The Nokia X5-01 expands the portfolio of mid-tier QWERTY devices from Nokia (slotting in between the X3 and E5). QWERTY devices may have originally targeted at the enterprise user, but in recent years they have become increasingly popular with consumers and have moved down the pricing tiers. The X5-01 is a great example of this, with its music and consumer-friendly social messaging focus at a very competitive price point.
Key hardware points
- Dimensions of 74.3 x 66.4 x 16.8 mm (113.4 cc) and 129g weight
- 2.36 inch QVGA screen (320 x 240)
- microSD card slot and 200 MB of internal memory, 128 MB RAM
- Quad-band GSM and tri-band WCDMA (850/1900/2100 Mhz or 900/1900/2100 Mhz) with WiFI (b/g) and Bluetooth 2.1
- 5 megapixel camera with LED flash
- Dedicated music hardware key, accelereomter enables 'spin to skip' feature (spinning phone jumps to a random music track), 3.5 mm audio jack, FM radio
Key software points
- Easy access to social networking sites (Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Hi5) through shortcut or client applications.
- Multi-headed IM client (Nokia messaging for IM) gives access to Yahoo Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk and Ovi Chat.
- Nokia Messaging (for email) gives easy access to email, inlcuding consumer 'push email' functionality.
- Access to Ovi Music Store for music purchase and download. Available as a Comes with Music handset in select markets.
- Additional Ovi services Ovi Store (applications and games), Ovi Share (share photos and videos) and Ovi Contacts.
The Nokia X5-01 will ship with Nokia X5-01 handset, Nokia BL-5F Battery (950 mAh), Nokia Travel Charger (AC-6), Nokia Headset (WH-102), Nokia 2GB microSD card (MU-37) and Nokia Connectivity Cable (CA-101D). It will be available in a range of colours including Pink, Azure, Graphite Black, Yellow Green and Purple.
Nokia have already announced the Nokia X5 TD-SCDMA device for China, but it has a completely different form factor. This reflects the fact that Nokia plan to have various models within the same naming series (as also seen with the C1 a fortnight ago).