All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 10-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Look again at the 52xx Series, and think how cool the future is

Did you notice the launch of the 5228 yesterday? Hopefully you did, but did you pay it much attention? I suspect that in the rush to cover more exotic devices announced in San Francisco, that the geek circles will have skipped over what could easily be labelled as “yet another 5800 variant”. I just want everyone to stop and think for a moment.

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Unregistered

Confusing

Sorry, I read your article twice and it's not clear at all what your point is.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Unregistered

Apologetic article is so apologetic. And sorry, it is badly written.

On a side note, the upcoming N8 is not a device intended for high-end market segment, none of the Symbian devices is. This is stated by Nokia themselves, symbian is for middle price-point devices.
High-end section is supposed to be covered by as of yet non-existent MeeGo phone.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Dr Tran is on a distinguished road
High end or not, the N8 is the only phone I have my eyes on.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Unregistered

I'm looking forward to the N8 very much also. Had my N900 nicked last week, but i won't replace it with another one. using a 5800 at the mo. Forgot how good it was for audio and Video!

Old 10-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Unregistered

I think the point is that the fat part of the market is where ther mid to low devices are, the average normal person with a social life is not impressed by bleeding edge best of everything "please will somebody like me because I have this phone" saddo high end devices.

In other words, most people are not geeks interested in bigger, better numbers on their phone specs. Paying top money for a phone is a bit.... well.... sad.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 PM

mwarner is on a distinguished road
You are correct - I didn't take much notice of the Nokia 5228, and I doubt many of the people who frequent this site did either. I would imagine most people interested enough in mobile phones to visit a site dedicated to them are in the market for mid to high end devices.

As individuals we don't really care about the phones that are not in our price bracket, and I would imagine that a fairly high percentage are not Symbian or Nokia fans per-se, it is just that this is the OS or manufacturer of the phone we currently own. Personally when the time comes to replace my handset I look at all the available phones on all OSes and chose the one that suits me the best, whether it be Symbian, Android, iPhone or whatever.

My point is that while it may be interesting to the AAS staff, who have a particular interest in Symbian across the board, most visitors will not care two hoots for the low end devices and articles such as these will not easily change our minds!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarner View Post
You are correct - I didn't take much notice of the Nokia 5228, and I doubt many of the people who frequent this site did either. I would imagine most people interested enough in mobile phones to visit a site dedicated to them are in the market for mid to high end devices.

My point is that while it may be interesting to the AAS staff, who have a particular interest in Symbian across the board, most visitors will not care two hoots for the low end devices and articles such as these will not easily change our minds!
The audience for this site is probably more diverse that most people realise. There's a significant industry (and some consumers) who want a broad over view, which is why we cover this stuff. Evidently we spend more time on the higher end devices - and there's good reasons for that - as you suggest.

The broad nature of the audience is one of the things we need to address going forwards in terms if giving people quicker access to the information they are most interested in too.

Oh and if we talk about commenters - they're a sub-sub group! And they can probably be segmented too (hello al the Mr. Unregistereds).

To give an example... The 5228 story was popular yesterday and earlier 5230 coverage surprised me - getting more traffic and attention than I ever expected (just shows what I know ).

And sometimes its the stories you least expect end up getting more attention / comments / engagement etc etc.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile High/Low End

True story about low end devices . These kind of phones were high end not so very long ago . About High End phones there is a less apologetic comparison here ( you also can leave your comments !)
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/i...hd2/2#comments

(Edit : BTW the article is on top of the comments)

Regards jApi NL

Last edited by jApi NL; 10-06-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
To give an example... The 5228 story was popular yesterday and earlier 5230 coverage surprised me - getting more traffic and attention than I ever expected (just shows what I know ).

And sometimes its the stories you least expect end up getting more attention / comments / engagement etc etc.
I virtually ignored the 5228, as it seemed like a stupid amount of penny pinching over the 5230 - barely any real world price difference, but without 3G or GPS.

To a certain extent I could understand the lack of GPS, but sans 3G it'll be useless for Ovi services - just basic text, calling and some basic browsing. You'd need a lot of patience to download an app/game that could be a couple of meg in size.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 PM

Chase33 is on a distinguished road
One (among many) things I like about Nokia is that they give great thought and detail to the design of their devices and they provide a wide range of phones to meet the needs of many. Lets face it, these are no longer just phones to make voice communications. These devices have in fact become our mobile computers capable of performing amazing task while on the go. So at the end of the day it matters only to you what your device can do for you be it simple voice and text communications or more complex tasks. Nokia surely has its shortcomings with some of their devices but what manufacturer doesn't? I have only been a Nokia owner (N95 and now 5800) for about two years and while I have had many other smartphones over the years I am quite please with what I have. Just my two cents.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
On a side note, the upcoming N8 is not a device intended for high-end market segment, none of the Symbian devices is. This is stated by Nokia themselves, symbian is for middle price-point devices.
High-end section is supposed to be covered by as of yet non-existent MeeGo phone.
This is simply not true, either in terms of what Nokia have stated, or by an obvious comparison of devices. Nokia stated that MeeGo is for 'portable computers' or whatever their term of the day is. Symbian most definitely covers all the way up to the top end of smartphones.

Also if you compare hardware specs and software services available on the N8, aside from the number of apps in Ovi Store (a minor quibble for this comparison) in many respects it surpasses (apart from screen res, but N8 has HDMI + Dolby Surround out) the highest of the high end iPhones and Androids. It is simply better than them across the board (something iPhone and Android lovers can't accept, but is still true).

The fact is N8 can beat the best iPhone and Androids even with it's lower CPU speed and much cheaper price. That really is how good Nokia and Symbian devices are, and something people have to get their heads around.
Ads

Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Apologetic article is so apologetic. And sorry, it is badly written.

But it can very well hold it's own against the very best that the others can offer now can't it? Spec wise it's probably better than everything else right now. Don't tell me that hardware specs are not important now, that it's all about software, coz with the N97, every critique cared about hardware specs. Now however it's just 'all about the software. I'm amazed how some people continually underestimate the N8, Nokia, and Symbian in general. Just look at the engadget comparison. They must have failed their maths or something. Anyway if this is Nokia's mid-price device, then just imagine what their high-end would be like. Considering that, I'd be more mindful about putting my foot further in my mouth if I were them.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:57 AM

Nörde is on a distinguished road
For me devices like 5228 aren't primarily phones, they are media "players" that just happen to have phone functionality.

If someone is buying an mp3 player, I'm pretty sure 5228 or similar would work just as good as recent creative MP3 player for example. The only downside would be the size, but then you get phone, applications, web browsing etc.

Also people who have previously bought high end feature phones can be lured to smartphone side by giving them more with the same price.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:12 AM

Neero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nörde View Post
For me devices like 5228 aren't primarily phones, they are media "players" that just happen to have phone functionality.

If someone is buying an mp3 player, I'm pretty sure 5228 or similar would work just as good as recent creative MP3 player for example. The only downside would be the size, but then you get phone, applications, web browsing etc.

Also people who have previously bought high end feature phones can be lured to smartphone side by giving them more with the same price.
So true, (in my case at least) I need a replacement for my aging ipod and got a Nokia 5230. It's a good music-player as far as sound quality is concerned. Now it is slowly becoming my primary phone . I did not get the ipod touch since I wanted the capability to bluetooth/beam my files with friends.