All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Go:Play in video, plus GPS tips and the Top 5

Smartphones Show 42 just went live, with video from the Go:Play event, featuring the Nokia N95 8GB, the N81, N-Gage gaming and the Nokia Music Store. Plus tips for GPS-equipped smartphones and my own rundown of the top 5 most desirable smartphones in the world. Read on for links and other information.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:54 PM

hargs48 is on a distinguished road
Good work Steve, really enjoyed SS 42,but I found it rather strange that in your Top 5 list, you listed the 6110 Navigator as number 4,yet no mention of the E61i,also even more surprised to see the iPhone at number 2...
But no argument with your number 1 choice,N95 8GB all the way…

Old 08-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
>>Good work Steve, really enjoyed SS 42,but I found it rather strange that in your Top 5 list, you listed the 6110 Navigator as number 4,yet no mention of the E61i,also even more surprised to see the iPhone at number 2...

Well:
1) The 6110 is just sooo... nice. You have to hold one to appreciate it.
2) The E61i would have made a top 10, but at the end of the day it's not FP1 and it's a bit slow and the camera's not special.
3) The iPhone? Ah yes. Again, you have to hold one to appreciate the work that's gone into it. It really is a quasi-religious experience when you use one for the first time, with the *capacitive* touchscreen, smart handling of bogus touches, the intelligent soft keyboard, the list goes on. See my article: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu..._an_iPhone.php

And remember that the Smartphones Show is cross-platform, i had to mix it up a little!!! 8-)

Steve

Old 09-09-2007, 09:24 AM

n0k1a is on a distinguished road
iPhone

I have to wonder why the iPhone made it into a list of smartphones at all, when it does not even fit into that category by virtue of not allowing third-party apps (at least it wasn't intended to).

Seriously, I did get my first hands-on look at one a few days ago, as the carrier which sells it also happened to have a few clearance-priced DV-RSMMC cards on the shelf, which I was looking for for my 'new' 6682 (a rather nice piece of hardware in its own right, but that's another story).

The iPhone does not, for me anyway, offer text entry anywhere near as effective as that on my E61. The auto-correction helped a little bit, but not nearly enough. What I experienced was exactly what I had anticipated from the pictures and videos: the on-screen 'keys' are too small and too close together. Text entry is very important to me, and I have typed quite large emails and documents on the E61. I do not think I would want to try the same with an iPhone (or any future device with a similar interface, even from Nokia, unless it improves markedly). There is also something satisfying about some sort of tactile feedback...like on the IBM Model M keyboard which I have on this PC.

The zooming function achieved by squeezing or spreading one's fingertips was kind of novel, but not as clean or responsive as I would have hoped, particularly in light of all the hype which it has received.

Interestingly, a friend was with me, and he checked out another iPhone on display at the same time. He has limited experience with feature phones and virtually none with smartphones, and he commented that he rather liked the interface on the iPhone. To each his own, I suppose... I have no problem with such an interface being one available option for those who like it, but I truly hope that devices more like the E61 and E90 continue to be available.

Incidentally, my 6682 and the iPhone are now yet more devices which I have been able to compare to the E61, and yet again, the E61 joystick wins over every other handheld pointing/navigation device I have used.

I have seen the future, and it was already clipped to my belt when the iPhone was announced.

Good show as usual Steve, keep up the great work!
Ads