From Jay's lists, and I've added emboldened notes of my own where appropriate:
- Don’t cover microphones with your hands (easy to avoid on the 808 in particular, but get to know where the mike holes are on your phone)
- Use tripod or handheld stabiliser (particularly important when using the PureView zoom, since any hand movements will be amplified)
- Don’t change focus if moving around – wait until you stop and then focus.
- Try and stay within 50m of the stage. This will apparently affect video due to reduced lighting (though we have seen PureView’s zoom assist here in bringing the action closer).
- Nokia 808 PureView has spotlight scene for greater contrast. Use this if someone is standing underneath a spotlight.
- If you’re moshing, put your phone on a wrist strap in case it falls off your hand (never done this, but I'll regret not doing it one day, I suspect!)
- Pan slowly. This will ensure your video is clearer (the number one rookie mistake - panning too quickly. Aim to pan THREE times slower than you think you need to.)
- Use the LED/turn it off when appropriate. Close up open mics, the LED light might help otherwise, keep it off.
- Building on the tripod tip, use this to get some unusually high view points.
- Watch out for your battery! Video recording eats up more juice. Think about bringing a spare battery (because the batteries are interchangeable on the 808) or even better, bring a portable charger so you can have continuous recording.
- If you have other cameras, use them to (make your friends do some recording) as least get some different view points that you can mash later in a video. You can trust yourself to keep the best video and audio on your 808. If you’re lucky, your other friends also have 808s.
A good tips summary for shooting concert video all round, I think, even if you don't own the 808.
As an example of what can be achieved, here's a recent video from 808 PureView Music Recordings, a good feed to follow to see what others are capturing music-wise with the 808. It's 'Ruby Jane Show' at Rauma Blues festival: