All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-02-2011, 08:01 AM

Queensparker is on a distinguished road
No refunds from Ovi Store!

I tried to downlaod an app from Ovi Store twice. Both times the store failed. I was charged for both. I asked Nokia for a refund and was met by a list of bank info requirements for repayment that was (a) amazingly long and included details that I have never been asked foir before eg. IBAN (International Bank Account Number (NOT my account number!) the Bank Control Key and ABA Routing No.; and (2) left me worried about data security.

They refused to refund any other way. I later saw that many people had reported the same issue on Nokia Support Discussions.

As I understand it this is illegal under UK law when they must make payment in a form reasonably convenient to me or deliver the goods. And it is a great way of ensuring that they lose previously loyal customers.

A hapless company.

Old 18-02-2011, 08:23 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensparker View Post
IBAN (International Bank Account Number (NOT my account number!)
As of Jan 1st, within the EU, the IBAN number is your account number, and the only one that should be used or allowed. In other words, it is your new/current account number. Your bank might still allow you to use the old one out of courtesy when dealing with them directly, but anyone making a payment from another bank to you, must use the IBAN number.

Old 18-02-2011, 09:08 AM

phessler is on a distinguished road
IBAN is basically the country code, your bank's code, and your account number, all wrapped up in one fancy number. of course, that simply doesn't exist in the US, so hopefully you aren't trying to get a refund there.

Edit: Oups, you already said you were in the UK. Just pretend the snarky comment at the end was general-snark, as opposed to aimed-at-you-snark.

Last edited by phessler; 18-02-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: didn't see "UK"

Old 18-02-2011, 11:11 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
And if you hoped to get a refund, and got it, isn't it quite reasonable of them, that all you need to do is to give them your account info, and the'll deposit the money there, regardless of how you originally paid for it (especially if you used operator billing, very few operators have any mechanisms to get refunds out of them, or pay them for them to refund someone else)?

Old 18-02-2011, 09:31 PM

greycounciller is on a distinguished road
I too had this problem with a double payment on Ovi and was totally put into the unknown about being asked for a IBAN.
Thing is, when I phoned my bank (Natwest) and asked them about it; they were free to give it, but I was asked how much the refund was.
When I said it was 1.50, I was advised that it's not a good way to get a refund as the charge to do it that way is about 7!
He said they should really do it the way it was paid for.
I've since left off doing the refund as I can afford to lose 1.50.
7 would annoy me.
Has anyone else gone through the whole process?

Old 19-02-2011, 12:47 PM

phessler is on a distinguished road
you're being charged 7 quid to receive a transfer? that sound shady to me. I would imagine that the sender (Nokia) would have to pay the costs associated with the transaction.

Old 19-02-2011, 02:36 PM

mcduarte2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
you're being charged 7 quid to receive a transfer? that sound shady to me. I would imagine that the sender (Nokia) would have to pay the costs associated with the transaction.
He is not in the Eurozone. If Nokia makes a transfer from other EU country, then his bank may well ask for such amount of money, as he is outside the Euro area.

For Euro area costumers the cost of receiving money from other Euro area country is the same as of receiving money from his own country.

Old 21-02-2011, 11:44 AM

greycounciller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduarte2000 View Post
He is not in the Eurozone. If Nokia makes a transfer from other EU country, then his bank may well ask for such amount of money, as he is outside the Euro area.

For Euro area costumers the cost of receiving money from other Euro area country is the same as of receiving money from his own country.
Just to clarify, I'm in the UK with a UK bank account. The info I was given was from my Bank. The original OP, I don't know where he's from.
If any UK poster has been through the process, maybe they can let us know what the costs are if any.
Ads