All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-06-2009, 07:43 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
iPlayer streaming problems

Now that the N95 is now officially supported by the BBC iPlayer, I wanted to share a problem I'm having with it, in the hopes that someone can help.

When I first used the iPlayer (long ago when it was first released) the widget would work fine on my N95. Unfortunately it didn't take long - maybe about a fortnight or so - before it started jumping and breaking up on every video. I hoped that this new S60 iPlayer app, officially for the N95, would resolve this problem... but sadly not.

I have uploaded a video to YouTube showing exactly what happens when I try to play a video.

Someone suggested that it would be because my internet connection was too slow and therefore it wasn't streaming fast enough. This is not the case because I have 8Mb broadband which is 8x faster than BBC themselves recommend, and it is extremely stable (plus I can see the telephone exchange from my window). What strikes me as strange is that it breaks up in exactly the same place every time I play a video, which isn't normally the case if a slow internet connection was the culprit.

I've had new firmware installed and had the phone hard reset since I last tried the iPlayer and yet I'm still having the same problem.

Isn't anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Last edited by zxon; 11-06-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
Now that the N95 is now officially supported by the BBC iPlayer, I wanted to share a problem I'm having with it, in the hopes that someone can help.

When I first used the iPlayer (long ago when it was first released) the widget would work fine on my N95. Unfortunately it didn't take long - maybe about a fortnight or so - before it started jumping and breaking up on every video. I hoped that this new S60 iPlayer app, officially for the N95, would resolve this problem... but sadly not.

It could be that iPlayer is downloading the highest quality/highest resolution stream which is aimed at PCs.
Nokia hardware isnt really up to decoding that (and also has to re-size the image on the fly).
I don't know how you can select a lower quality/resolution stream, unless there's a hidden settings menu somewhere?
I am not experiencing the problem on my 5800XM, but it's native screen resolution is 640x400 (or close to that) whereas the N95 is much lower.

Last edited by dez_borders; 12-06-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Ads

Old 12-06-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
It could be that iPlayer is downloading the highest quality/highest resolution stream which is aimed at PCs.
Nokia hardware isnt really up to decoding that (and also has to re-size the image on the fly).
I don't know how you can select a lower quality/resolution stream, unless there's a hidden settings menu somewhere?
I am not experiencing the problem on my 5800XM, but it's native screen resolution is 640x400 (or close to that) whereas the N95 is much lower.
That's certainly possible. The N95 having to resize a stream down to 320x240 could cause jumps and such. Then again I suppose they wouldn't have released it for the N95 if it did that.

I've looked high and low and can't find any streaming settings in the iPlayer. I've fiddled with the RealPlayer and Wireless LAN settings on my phone to no avail (all I've learnt is that WLAN bandwidth in RealPlayer can't be any lower than about 537kbit/s or else the iPlayer will show a general error).

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 13-06-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
That's certainly possible. The N95 having to resize a stream down to 320x240 could cause jumps and such. Then again I suppose they wouldn't have released it for the N95 if it did that.

I've looked high and low and can't find any streaming settings in the iPlayer. I've fiddled with the RealPlayer and Wireless LAN settings on my phone to no avail (all I've learnt is that WLAN bandwidth in RealPlayer can't be any lower than about 537kbit/s or else the iPlayer will show a general error).
The iPlayer install is in ZIP format, so you can unzip the package, scan the code for stream resolution settings and try modifying the code.

Then, re-compress with winzip and rename from iplayer.zip to iplayer.wgz and install on your handset.

That's what we used to do with iPlayer 1.0 to get it working on unsupported handsets like the N82, or to work over 3G as well as WLAN

Old 13-06-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
re-compress with winzip and rename from iplayer.zip to iplayer.wgz and install on your handset.
Thanks, except I'm using the native S60 .SISX version. I'm not sure if I want to go around fiddling with the BBC's code...

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 14-06-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks, except I'm using the native S60 .SISX version. I'm not sure if I want to go around fiddling with the BBC's code...
Wee you may be stuck with the stuttering picture, as the WGZ version streams fine. Have you contacted BBC to ask for advice? Keep us informed.

Old 14-06-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Wee you may be stuck with the stuttering picture, as the WGZ version streams fine. Have you contacted BBC to ask for advice? Keep us informed.
The widget version was exactly the same for me, stuttering audio/video playback. Indeed, I have contacted the Beeb and told them of the problems I've been having, and even given them the link to my video on youtube so they can see for themselves.

As bad it as sounds, I might need to try out both the widget and native versions on a different Wifi connection to see if that makes a difference. If it does, then it might be the settings on my router. I'm positive the internet connection itself is fine because the playback doesn't stop and start to allow for buffering, and streaming on my wifi-connected PC is fine as well.

Absolutely, I'll keep you all informed cos it could be of help to anyone else experiencing this problem.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 14-06-2009, 08:56 AM

YAY!! IT'S WORKING!!!

D'ya know what I did in the end? Restored the factory settings on my wireless router! How stupid do I feel now!??!

After I wrote the last post, I decided to note down all of my settings on the router and factory reset it. The first thing I tried when I got back on was the iPlayer and... well, let's just say I'm enjoying Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow on my N95 as I type this

I was reluctant to factory reset it before because the username and password that o2 broadband setup on my box were weird and were on the box when it arrived - I was never given those details - so I thought factory resetting the box would wipe these out and I'd have to give them a ring. In the end, I figured it wouldn't be a problem because their tech support is free anyway.

Thanks for your help dez_borders.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 14-06-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
The widget version was exactly the same for me, stuttering audio/video playback. Indeed, I have contacted the Beeb and told them of the problems I've been having, and even given them the link to my video on youtube so they can see for themselves.

Which ISP are you with? (Some of them bandwidth throttle iPlayer traffic for quality of service to their other customers).

Does your PC stream iPlayer programmes OK or does it have the same stuttering as the Nokia?

Old 14-06-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Which ISP are you with? (Some of them bandwidth throttle iPlayer traffic for quality of service to their other customers).

Does your PC stream iPlayer programmes OK or does it have the same stuttering as the Nokia?
I've solved the problem now, but I'll still answer your questions

I'm with O2 and I didn't have the same problem on my PC.

[EDIT] Uhoh... 666 posts... this is an evil post

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Last edited by zxon; 14-06-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Old 15-06-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I've solved the problem now
Tell us the solution also please.

Old 15-06-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Tell us the solution also please.
I already posted it but here is the direct link to my post with the solution

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk