All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 07-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
A compelling reason to stick to a dark theme on your Nokia N85 or N86

It's not everyday that you learn something - I've known for a while that a) OLED displays are supposed to be more power efficient than TFT and that b) the brighter the colours, the more power is actually consumed. But I hadn't realised the scale of the problem until now, with hard evidence from a semi-official Nokia source. Read on for links and quotes. Summary? On a OLED-screened smartphone, a pure white theme uses 14x as much power as a pure black one!

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Dups! is on a distinguished road
I've actually known most of the info for a while now. I use a dark colour on my phone as it is.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Unregistered

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu..._Nokia_N82.php
(Screen Brightness section and below)

Now what, Steve?

Old 07-06-2010, 03:24 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
On the OLED screen, I can understand why having a darker screen (primarily black) would reduce power usage - the screen only lights up those pixels in use.

However I'm at a loss to explain the effect on the traditional LCD. The backlight is on permanently, and the LCD just filters/allows through differing amounts of light at each pixel - one of the reasons why LCD TVs don't tend to be capable of doing totally black blacks - they're normally just a very dark grey.

Interesting though!

Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM

rafiii is on a distinguished road
One point is missing from the article: If your phone is white it looks much better with a white theme
As always it is a story of compromise: beauty VS battery life :P

Old 07-06-2010, 03:31 PM
bp101

Would have been interesting to see the power usage of actual home screens, since presumably nobody has a theme with white text on a white background (or black on black). The difference would obviously be smaller in the real world, but would be interesting to see how much.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:31 PM

rcadden is on a distinguished road
You know, I always noticed that I had worse battery life on my OLED screens than I did with regular LCD (N85, N86, etc), but just figured it was something stupid I was doing, cause *everyone* knows that OLED is more power efficient than LCD. Thanks for pointing out some great research, Steve! I don't recall what theme I used on either of those phones, but I typically prefer the lighter theme, so that's likely a huge factor.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:02 PM
iFanboy

Hmm, maybe this is one of the reasons why the original iPhone theme is black? Good insight Steve

Old 07-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
On the OLED screen, I can understand why having a darker screen (primarily black) would reduce power usage - the screen only lights up those pixels in use.

However I'm at a loss to explain the effect on the traditional LCD. The backlight is on permanently, and the LCD just filters/allows through differing amounts of light at each pixel - one of the reasons why LCD TVs don't tend to be capable of doing totally black blacks - they're normally just a very dark grey.

Interesting though!
Possibly the crystals in LCD are opaque (black) in their default state, and it requires power to turn them to allow colours through.

As for the OLED "discovery" NO SHIT SHERLOCK. Has nobody else ever played with the power monitor app and noticed this already? And not been particularly surprised. It's already a well known situation in the backlit LCD vs plasma tv power consumption world too.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Unregistered

My N86 has earth by PiZero as its theme which has lots of black. It also looks good!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As for the OLED "discovery" NO SHIT SHERLOCK. Has nobody else ever played with the power monitor app and noticed this already? And not been particularly surprised. It's already a well known situation in the backlit LCD vs plasma tv power consumption world too.
Jesus, who rattled your cage?

As someone who does not have a phone with an OLED screen it's an interesting article, as a factor of 14 difference in power consumption IS interesting to hear about, even if you clearly don't think so.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
Jesus, who rattled your cage?

You guessed my name! Well done!

Now, if you didn't know before that an object generating a lot of light uses more energy than the same object generating none, then clearly you need to know.

Perhaps you could try leaving your all your house lights and electrical appliances on for one billing period and compare the cost to a period when they have all be been left off. You'll be amazed to find that they are more expensive when they are on!!

Imagine that !

Old 07-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafiii View Post
One point is missing from the article: If your phone is white it looks much better with a white theme
As always it is a story of compromise: beauty VS battery life :P
Do you spend a lot of time admiring the beauty of your phone? I always thought of my phone as a useful item, not a girlfriend.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:51 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Construction differences

@ clonmult . The older LCD's are using CCFL type of lights . Normally with a constant light beam . With LED , backlight and edge , it is possible to dim the light on dark sides of the page . However not all LED screens are provided with this tech . The advantage is clear : darker spots , where the actual color is black or dark colored . This could explain also some energy saving . The scheme in Steve's article just shows two different screens . This is limiting drawing a general conclusions about screens , but for sure interesting .

Regards jApi NL
Ads

Old 07-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You guessed my name! Well done!

Now, if you didn't know before that an object generating a lot of light uses more energy than the same object generating none, then clearly you need to know.

Perhaps you could try leaving your all your house lights and electrical appliances on for one billing period and compare the cost to a period when they have all be been left off. You'll be amazed to find that they are more expensive when they are on!!

Imagine that !
I presume that you're unaware of the expression "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" (or is irony lost on you as well?).

Anyone who feels the need to interject "NO SHIT SHERLOCK" in a thread such as this is essentially a pedantic dickhead.