All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-03-2003, 03:25 PM

ericwimp is on a distinguished road
Email Access help required for a newbie

Hi All

I took delivery of my phone 2 days ago, and finally got o2 to setup my mms and wap access. But no matter how hard i try, i cannot get my email to work - it just tries to access my mailbox, then time-outs after a couple of minutes. I think i've put the correct settings in, and have tried 2 different mailboxes now but with no luck. Being a complete newbie with the phone, i'm also struggling with the internet access. Whenever i go online i get WAP, not internet. Are the two connected? Do i need to setup Web access before i can get my emails? If so, how?

Any advice would be great - i've run out of ideas what to try.

Thanks

Old 27-03-2003, 04:49 PM

daniatt is on a distinguished road
To retrieve/send email and browse using xHTML browser of Nokia 3650, you need GRPS subscription to your network provider.

WAP is only for WAP browsing

Old 28-03-2003, 08:01 AM

ericwimp is on a distinguished road
All sorted now - well nearly

I've managed to get it sorted. I spoke to someone at my service provider who knew what he was talking about (makes a change). I had set up GPRS access (cause the MMS was working and WAP was accessing over GPRS (sorry - forgot to mention that in my original post)), but the GPRS setup i had was using wap.02.co.uk as the access point. To access the internet (and email) i had to add a GPRS service to access mobile.o2.co.uk and change the ip address etc to access this. Once this was done my emails went and i can now browse the web.

Although one problem resulting from this - when i send an email, once it has gone, i can't access WAP or internet again unless i switch the phone off and on - it seems to need a reset. Does anyone else have this problem, and is there any way to reset the phone without switching it off and on?

Thanks again

Rich