All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 31-03-2003, 04:31 PM

mbailey is on a distinguished road
P800 calendar sync problems with Outlook - THE SOLUTION!

Until recently I was having major problems syncing the Calendar within Outlook to my P800. I finally got it to work and would recommend that if you're having the same problem you try the following:

1. Download the latest patch/update of the PC software from the Sony Ericsson website - at www.sonyericsson.com click on Global Support Area, then type p800 in the box and click on the green link below. The click on Synchronisation - bottom right of the screen - and download the latest version. (It's quite big, at around 40MB). At time of writing the latest version was 1.3.1.
1. Install SR-1 and Service Pack 3 into Office. (SR-1 is available at http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/O2kSR1DDL.aspx). You can check if you already have this by clicking on Help/About - if it has either SR-1 or SP3 after Outlook 2000 at the top then you know where you stand.
2. Disable your AntiVirus software, as this can interfere with Outlook.
3. Disable your Firewall
4. Disable Instant messaging software (such as MSN Messenger)
5. Make Outlook your default email software (right-click on IE logo on your desktop, select Properties and Programs.

I can safely say that it was the last option that fixed it for me, but it may also have been a combination of any of the above points that was causing it not to sync. Hopefully Sony Ericsson will fix this in a newer version of the PC Suite.

I hope this save someone else some hairloss!!! Aside from this I've had no problems with this phone and have to say it is a fantastic product.

Enjoy!
Martin B

Old 31-03-2003, 09:22 PM

dezoe is on a distinguished road
I bet IŽll have to add "Format C:" to that list when I "upgrade"
Great phone *#€!@# software...

Old 01-04-2003, 12:37 AM

Muzikfreakah is on a distinguished road
What sync problems did you specifically have with calendar/outlook?

Old 01-04-2003, 06:49 AM

P800 Sync problems

When running the sync application everything would appear to sync (I was only actually syncing tasks, calendar and contacts), but calendar information would not transfer.

I can 100% attribute this to Outlook NOT being set as the default email client. When I change it, it syncs. When I change it back to OE it appears to sync (e.g. does not give errors) but does not transfer the calendar information. According to SE data support in the UK this is an issue to which they have had hundreds of calls, so I suspect it'll be fixed in the next release of PC Suite software.

They initially thought it was a problem with Norton, however it syncs fine on my PC even when Norton is enabled, so I cannot speak from experience here...

Old 06-04-2003, 08:11 PM

kingrob is on a distinguished road

It works a treat with OfficeXP SP2!

Old 07-04-2003, 10:21 AM

royster70 is on a distinguished road
Re: P800 calendar sync problems with Outlook - THE SOLUTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbailey
5. Make Outlook your default email software (right-click on IE logo on your desktop, select Properties and Programs.

I can safely say that it was the last option that fixed it for me, but it may also have been a combination of any of the above points that was causing it not to sync. Hopefully Sony Ericsson will fix this in a newer version of the PC Suite.

Martin B
I agree with you on the 5th point - I was experiencing the same problems with calendar sync with 1.3.1. When I set the default email client to Outlook it starting working as expected.

The other things u mentioned did not make any difference one way or the other.

Old 07-04-2003, 10:26 AM

Outlook Sync problem

I only mentioned the other points as SE Technical support mentioned that these could be problems, and as part of the diagnostic process asked me to disable items such as Antivirus and Firewall software, although I agree it does not seem logical for firewall software to interfere with syncing of only one item! Still, it may be that they cause other issues so it cannot hurt to do this if you're trying to solve a problem...

But yes, it appears to be that it won't sync the calendar unless Outlook is the default email client - daft but true.[/quote]

Old 07-04-2003, 10:53 AM

i did have the T68i XTNDConnect sync installeld - so got rid of that and and did a a repair on Office it began to sync the calender

it's still not happy doing the defaullt date range for some reason (but i fiddled with the the date range options and got it working) - Outlook it still throws a warning saying an external app is trying to access it

it looks more like an issue in their sync software when it comes to the calender - Outlook has always been the default - the 7650 sync has had no problems (or HotSync for the Plam, or ActiveSync for the PocketPC) syncing with the Outlook calender on the machine

Old 07-04-2003, 11:23 AM

Every appointment 3 hours out

Can anybody explain why every appointment I sync with Outlook is 3 hours out, and how to solve it?

Olvar

Old 07-04-2003, 12:46 PM

You could get up three hours later...

But seriously (and I know this is a long shot) I'd check the time zone settings either on the PC or on the phone. If you're in Washington DC and the phone is set to New York time (sorry - can't remember the initials for US time zones) then this could explain it.

Aside from that, it's gotta be a bug. Try reporting to SE tech support.

Martin B
Ads

Old 16-11-2004, 10:36 AM
gumby

Beer Thanks

Should have read this thread first before spending hours trying to fix the problem, updating the sync s/w and ultimately resetting the phone like an idiot. Owe you a beer for this one.

James