port (stereo audio out and composite TV-out)
- BP-5Z (1080mAh) battery with easy access battery cover (standby time of 19 days and talk time of 7.3 hours (GSM) and 4.7 hours (WCDMA). Up to 47 hours of music playback and 6.9 hours of video playback
- WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100 (pentaband 3G) and GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 (HSDPA Cat 10 - 14.4 Mbps, HSUPA Cat 6 - 5.76 Mbps)
- WiFi: WLAN IEEE 802.11 b/g and Bluetooth 3.0
- 2GB mass memory and microSD card slot (supports sizes up to 32GB)
- Available Q3 2011 in Cool Grey, Silver/White, Coral Red, Peacock Blue and Purple
- In box contents: Nokia 700, Nokia Battery BP-5Z, Nokia Connectivity Cable CA-179, Nokia Headset WH-207, Nokia High Efficiency Charger AC-15 and NFC gift card linking to Ovi Store apps (selected markets).
Key software features
- Runs Symbian Belle (Symbian^3 with second major software update)
- Symbian Belle additions and updates include a new look UI and homescreen, a pull-down notification system, updated applications, simplified software update system and richer NFC functionality. More details are available in our separate Symbian Belle story.
- Belle also brings significant performance improvements, with faster and more intuitive interface and smoother multi-tasking.
- Ships with Nokia Maps 3.6 (free lifetime car and pedestrian navigation)
- Pre-installed Ovi Green application giving updates on eco and health news
- Ovi Store for downloading additional applications and personalising the device