All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Discovering podcasts with Symbian^3's Podcatcher

Built into Symbian^3's new Podcatcher software is a link into an online podcast discovery system, which I wanted to showcase - it's a step up from Nokia's clunky old manually-compiled directory, but how good (or bad) is it? With examples and screenshots, I try to point out that even if podcast discovery still isn't perfect, then it's easier than it used to be.

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:24 AM

dansus is on a distinguished road
I was worried podcasting wouldnt make it to Sv3, as someone who lives in the current version, its omission would have had me looking at other OS's.

Any news on Internet Radio?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 AM

brendand is on a distinguished road
It should be said that even though Podcatcher is in the Symbian asset, neither Nokia or anyone else for that matter is under an obligation to include it in their devices. The may include their own Podcast client, the may not include any. Rest assured though that a Symbian^3 version of Podcatcher will be available to download.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 AM

krisq is on a distinguished road
I'm using Podcatcher on N97 and I love it! It's much, much better than the default app.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Jacek

What podcasts?

Dear Steve, could you list the podcasts that you regularly listen to, please?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:26 AM

Taomyn is on a distinguished road
Question

Steve, I'd be interested to hear how many of your favourite podcasts appear at http://gpodder.net/ for comparison - it what I use on my N900

Old 10-08-2010, 10:43 AM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
As long as you can download it on any phone without any silly certificate errors at least it won't matter if some moron in nokia decides that enterprise users don't need podcasting.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:01 AM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Dansus, I've heard there is a Nokia internet radio app in what they apparently call the "backstage" stage of development, i.e. not even alpha yet (if I understood it correctly). But it's in the making, and given that they had one before would think it should not take too long to get it done.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 AM

llamaluvr is on a distinguished road
I was frustrated with the Podcasting app at first, until I realized you could import your own OPML feed. http://opmlmanager.com is a great visual tool for creating a custom feed with all your favorite podcasts. I put all my podcasts on there from my PC, then just type in the OPML feed url into Podcasting, subscribe to the podcasts in the feed, and I'm all set. It only takes a couple of minutes to get everything back to normal when I update the firmware on my (non-UDP) E71.

IMO, this functionality makes Podcasting ridiculously powerful- it's super-easy to take your feed anywhere, and to share it with anyone. I set my wife's phone up with the same feed. When she wants to share a podcast with me, she can add it to the feed and then either one of our phones can subscribe to it. I gave Podcatcher a look but it doesn't have this killer feature, so it's not as good for me thus far.
Ads

Old 10-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Yes, Podcatcher does let you import (and export) OPML files - I've done it 8-)

Old 10-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Arnaudl

Thinks Podcatcher needs improvements?

Hi All,
So some of the comments that Podcatcher needs some improvements.

If you have ideas, don't hesitate to submit them to the package owner or on the ideas website (http://ideas.symbian.org).

Or even better, as it's open source and you can make contirbutions, you can do the changes you want yourself and contribute them.
Here is the landing page for the Podcatcher package: http://developer.symbian.org/main/so...ges/podcatcher

There are Kudos to get for your work and pariticipation.

Happy development and contribution

Old 10-08-2010, 04:49 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
The Podcatcher is nice to have on your phone, there's even one on the i8910, but honestly, a desktop client (I use both the Zune software and iTunes) is so much easier and better.

When I sync my iPod nano or Zune 80 every morning before work, besides music playlists, it also downloads and updates podcasts per my settings, all while you're inhaling your ritual cup of Starbucks/Dunkin' Donuts coffee or hopping in the shower.

To echo the first comment though, the Internet Radio app is aces. Get on bringing it to Symbian 3/4 and Meego, Nokia!

Old 10-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Unregistered

I've been using the Podactcher on my N97 for a while now. It's alot better than the Nokia Podcasting app because it's easier to use, to download the programs and to play them directly from the Podcatcher app.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 PM
peterp4n

Internet Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansus View Post
Any news on Internet Radio?
Nokia seems to have plans to contribute their Internet Radio package to SF, but it seems to be scheduled for Symbian^4: http://developer.symbian.org/main/so.../internetradio
I'm also curious if there will be an Internet Radio package for the N8.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:08 AM
Unregistered

I guess AAS doesn't want people commenting on "Thoughts on Nokia's Developer Day from Developer Marek Pawlowski"