All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 06-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The right tool for the right job? N97 classic vs N97 mini

A few weeks ago, David Gilson wrote up his thoughts on the N97 classic. While there was an awful lot to like about it, he found it to be undermined by an unstable OS, due to insufficient RAM & C: drive space. He was also curious to see if the N97 mini was really everything the N97 classic could have been, so he borrowed one and got to grips with it. What follows is a discussion of the differences between these two phones, and how each one lends itself to different usage scenarios. Hopefully this will help the with the venerable question "which should I buy?"

Read on in the full article.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:23 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Agree about the battery life on the mini, could be better.

Not fussed about the missing Facebook 'app' as i find m.facebook.com or touch.facebook.com better than most 'apps' or widgets.

No Iplayer? Wait....what? Don't have it in front of me (mini is the Wifes phone, she's at work), but pretty sure i've downloaded and played back at least one episode of the Albert Square going's on to show her it can be done.

I do agree that the screen on the mini seems to be just that, mini. But thats probably just me as my own two phones are the i8910 and (until recently :-( ) the HD2.

Good write up. Thanks for that.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 AM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Yep BBC iPlayer came on my N97 mini too (sim free UK variant), works fine for both streaming and downloads.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 06-05-2010, 09:43 AM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Regarding iPlayer on the mini:
  • It wasn't present on the mini that came to my house
  • It wasn't available via the Ovi store
  • It isn't on the BBC's list of officially supported devices

So for the rest of you, did it come pre-installed? Can you see it listed on the Ovi Store while using your mini? I'd like to work out what's going on here.

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2010, 09:54 AM

Frobisher is on a distinguished road
Got iPlayer but don't remember if it came on the phone, may have downloaded it but the point is it works perfectly on the N97 Mini. Also have the Facebook app which I'm pretty sure came pre-loaded.

Yes, the screen isn't as good outside as transflective but to be honest all screens are quite hard to read in bright light and I use it a lot more indoors so I'll live with it.

I find the size of the N97 Mini quite large in my jeans pocket, so I'm glad it's not as large as the N97, although a bigger screen might be nice! Talking of the screen, I think the N97 Mini's screen is great for looking at photos, it has such a high density of pixels they look great.

The point about using the N97 open on a desk: I hardly ever feel the need to use it like that, I'm always holding it as you have to press quite hard on the keys and it's just not really a desktop device; so I don't find the instability of the N97 Mini vs the N97 an issue.

The metal back on the N97 Mini is really nice, it adds a quality feel, not held the N97 so can't compare.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:02 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
Re. the battery-life comment

I would be surprised to hear of any smartphone (or even a dedicated SatNav for that matter) lasting very long between charges when used for prolonged periods in a car without being plugged into a charger. My standalone Mio would certainly not last much longer than 80 minutes without needing charging....

Old 06-05-2010, 10:27 AM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
neither! One should wait for N8

Old 06-05-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miki69 View Post
neither! One should wait for N8
True, but you won't get a physical keyboard!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:30 AM

delanz is on a distinguished road
I have updated my N97 classic to version 21.0.102 using FOTA on 4th April 2010, and it has Ovi Maps 3.03 in firmware. After the update, the free space on c: increase from 25 m.b. (with Ovi maps 3.03 installed in c: ) to 36 m.b without the need to hard reset the thing. It seems the update wiped out the Maps application itself on c: and replace it with the ROM version.

Last edited by delanz; 06-05-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Ads

Old 06-05-2010, 10:37 AM

darkjeric is on a distinguished road
I'd like to add another pro for the N97 for a very specific use case: emulated games!

I use the Vampent emulators (vNes, vSun, vBoy and vBagX) and the fact that there's a D-pad on the correct side (same as hand-held consoles) makes a huge difference! I tried playing on the N97 Mini with mirrored controls (the arrows on the other side), but that just seems weird. And no, you do not get used to it after a few weeks when you also play on PC and Xbox360, where the D-pads are also on the left side

I have somewhat around 20Mb of free space on my C: with everything on it that I need (QuickOffice update, Maps 3.03, Java Runtime 2.1 Beta) and all the rest installed on E: or my SD-card. I am still waiting for the firmware update, why do some people already have it a month earlier? I have the plain RM-505 model that isn't tied to an operator... I WANT MY UPDATE

Old 06-05-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delanz View Post
I have updated my N97 classic to version 21.0.102 using FOTA on 4th April 2010, and it has Ovi Maps 3.03 in firmware. After the update, the free space on c: increase from 25 m.b. (with Ovi maps 3.03 installed in c: ) to 36 m.b without the need to hard reset the thing. It seems the update wiped out the Maps application itself on c: and replace it with the ROM version.
I've continually checked the N97 classic I was sent for review, and even today I still couldn't get the '102 update over the air. :-(

Old 06-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Ian 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjeric View Post
I'd like to add another pro for the N97 for a very specific use case: emulated games!D
I was using ZX Spectrum Speccy emulator (http://fms.komkon.org/EmuSymbian/) on my N82, but unfortunately Speccy programmer did not port his emulators to S60 Touch... Probably never will :(

But the again, even Nokia still did not port Internet Radio or Nokia Wireless Keyboard drivers...

Old 06-05-2010, 10:46 AM

delanz is on a distinguished road
David, I did change my N97 product code using Nemesis System Suit to the APAC Malaysia Black code. My original product code (Malaysia CV Black) still stuck at version 12. Happy with the decision :-). No more White Nokia screen of death.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:47 AM

Interested to hear when and where these N97 mini's with iPlayer were bought. Are you sure you were downloading, and not just streaming iPlayer programmes? (There is an unofficial web runtime widget, that has allowed me to stream iPlayer even on my E55, but you can't download content).

I've just checked, again, and it's definitely not 'official' for the N97 mini. Here's the BBC list of supported devices - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/where_to_get_iplayer/.

Also, I just checked the Ovi Store on the N97 mini I reviewed, and it's still not there.

Last edited by davidgilson; 06-05-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:50 AM

Frobisher is on a distinguished road
I think I must have downloaded it by going to the iPlayer site from my phone. The version I'm running is like the one in the AAS article