All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Ovi Store passes one million daily downloads

One million downloads a day. That's the popularity of the Ovi Store, reports ME News from a Nokia round-table this week. Although still in its first iteration, with a new version of the store due early in 2010, and many will comment that ring-tones and wallpapers as well as applications will be included in that number, it's a significant number.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Just to add I was at this briefing - will add my own take shortly. But was certainly encouraging and illuminating hearing the back story from Nokia's viewpoint.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:39 PM
gam

Thumbs down no help from OVI/NOKIA

My account at OVI Store got removed a week ago for posting to many negative comments. I was asked to write to NOREPLY@NOKIA.COM in case of any questions. As you probably guessed my e-mail came back as thats what noreply addresses are for.
I tried contacting Nokia at nokia.care.europe@ovi.com and moderator@nokia.com and so far haven't received any replies as to what I can do with my removed Ovi account.
There isn't much to come back to as I personaly think that Ovi Store is just awful and so far I haven't found even one remotely interesting/well-made app.
Still the way Nokia treats me is unprofessional to say the least.
Do you know any other e-mail addresses I can try to send a message to? I would really like anyone from Nokia to explain how I can visit Ovi Store again.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Impressive demonstration of Nokia's scale power - even a crappy service (as it to some extent still is) can attact so many downloads!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Unregistered

Why?

Why would you visit Ovi Store, if you think it is so awful?

My advise, buy another phone brand, move on and everybody will propably be happier.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
"many will comment that ring-tones and wallpapers as well as applications will be included in that number"

-It would be _very_ interesting to see the percentages over just how many actual applications that number includes... But somehow I very much doubt that Nokia will be releasing those figures to the public any time soon...
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Last edited by Raven; 12-12-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Old 13-12-2009, 08:53 AM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gam View Post
There isn't much to come back to as I personaly think that Ovi Store is just awful and so far I haven't found even one remotely interesting/well-made app.
I would really like anyone from Nokia to explain how I can visit Ovi Store again.
um.. right.. don't those two statements usually come from two *different* people?

but come on.. if you just troll, that's what happens. Anonymity isn't an excuse for acting like a git. If you don't like something, repeated complaining will not fix it, constructive criticism is great, and if that doesn't work, going elsewhere will at least lessen the pain for all involved.

I too share the view that the Ovi store has a *long* way to go. e.g., I can't download maps booster in Australia on my n97, after much searching found that it wasn't available for my country, but on device client just tells me it can't find the app, which is rather misleading. I personally hope the client improves, so I don't have to hock my n97, but if it doesn't, meh, that's life.

Old 13-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Unregistered

HHmmmm. If you believe what you read from forum posters on AAS then Ovi Store is broken and unusable. Yet there are 1 million downloads per day.

That would explain why I have been finding it perfectly usable since it appeared. I was beginning to think I was some kind of genius. Now it appears that everybody can use it apart from a few inept window lickers.

Old 14-12-2009, 09:49 PM

Captain Jon is on a distinguished road
Ovi Store isn't too brilliant, UI wise. But it isn't horrible either. The only issue I have with them is the lack of quality content. Many quality third party applications has yet to be approved (or they did not bother to submit) on the Ovi Store.

In any case, I prefer to buy direct from the developer.

Old 15-12-2009, 12:44 AM
MariaMagdalena

Thumbs down Ovi

Ovi app still wont work correctly on my N78. After browsing a couple pages it freezes (reinstall didnt help). As a result, from these million downloads not 1 is mine

Old 15-12-2009, 08:10 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
One million downloads a day.
The original article says "nearly one million downloads a day". In marketing speak that could be as low as 600 000 - 700 000 (i.e., still a bit off from 1 000 000).

What'd be more interesting is details, such as the split between
  • games
  • other kinds of apps
  • videos
  • ringtones
  • wallpapers
  • themes
  • e-books
  • other content types

And then it'd also be interesting to see the split between free downloads vs. paid (how much of the downloads are such that actually generate revenue to someone). E.g., if the paid content is only, say 5%, of the downloads, it'd give an indication whether this is a business for anyone (Nokia or developers) or just "charity".

And it'd also be interesting to know what are the top devices and top markets (countries) generating the downloads.

Note also that with over 1 billion Nokia phones out there, getting close to 1 million downloads a day amongst all the couple of hundred phone models out there, isn't that much per phone or even per user yet.