All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia Music Store goes live in Nokia Music PC Client

Integration between the Nokia Music PC Client (available via Beta Labs) and the Nokia Music Store has now gone live. This means you can browse and buy music from the Nokia Music Store from within the Nokia Music PC Client application. This gives Nokia a seamless music experience, akin to Apple's iTunes, for discovering, purchasing, downloading and transferring music to a mobile device.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
I'd love to try the Nokia Music beta, but my PC is absolutely nowhere near these recommended specs:

Quote:
# Processor: 1.5 GHz (recommended: 2.5 GHz, or 1.5 GHz dual core)
# Memory: 512 MB (recommended: 2 GB)
# Free disk space: 500 MB (recommended: 40 GB)
# Graphics: 32 MB integrated (recommended: 128 MB dedicated)
My HDD is 80 gigabytes, their recommended free space amount would take up half of it!

I bought my computer brand new last year, surely there must be a fair number of other people in the same situation?

Old 08-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Unregistered

You won't need half that spec. Seems to work ok for me on a 4 year old laptop with 40GB.

However, I don't' think it will inspire me to plug my head in.
Ads

Old 08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Indeed. All of Nokia's PC software is too resource intensive for my liking. However I've also run it just fine on a laptop with specification quite a bit lower that what is recommended (it was a bit slow though).

The Store was quick - probably not surprising - because I assume it is just a browser object / engine (IE) running inside the application. I think a lot of the resource requirement is due to it being built on .NET.

p.s I updated the video to something more viewable.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
You won't need half that spec. Seems to work ok for me on a 4 year old laptop with 40GB.
Quote:
However I've also run it just fine on a laptop with specification quite a bit lower that what is recommended (it was a bit slow though).
I wonder if those high specs are only required for part of the app, but not most of it?

If that's the case they ought to release a "lite" version without all the unnecessary bells and whistles.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Unregistered

F*** Windows Media DRM

Old 09-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
F*** Windows Media DRM
Is it any worse than other DRMs?

Old 11-08-2008, 09:43 AM

danemanes is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Critical view of Nokia DRM support

Hi Rafe,

I would enjoy reading a more critical view of the Nokia DRM and how it has been implemented on their phones. I've got a new E71 that simply refuses to license DRM media when I have a non-Nokia SD card installed (it's a SanDisk 8GB).

Nokia simply says that if I use a Nokia SD card then all will be well, but putting down 90 for the privlege is something I am loath to try.

I'd appreciate you checking how they support SD media in combination with the Music Store in your future article.

Pls send me a private mail if you want more details of the problems I have encountered.

Regards,
Dane

Old 18-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Chendur

Is it Open?

Contrary to all their so called ads 'Open to Everything'...
The store used m$oft drm, supported system is only windows xp or vista and only internet explorer is supported...
Completely useless one for now unless they make it truly open....