All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-09-2009, 08:33 PM

karlmueller is on a distinguished road
Swap SD card between different phones + alter install log

Hey,

first of all my apologys for those dumb questions. I'm a total n00b when it comes to Symbian cause my cell phone is Windows Mobile based and I've never owned a Symbian based phone either.

Now my friend got a 5800 XpressMusic and I'm trying to help her a little bit but as I don't know much about Symbian myself I need your help now in order to help her lol

So me and my friend would really appreciate it if you could help us out a little bit although we are total n00bs

So let's come to our questions now:

-before she got the 5800 XpressMusic she got an older different XpressMusic phone. She had a 4 GB MicroSD card in the older XpressMusic phone and now she got the 8 GB MicroSD card which came with the 5800. Now she swapped the cards between those phones without reformatting them and I'm wondering whether it is OK to do so cause I'm afraid that using one card in two different phones at a time could cause some conflicts?

-she wants to install a program on a sperate MicroSD card so that it doesn't appear in her 5800's programs menu when her regular memory card is inserted. However from what we know the given program would still appear in the phones install log. So is there any (easy) way to alter this log after installing the program so that it doesn't appear there anymore?

It would really be great if you could help us out by answering those questions

thx

karlmueller

p.s. I hope that I posted this in the correct section as I read that the 5800 is Symbian S60 v5 too so I thought this is the right section to post. If it isn't I'm sorry for posting in the wrong section :(

Old 17-09-2009, 02:04 PM

karlmueller is on a distinguished road
First of all sorry that I posted those questions yesterday without really searching for the answers myself in the first place :(

And in addition to that I deff posted this in the wrong section as I saw now that there's a sperate 5800 section on here.

So again sorry for this!

So from what I understand from the 5800 FAQs here (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...ips__Hints.php) (which of course I should have totally read before posting :( ) swapping the SD cards between different phones shouldn't be a problem. Is that right?

And regarding deleting the install log I came across this tool

http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Sy...er-69270.shtml

But it says S60v3 so I'm wondering wether it will work on the 5800's S60v5 or not?

thx

karlmueller

Old 17-09-2009, 03:25 PM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Hi

all i can tell you is, i removed my memory card from my N95 and put it in my N97 without doing any reformatting and it still held all the information (photos, music etc) although i didn't have any apps loaded on the memory card.