All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-03-2003, 11:59 AM

nrs5 is on a distinguished road
ALARM!>!>!>!>!

I can just not believe it! - if the P800 is switched off, then the (preset) alarms won't go off... I personally think that this is probably the most ridiculos thing ever!>!>!
and i certainly cannot think of any reason for it being so.... (i own a Nokia 9210 and a 8990, and both of them do it...)

I hate having to sleep with the phone turned on all night just so that i can have an alarm!>!>!> - is there any way round this!!!

But other than that i am absolutely in love with my P800...

Old 24-03-2003, 12:26 PM

Re: ALARM!>!>!>!>!

switch p800 to flight mode - so you won't be disturbed by phone calls, but the alarm will ring in the morning

Old 24-03-2003, 02:15 PM

That's kool... thanks... but i still think that it is stupid for a phone of this calibre not to be able to switch itself on with the alarm funbction (as my 9210 did!!)

Maybe they could fix this in next update?!?!

Old 24-03-2003, 05:26 PM

Durzel is on a distinguished road
Im likely to sound stupid by saying this, but if the phone is switched off (i.e. no power) how is it supposed to know when to sound the alarm?

I'd rather have the ability to completely switch the phone off than to switch it off and still use up a "trickle" of the battery. Also, you can just put it in silent mode cant you?

Old 24-03-2003, 05:29 PM

Andy_P is on a distinguished road
in the same argument you could say that you don't want the clock to carry on when its switched off as it's trickling the battery.. obviously that isn't the case but thats the same process that should enable the power-off alarm.

Very frustrating as it makes me leave the phone on overnight which means the battery is even less.

Old 24-03-2003, 06:09 PM

nrs5 is on a distinguished road
@ Durzel
I don't think you understand my problem... which is like andy's... I dont want to have the phone on all night or all the time(not necessarily because I dont want to recieve any calls, but either to conserve power, or to reduce [phone ]radiation exposure....)

Plus the phone is never truely not doing anything, (even when power is off) because then how can the time keep (excuse the lingo but..) ticking.... if u see what I mean...

Plus on most phones, inc ericsson ones, the phone will power up for alarms! - it just makes good sence to have this function included...

Old 24-03-2003, 07:50 PM

Fais is on a distinguished road
I remembering reading from somwhere that SE did try to get the alarm to switch on, but it was causing far too many problems for them, and they had good reason not to implement it.... can't remember why exactly.

Old 25-03-2003, 05:27 AM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs5
@ Durzel
I don't think you understand my problem... which is like andy's... I dont want to have the phone on all night or all the time(not necessarily because I dont want to recieve any calls, but either to conserve power, or to reduce [phone ]radiation exposure....)
Well, ok, you'll still loose power in flight mode (although it does use less power in flight mode, with the radio off), but when it's in flight mode, there is NO radition!!! The GSM radio radiates only when it's on, the PDA itself doesn't radiate at all.

So perhaps this is still an option...(although I agree it's not the best one. I myself use my old t68i as an alarm now)

Old 25-03-2003, 06:03 AM

fonzki is on a distinguished road
Not only for the alarm, but also for the calendar events. Or Tasks. If you turn on your phone after the event has passed, it won't sound off. You would have forgotten that you have to do something.

Old 25-03-2003, 08:28 AM

Delfino aka Amir is on a distinguished road
buy an alarm clock

normally when I go to sleep, I switch off P800 and charge the battery.

To wake me up, I have a simple alarm clock.

let's not use a bulldozer to crack a nut.
CXC162001 R1G05
CDA162001/8 R1F04

Old 25-03-2003, 10:24 PM

hudsonhawk is on a distinguished road
i have my aunts "veeery old" siemens sl10, which is not working, but it has the same thing, alarms!
Ads

Old 07-05-2003, 11:01 AM

tiborakos is on a distinguished road
Agree that it is a serious problem not to be able to use Alarm and Diary Functionalities on the phone (or PDA if you prefer). That lowers the functionalities of the appliance. Please note that almost all phones and PDAs are able of that task (ie t68, Clie, Palm etc). Do you think the problem can be solved by using any of the available software applications?

Old 07-05-2003, 11:07 AM

chris.orton is on a distinguished road
I asked a friend who works for Symbian (you here Neil?) to write an app to power up the phone at a preset time...

I got the sort of answer you'd expect, but hopefully somebody there will take it on.

Old 07-05-2003, 11:11 AM

Cardinal is on a distinguished road
personally I don't see the issue. In sleep mode it will use almost as much battery as off mode (as someone said there are processes running). So put it to sleep and stop worrying!

Old 07-05-2003, 11:34 AM

aaronjb is on a distinguished road
Hmm... I wonder how 'off' the phone is when it's 'off'... If you see what I mean..

I guess the reason all the old phones can do it is because they use proprietory single-tasking operating systems, and it's quite easy to simply give the system two states - powered up and doing whatever you're currently doing, or 'off' and simply running as a clock that checks against a list of events every second. That way, it consumes minimal power, as it's only really 'working' once every second.

But with a multi-tasking threaded OS, for the device to support alarms when 'off', it really means the only thing you're switching off is the screen.
Take my iPaq for example - even when it's off, the battery drops noticeably (say 10% a day with no use).

It's much harder to set up a phone running Symbian, then, to respond to alarms when it's off. Either you trade off a massive loss of battery life when the phone is 'off' (because actually, it'd be on, with the full OS running, and any errant tasks still consuming vast processor resources), or virtually zero battery loss because the system is completely suspended (all tasks are sleeping, the processor is dead, and any register states are stored in memory, so the only battery usage is keeping the memory alive by refreshing it).

Do the Nokia series 60 phones support alarms when off? If they do I'd be interested to see what the battery drain is like when they are 'off'.

Either, IMHO, Nokia decided to leave the whole system up and running when the phone is off (and just kill the screen), or they have implemented an entirely independant alarm system into the phone - which is possible, simply a PIC with a list of events to check against on a time basis..

I could be way off with all of this, of course, but that's my thoughts, hopefully they'll make sense to someone!

Aaron