Upgrades and additions:
- Social 1.2 - photo and video upload improvements, though 1.3 is now available as a patch to this, as we reported on here
- Ovi Store 2.0 preloaded - direct access, no launcher anymore
- New Ovi Maps data (#25) - bringing new navigable countries, though note that this is still v3.4. If you want multi-touch and wi-fi country preloading, then head to Nokia Beta Labs for v1.6
- Quickoffice 6.4.166, with free editing licence on the N8, and improved zooming functions, Adobe Reader updated to 2.5.653
- Web updated to 22.214.171.124, minor fixes
- Big update to Nokia Email; performance improved; more visible 'unread emails' flag added to homescreen widget; meeting requests can be accepted directly from email invitations; maps integration, which means people can view the meeting location on the map when the address is mentioned in the location field in the invite
- Multiple general performance improvements
- Dialler now works in landscape mode
- Landscape qwerty layout altered to promote '@' character in many language versions (some other character placements have been juggled)
- You can now 'Change wallpaper' directly from the 'Options' on the homescreen(s), rather than having to go via 'Edit homescreen'
- Enhanced music player screensaver (shows track name and bar in cycled colours)
- Charging indicator keeps going up when you disconnect charger under some circumstances
- Battery indicator algorithm tweaked to be more linear (i.e. the old 'six bars and then it dies ten minutes later' syndrome is hopefully banished)
- Problem with video streaming from web sites
- Smoother video camera zooming (remember there's intelligent interpolation as well, so this isn't a gimmick)
- SMS message stuck in outbox
- MMS messages fail to send and get stuck in outbox
- Device does not restore all settings after retuning from power saving mode
- Screen image sometimes corrupted when you scroll up/down in Quickoffice
- Minor N8 charging issues
- Music player and Photos issues
- Set "save sent messages" as 'No', but actually they still get saved.
- Breathing light now optimised to 'breathe' only when screensaver is set to none or the phone is in powersaver mode
- Animated screensaver option removed
- Charging indicator erroneous when charging with power off
- Web browser crashes when encoding is set to "Thai (TIS-620)"
- Problem with National Geographic 'web TV'
- Phone freezes when you insert the letter É inside a Social network
- All Widgets disappear after updating Social network and you set "Thai" UI
(Includes material from A2phone)
It's great to see some kind of official changelog emerge. I do wish Nokia would release these officially (I'm happy to help sanitise them to make sense to non-geeks!) more often.
As noted above, the inclusion of Ovi Store in the full firmware is an important step. Some people had been left in Ovi Store limbo having done a hard reset (usually after fiddling!) on the PR 1.0 firmware. With the option to install the full PR 1.1 firmware, 170MB, now available via Ovi Suite, it's possible to start from a known good state and with everything built-in.
If you just need the 7MB (or so) PR 1.1 patch over the air (OTA) then head for Device manager on your device (*#0000# on the dialler screen).