1. Back up your data to memory card, using the tool in File manager on your N97.
2. Install v21 via Nokia Software Update on a Windows PC. Over-the-air updates to v21 will be available 'shortly'.
3. All your data *should* be maintained, but I'd strongly recommend doing a hard reset afterwards anyway, i.e. *#7370# from the homescreen dialler.
4. Restore your data (but not settings) from your memory card, again in File manager.
5. Set up any email/Internet/Bluetooth settings/pairings as needed.
The software contains many fixes and improvements on the earlier releases including:
- More free RAM after booting
- Improved call reliability
- Smooth touchscreen scrolling
- Browser improvements (among other changes, the toolbar stays out of the way more)
- Music player improvements
- Cleaner default (black) theme
- Improved image and video stability
- After a hard reset, there's now 53MB free on disk C:
- After removing the Facebook and AccuWeather homescreen widgets, the N97 now boots up with around 59MB of RAM free
- Disappointingly, Ovi Maps 3.3 (free) isn't in the firmware, though of course, it's an easy add-on from 'Software update' on the device, from maps.nokia.com or from the Ovi Store.
Steve Litchfield, AAS