All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 07-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Top 10 Apps worth buying for S60 5th Edition phones

It may be early days for this variant of S60, and of course many S60 3rd Edition commercial applications work fine too (though they won't be optimised for the new screen resolution(s) and touch), but if you own a compatible smartphone, which applications should you be willing to dip into your wallet for? Which are the best, in terms of both quality and value? It's telling that in these days of freeware and Open Source software, I had to dig relatively hard to come up with a Top 10 at all, but hopefully more serious commercial apps will be along in due course. Comments welcome and I'll (of course) keep the Top 10 regularly updated.

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Unregistered

No Profimail. Best app by far in my book!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Well, ProfiMail is fully functioning, but it's basically the S60 3rd Edition version and there's almost no concession to the much large screen or finger touch input. And I've never been a fan of apps making up their own UIs..... Sorry.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:22 PM

abruenin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Well, ProfiMail is fully functioning, but it's basically the S60 3rd Edition version and there's almost no concession to the much large screen or finger touch input. And I've never been a fan of apps making up their own UIs..... Sorry.
There is a ProfiMail version 3.1 for 5th Ed., using the whole screen (now the preview area below the mail list does make sense) and with touch controls. I am a heavy mobile mail user and ProfiMail is IMHO the best mail client for Symbian by far.
I am also no fan of apps with their own UI, though Profimail got better with V3 and Theme color support.
But from the functionality view, ProfiMail is unmatched.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruenin View Post
There is a ProfiMail version 3.1 for 5th Ed., using the whole screen (now the preview area below the mail list does make sense) and with touch controls. I am a heavy mobile mail user and ProfiMail is IMHO the best mail client for Symbian by far.
I am also no fan of apps with their own UI, though Profimail got better with V3 and Theme color support.
But from the functionality view, ProfiMail is unmatched.
I was wondering if Steve had seen 3.1 when he made his comments. I straight away looked at profimail but couldn't see what he was talking about. Looks like he doesn't know either.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:52 AM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
hm, besides gravity there is really nothing in that list that I'd be tempted to throw money at. Hope the ovi store will change that soon!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Skulls lighter

Nothing on that list for me. Mostly frivolous unnecessary stuff that I would only try out for free. Even the Office app really is attempting to enable functionality that really doesn't suit mobile use.

But I have paid for profimail. It works VERY nicely on 5800 and gives something that Nokia doesn't plus it is actually useful to most people.

Unlike a twitter app, which does something that most people can easily live without. I've looked at twitter but don't understand why I would want it.
A fancy user interface is all very well, but I use an app for its core function, not to play with the interface. A app can do as good or better job without speciall effects.

I've got iPlayer, google maps and accuweather which is very unaacurate.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:35 AM

mjbr is on a distinguished road
anyone knows a replacement for handy safe?
It's a great app, but for USD35 (+ vat)??? and not a one-time fee, so I will have to put more money to it if I change phones and/or os...

Old 07-04-2009, 01:13 PM

tym79m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbr View Post
anyone knows a replacement for handy safe?
It's a great app, but for USD35 (+ vat)??? and not a one-time fee, so I will have to put more money to it if I change phones and/or os...
I use Phone Wallet from symbianguru.com. I don't know how it compares to Handy Safe, which I've not tried, and I don't know how or if it runs on the 5800, but it may be worth a look. It's 10 USD.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:28 PM

mjbr is on a distinguished road
Thx a lot. Will check that out...

Old 07-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

I paid for Forcaweather the other week. Really like how that works best weather app I've seen, should check out the trial.

Profimail still tops in my book though. LCG Jukebox is worth the money too I reckon.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

Handy Shell

That Handy Shell is awesome!

Old 07-04-2009, 12:48 PM

aquawell is on a distinguished road
Touch screen version SBSH LuckyCoins game! (reviewed S60v3 by AllAboutSymbian here http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/revie...ucky_Coins.php ).
Feel fun and power of touch screen gaming.
http://forums.sbsh.net/index.php?showtopic=24820

Reminders for S60 5th edition.
http://forums.sbsh.net/index.php?showtopic=24818

Old 07-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Unregistered

Best Crypto should be on the list.

It's great for hiding your p0rn and works very well on the 5800xm.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Unregistered

Spb Wallet is probably the best and support Win Mob as well, alternatively SplashID which supports even more. Handy is just Symbian and has a pretty poor UI really.
Agree with Profimail until Nokia Email 1.1 comes out on the platform, this should be on everyones list irrespective of the UI it does email better than anything else
Like others I don't see the point of twitter