All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 18-07-2010, 01:59 PM
KPO'M

The AT&T effect is very real. On my N95, N85, and N97, I could identify two specific spots along my commute where I would always drop calls. On elevators, too, I would usually get a signal until right before it reached my floor (causing dropped calls all the time).

Old 18-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescot View Post
Another idiot here, in this case my X6 doing an Iphone4 impersonation. Guess I better make sure I camp out as close as I can to the nearest mast from now on if this is the way things are going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgfHyj43t1A

The X6 antenna is not exposed and possible to touch. Therefore your problem is shielding and no device is immune to shielding RF.

The iPhone problem is different, it is just touching, no need to shield.

You were doing really well there, for the first four words.

Old 18-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPO'M View Post
Actually, in general the iPhone 4 does get much better reception than the previous models.
It wouldn't take much to improve over the previous models, so bad were they. You could probably improve 3 fold and still not be up to the standards of other makers.

Old 18-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadkenny View Post

In a big corporate it takes a lot more than just poaching expert engineers. It requires the right management at all levels, infrastructure, development facilities, procedures, time and money, vision, and even just having the right atmosphere and working conditions.

Take a successful F1 driver and put him in a rubbish team, and he fails to win races.

A good driver in a rubbish team will add good feedback, improve the car and reduce its lap-times.

But this isn't F1, and simple poaching of staff has brought great results many times and there are many examples in history.

The Register put it nicely, as usual in its own defiant style:

"And so inside Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field™, there's no problem with the iPhone 4 that any other smartphone doesn't have — but if you think there is, Apple will give you either a free case or a full refund. In addition, when asked if AT&T would also refund its service fees and allow unhappy users to break their contracts, Jobs said "I believe so."

Why are Apple offering all that if there is no problem that isn't normal for smartphones. Exposed antenna = mistake.

Old 18-07-2010, 06:31 PM

MemphisX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
> Well its obvious that the reception where this guy is, is just tottaly crap.
> no 3g reception, just gsm (and I doubt there is edge or even gprs).
> Well after all the above "hugging" the phone will make the bad reception worse
> but still not loosing it fully. On iPhone 4 things get really really worse!!!

Here's one for you with 3g signals in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C402CcAsNK8
Yes and that guy is just like he is trying to break the phone...not just hugging it...you know thats the typical way of making a phonecall right? GIVE ME A BREAK...I own a N97 classic and a 5310 XM. I tried it on both phones like crazy and what I got was just some small drops on bars 1-3 bars but never tottaly loosing fully the reception. And thats on a place I dont have the best reception always!

What about just touching one spot on the phone...just touching the antenna and not huggin the whole phone...just like the way you touch the antenna on iPhone 4 and looses all the reception, you know the typical way when you touch a phone when making a phone call. By the way there is something strange on the N95... he left the phone and took so long to recover...something is really fishy there...

Either way I feel that fanboys are just always trying to underate the problems of their precious belongings...or else the end of the world will come!

Not everyone is meant to make a difference.
But for me the choice to live an ordinary life is no longer an option.

If there was no GOD it would be neccessary to invent him.

Old 18-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisX View Post
Yes and that guy is just like he is trying to break the phone...not just hugging it...you know thats the typical way of making a phonecall right? GIVE ME A BREAK...I own a N97 classic and a 5310 XM. I tried it on both phones like crazy and what I got was just some small drops on bars 1-3 bars but never tottaly loosing fully the reception. And thats on a place I dont have the best reception always!

What about just touching one spot on the phone...just touching the antenna and not huggin the whole phone...just like the way you touch the antenna on iPhone 4 and looses all the reception, you know the typical way when you touch a phone when making a phone call. By the way there is something strange on the N95... he left the phone and took so long to recover...something is really fishy there...

Either way I feel that fanboys are just always trying to underate the problems of their precious belongings...or else the end of the world will come!
I'm unable to reproduce the death grip problem on iPhone 4 on the modern European networks (sometimes 1 bar drop) so don't be too proud that your Nokias drop 3 bars in Greece.

Old 18-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm unable to reproduce the death grip problem on iPhone 4 on the modern European networks (sometimes 1 bar drop) so don't be too proud that your Nokias drop 3 bars in Greece.
I can take the iPhone right down to no signal using just a fingertip on the modern European networks.

Old 18-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I can take the iPhone right down to no signal using just a fingertip on the modern European networks.
Dunno how...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKDetBU9PAk (the video is Hungarian, recorded in the UK, O2-UK network)

Old 19-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Dunno how...
Really?

Check out the official Apple press releases then.

Old 19-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Really?

Check out the official Apple press releases then.
It says that a very small percentage of users experience the problem, only if the reception is poor. Here in my country the reception is mostly great almost everywhere (European networks are significantly better than the US ones) and I can't reproduce the problem.

On the poor US networks you can make even a Nokia easily drop the bars (search youtube).
Or HTC... see page 13 in the linked manual:
http://member.america.htc.com/downlo...sh_UM_11_5.pdf

Old 19-07-2010, 09:55 AM

okl1970 is on a distinguished road
Apple fretting over Nokia & Symbian?

It's quite typical Apple marketing - blame everyone else but themselves for what is essentially a design issue. Years ago, they had lousy hardware and could not sell desktops and they blame Intel, Microsoft and etc for their plight.

Now it's Nokia turn. I was wondering if Jobs know something about Nokia that we don't and he IS worried. It's enlightening that he did not take aim at SEricsson, Motorola, RIM or even Android. Nokia's phone have always been strong phones but the UI and Ovi (store and all, except maybe Maps) suck bigtime. Jobs know that iPhone is not so great when it comes to the phone bit.

If only Nokia and iPhone join hands..... (but iTunes have to buck up on the syncing non-game and non-media stuff).

Old 19-07-2010, 01:54 PM

deadkenny is on a distinguished road
RIM's response also...

http://www.bitterwallet.com/blackber...ou-apple/32227

Old 19-07-2010, 06:33 PM

deadkenny is on a distinguished road
Good example here. No death grip required, just touch the metal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhIieJPKcQs

Now show me a Nokia that does this (beyond the old 90s Nokia's with external antennas).

Old 19-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadkenny View Post
Good example here. No death grip required, just touch the metal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhIieJPKcQs

Now show me a Nokia that does this (beyond the old 90s Nokia's with external antennas).
Hmm, read the second comment for the video:

"Hi there,
I did not buy this phone due to these problems! But I have the same isue with Samsung Galaxy S!
Type "Samsung I9000 Galaxy S - signal reception issues - luinHD " into youtube search!
I just tested it and it true ;("
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LROTHrTR92k

OK, it's not Nokia, but it's just a matter of time...

Old 20-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It says that a very small percentage of users experience the problem, only if the reception is poor. Here in my country the reception is mostly great almost everywhere (European networks are significantly better than the US ones) and I can't reproduce the problem.

On the poor US networks you can make even a Nokia easily drop the bars (search youtube).
Or HTC... see page 13 in the linked manual:
http://member.america.htc.com/downlo...sh_UM_11_5.pdf
With one finger touching a small piece of metal, or completely shrouding the device in the fist.

People are still in denial.
Ads