All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-04-2011, 11:31 PM

jagger is on a distinguished road
Ovi Store - Sorry, this item is not available for your country.

"Sorry, this item is not available for your country.
Browse more great content in the "Related" section below."

This restriction is really frustrating.... any idea to bypass this one? I am willing to pay for the software I would like to have in my phone permanently, unfortunately I wonder why Ovi store restrict too much.
Ads

Old 20-04-2011, 01:48 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Apple do this as well

I'm not sure about Android

but its not just Ovi and often its not the store but the developer who selects which market they would like to sell their application into.

I know that we (I work for a company that amongst other things writes iOS apps) often restrict the markets we allow some of our applications to be sold into. Mostly for support reasons.

Old 20-04-2011, 06:23 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Nokia (Ovi Store) does not restrict/control where the content is and isn not distributed/available, except when there is country-specific legistlation that prevents certain kinds of content as inappropriate in that country.

Such legistlation might, e.g., disallow true or simulated gaming (e.g., poker card games) to be sold in a certain country (such as Saudi Arabia), or it might be disallowed to have an English language only app to be sold in France, or such.

Only the content provider (developer) that wishes to publish their creations through Ovi Store makes the decision for their content items.

Content provider/developer/publisher decisions, that indirectly may exclude the content from certain countries are thus, for example:

- They've developed content that's deemed to be "immoral" or otherwise "inappropriate" (usually for religious reasons) by the country

- They've developed content that is not available in a language that must be supported in the country

- They've priced the content item so high, that that the country's laws and regulations says cannot be allowed in the country

- They've decided - as given as an example by seki above - that they simply don't want to (cannot afford to) deal with the customer support issues from some or most countries.

- Etc.

So, if a specific content item (whether a game, other app or whatever) is not available in our country via Ovi Store, then contact the actual developer/publisher of the content (and not Nokia/Ovi), and ask them why they've restricted the content distribution in Ovi Store, and whether they could change their mind.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:04 PM

One-Pack is on a distinguished road
I am in China, tired it over a shared VPN connection but didnīt work. Currently trying to figure out wih the VPN provider why.
Idea would be: Laptop connetced ADSL over LAN, share Internet over WiFI, activate VPN on laptop, connect C7 to shared WiFi....voila.
So far only theory....

Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 PM

superhyper is on a distinguished road
That could possibly work, but you'll need to make sure your VPN is a "full tunnel" instead of a "split-tunnel" setup. Also I think it might relate to the country the phone was purchased in, but I'm not sure if OVI bothers to check that or not.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:45 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
I don't know about OVI

but Apple use your billing address to restrict sales ..
If you have a CC billing address in say China .. you'll be well restricted as to buying anything restricted to say Europe.