All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 AM

shiv179 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Free navigation forever... constant rebooting forever haha!

Free navigation forever... constant rebooting forever haha!
Ovi Maps is rubbish.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Unregistered

I Live in the border between France and Switzerland. Some cities of Switzerland shows in Maps as France cities.
Ads

Old 12-07-2010, 12:15 PM

smcmanus is on a distinguished road
I have a E71 and Joiku

I have a E71 and Joiku, and have been a happy customer of Joiku until recently. I';m not sure if they have had a management change or something, but starting at Version 2.6 you are unable to change your SSID. It has to have "Joikuspot__" on the front of it. ther is no functional difference.

Apparently it is more unstable, I haven't upgraded my OVI to 3.4 yet (mostly lazy). Maybe I will dooo that today and test its compatibility with earlier Joiku.

Steve

Old 12-07-2010, 02:36 PM
ThiemoB

N97

I've had that issue since end 2009 on my N97, all Firmwares, all Updates on Maps. Only thing to fix this, is disabling cell id positioning from options menu.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:02 PM

spaceprobe is on a distinguished road
I have just driven from Cornwall to Brighton using my 5800 with the latest maps. The phone rebooted twice, shut down completely once and lost its blue tooth connection once and no I don't have JP installed. PS Whilst for about 95% of the time its good it does take you on some odd routings. Starting to wonder if I should bite the bullet and get a new sat nav for the car

Old 13-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Unregistered

17MB space requirement?

My 5800 had 37mb of free space before i upgraded to the new ovimaps. After the upgrade, I have 20mb left! Nokia installed C lib and lots of other stuff which I promptly deleted. Loading bloatware like Micro$haft.....! Don't upgrade!!

Old 13-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Unregistered

E52:

On my E52 I have to disable the 'Wi-fi positioning' method, otherwise it won't find my position at all.
Updating needs de-installing first (and rebooting, of course), even then I get a system error during installation. But it works fine for me in Germany and on holiday in Sweden.

BUT: if I take out the battery (SIM-Card-Change on holiday), I can't start Ovi Maps. Nothing happens. Re-installing helps (yes: de-installing, rebooting etc. first), but you have to be sure, you have the installation-files with you!

And I agree: the web-version of ovi-maps is annoying.

Old 15-07-2010, 10:02 PM
smokin

worked on my 5800

cant take credit for this but none of the other 'solutions' worked for me but this one did:

1 = uninstall completely nokia maps and ovi maps from phone (i seemed to have both entries)
2 = using file manager, navigate to E:\ and delete CITIES folder (this is the bad boy i suspect - i also rebooted here to be sure)
3 = install ovi maps via 'sw update' in settings

mine works great now - not tried reinstating wifi positioning yet but others have said its ok - good luck hope it works for everyone

Chris