All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia Music (PC Client) now Nokia Ovi Player

Nokia Music (PC Client), Nokia's software for managing and transferring music to Nokia devices, has been renamed Nokia Ovi Player. With the name change comes a small update: there's official support for Windows 7 and the addition of 'Recent' to the navigation/filter tabs (joining the existing Albums, Artists and Genre tabs). Nokia Ovi Player is a relatively resource hungry application, but it does offer a one-stop-solution for managing, buying (from the Nokia Music Store), and importing (burning from CD) music as well as transferring music to MTP compatible mobile devices.

Read on in the full article.

Old 13-11-2009, 12:03 AM

fiish is on a distinguished road
Nice to see everything coming together under the Ovi brand.

However, I am a bit concerned that Nokia are trying to get us to use the Ovi-branded software. Although the user interface is nicer, it seems to be far more resource hungry and would only run smoothly on high spec PCs. I still prefer the old PC Suite software because it gives me more control and has much better performance.

Surely with the popularity of not-very-powerful netbooks (including one from Nokia themselves) they have many good reasons to focus on making the software perform well? Slow computer programs put users off almost as much as broken ones IMHO.

Old 13-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Looks like another .Net based application to me. And one that will cause any of my PCs to fall to their knees. Avoiding....

Old 13-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Unregistered

.Net ?

Looks more like Qt (haven't downloaded to verify!)

Old 13-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Unregistered

What does an Ovi Player play?

... It plays Ovis.

Or is it movies? Or...?

Incredibly stupid of Nokia to rename something clear to confuse the public. Nokia is doing everything it can to make sure it's services fail hard. Steve I expect this will
be rewritten until it takes up 2GB of RAM and doesn't sync any more. Then they'll promote the guys who wrote it.

Old 13-11-2009, 12:10 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Beta

Thanks for the news.

I dont care about the name. And by the way they didnt confuse so many people because the users of this software know its Beta and anything can be modified in next releases including the name.

I like the new tweaks and it seems slicker.

Will this (Full) support for the N900? It recognize my E90 but it said i connect it in unsupported method (it asks for MTD:Media Transfer Data) while my E90 only support PC Suite and Mass Storage modes. In another word: will N900 support MTD? This is very important for me since i use this software to organize,consume,transfer and rip/burn my entire music collection.

Thanks

Old 13-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Unregistered

Hey this actually (surprisingly) ain't that bad. Running pretty okay so far on my acer aspire one.

Old 13-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

Oviplayer

Got message to upgrade to new Ovi Player. Downloaded and now it will not open, windows says there is a problem and Ovi Player has stopped working. Typical Nokia software - crap.

Old 14-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Unregistered

Ovi player / N97 v20

v20 appears to be a disaster for the music player on the N97. I've had to hard reset and reformat E: twice since I installed v20 (and am about to have to do it a third time) - all because of the music player. It just does not seem able to handle 1000 songs - all ripped from CD and transfered to the phone using Nokia/Ovi Player. Even when it doesn't crash, the music player is dreadfully slow on the N97 - 1-2 minutes to open the music player, 10+ seconds to display the list of playlists. Ovi player is now refusing to recognise that the N97 is connected even though Ovi Suite does recognise it ! Trying to use Ovi Player simply causes the phone to reboot. This is badly broken software.
Ads

Old 16-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Trying to use Ovi Player simply causes the phone to reboot. This is badly broken software.
Nokia can't write software.

Old 18-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Unregistered

No problems with it here, installed fine, works nicely. Nokia do seem to have a problem with some of their more inept users though. Those that feel that everything must be somebody else's fault.

Old 19-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Unregistered

Please don't be so quick to assume ineptitude on the part of very experienced Symbian and Windows users. Looking back on my own experience and reviewing the experience of others who have posted, the common problem seems to be playlists. If you don't use playlists, then your experience of Ovi Player and N97 v20 seems to be relatively happy; if you do use playlists to any great extent then I suggest you don't.

Old 29-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Unregistered

compatible issue

ovi player does not work with windows 7, even I run it in Vista compatibility mode in my Windows 7 machine.

Old 30-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Unregistered

Angry What happened to all my track info?

I have been through a couple of (forced) PC suite upgrades, and suddenly all the track info (artist, album etc) is lost in all my AAC-files.
Those files were all carefully ripped from more than 60 CDs using Nokia PC suite from the time I had a N73, and all the album info came in nicely using Nokia Music Manager from that time.
The files were stored and backed up on 2 external hard disks.
I am currently on an E90, and the PC suite is the last one with this dreadfull heavy OVI music thing. Do I really need to retag all those CDs again?

Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Banned

good4130 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Share : how to rip DVD and convert Video to iPod

This is wonderful conversion software .now I recommend them to you . I hope these messages can help you,you can try them .It is a good choice. you can convert both DVDís and video files to your iPod video. You can enjoy your favorite DVDís and video movies on your iPod as a portable DVD Player.

How to Use

The article includes two parts.

[1]How to rip DVD to iPod (Windows)

1. Download the latest version DVD to iPod Converter + iPod Movie/Video Converter Suite for free (Support iPhone, iPod touch, Apple TV, and iPod video nano as well) and install it.

2. Run the DVD to iPod Converter, load your DVD by clicking 'Open DVD' button or choosing 'Open DVD' from 'File' drop down menu. One or several titles appear in the list after loading DVD.

3. As usual, the longest title is the main file of the movie. You can remove the title you don't like to convert by unchecking the title. Set 'Subtitle', 'Audio Languages' to what you like.
4. To 'Output Folder', Enter the full pathname or choose the path where you want to save your video files by clicking the related button.
5. Click 'Convert' button to start the iPod DVD conversion.
6. Find the .mp4 file that DVD to iPod converter created and drag it into your iTunes library, or select 'Add File to Library' from the 'File' menu and select the encoded movies. Now you can watch it with iTunes or Quicktime Player on your PC.
Tips: Download iTunes 7+quicktime Player package from Apple - QuickTime - Download

7. Load the MP4 files to iPod by clicking 'File -> Update iPod'. Now, you can enjoy the movies on your fifth generation video iPod anywhere and anytime

[2]How to convert iPod video, such as AVI to iPod, WMV to iPod, MPEG to iPod, RM to iPod, RMVB to iPod, ASF to iPod, MPG to iPod, DivX to iPod, XviD to iPod video using "cucusoft iPod Video Converter + DVD to iPod Suite". (Windows)
1. Download the latest version iPod Video Converter + DVD to iPod Converter Suite for free, and install it.
Related download
* To convert RM/RMVB real media files to iPod, Maybe need to install Realplayer:
RealPlayer - The best audio and video player - Real.com
* To convert WMV, ASF to iPod, Maybe need to install Windows Media Player:
Microsoft Windows Media ó Your Digital Entertainment Resource
2. Run iPod Video converter component. And load the video files you'd like to convert by clicking 'Open file' button.

Click 'Output' and choose the pathname where you want to save your video files. Click 'Convert' to start converting video to iPod MP4 or H264 files.
Tips: Before converting, you can click 'Advance -> Video settings' to set 'Video format', 'Resolution', 'Framerate', 'Output Quality'. If you'd like to convert video to H264 files, please set 'Video format' to 'H.264 FQ Variable Bitrate'. 'MPEG4(.mp4) FQ Variable Bitrate' is the default value. Certainly, you can also set 'Audio Bitrate', 'Channels', 'Sample Rate' and 'Volume' in 'Audio Settings' page.

As usual, we set "Resolution" as "320x240" (i.e. default settings), certainly you can also choose other video sizes you like.
3. After converting, you can open the output folder to check and play the iPod video files (.mp4 or .mov) using Quicktime Player (Freeware, Quicktime Player+iTunes downloading address Apple - QuickTime - Download ).
4. Transfer the iPod videos to iTunes by draging or clicking "File -> Add File to Library". Now, you can enjoy them on iTunes. Then hit "File -> Update iPod" to sync to your iPod.

More detail information at http://www.dvdtoipodsoft.com/cucusof...ter-suite.html