All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 PM

jamessmith01 is on a distinguished road
N97 GPS issues - can't keep up

I had my GPS/camera part replaced as previously I couldn't get a lock-on for after less than a few minutes, and not at all without A-GPS enabled. Now I can get a lock-on just fine, however when using Ovi Maps navigation in the car, I find it always has my location just behind where it should be. This means I get the instruction to turn *after* I reach the turn, which is obviously quite annoying. It's fine when I'm stationary, but it seems for some reason it can't keep up when I'm moving fast. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:57 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessmith01 View Post
I had my GPS/camera part replaced as previously I couldn't get a lock-on for after less than a few minutes, and not at all without A-GPS enabled. Now I can get a lock-on just fine, however when using Ovi Maps navigation in the car, I find it always has my location just behind where it should be. This means I get the instruction to turn *after* I reach the turn, which is obviously quite annoying. It's fine when I'm stationary, but it seems for some reason it can't keep up when I'm moving fast. Has anyone else had this problem?
Can I make a few assumptions? Correct me if anything differs from the points below:-

1. You have the N97 mounted in a phone holder close to the windscreen, with clear line of sight to the sky
2. You have downloaded all the maps for your country using Nokia MapLoader
3. You have configured the default (internet) access point to be used with MAPS.

Note that most NCC engineers will re-flash the N97 using the latest firmware after ANY warranty repair, and this process also includes formatting the internal memory (possibly mass memory also). For this reason, you may not have the full maps for your require in the device, even if you had them previously.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
My guess would be item 2 on your posting dez.

I would suggest following the steps in this posting jamessmith01.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=90325

dez is correct when he says that you may have lost any previously downloaded Maps Data after your repair.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:40 PM

nouniques is on a distinguished road
I had similar problem. In my case problem was with the Skyhook's Map Booster app. If you have it installed, try to disable it in Locations. Also since Ovi Maps 3.04, Nokia added there own WiFi location network.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:03 PM

I don't have the Skyhook app. Will try out the other suggestions for next time I'm in a car (don't own one), thanks!

Old 17-05-2010, 06:03 PM

wolverine2031 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down N97 GPS faults....

ok here is update after going back to Car Phone Warehouse today with my N97- this will be the short version.... (17/10/2010)

It appears I could have made a mistake this is the third time I have been back
with the phone and not the 4th according to both Dave (CPW salesmen)
and also Ben( stand in branch manager). Ok here goes...

I went back in today to PArkgate, Rotherham-CarPhone Warehouse, armed with printouts from this forum, nokia europe forum,
consumer advice web site, all about symbian and also Which web site..... also copies of emails from the NCC repair time...

I advised both the sales rep and the manager that all conversations were going to be recorded, which I did ;-)

I spoke to Dave (CPW-sales rep) who advised me that the car phone warehouse did not have to repair the N97, it was a good will gesture that
they repaired the phones on behalf of nokia, and if also since it had only been repaired twice before it would have to go away to be repaired again.

I advised the CPW rep that CPW policy was breaking trading standards and asked him if he wanted to see the documents,
I advised that current trading standards stated that if the phone was not fit for purpose (eg-due to faulty GPS for 3rd time, freezing, slider lock fault,and constantly dropping calls)
and had gone away for repair once and returned faulty then I was within my right to ask for a replacement or alternative.

I also advised that the standards also stated that the problem lied with CPW (the trader) and not the manufacturer), and not at Nokia, whom they tried to refer me to :(

He declined seeing the standards stating that CPW were acting legally and that it had to be repaired 3 times by NCC, and after the third time if it was
still faulty then CPW head office and NCC repair time would make a decision whether I could have the phone replace for alternative or not, or whether I would get a lower model.

At that point I agreed I wasn't sure whether it ahd been back 3 or 4 times, since I had a faulty N95 anf that had been back a few times as well.
As such I asked to speak to the manager, also advising that I was still recording all conversations.

The CPW manager came out and basically reinforced what the rep had stated-
CPW policy would not be breaking law and they would only normally refer me to NCC for repair. I advised I was being diadvantaged on
petrol, time and inconvenience each time I had to take my phone for repair, and left with out a phone for approx 2 weeks each time.

I once again stated I had been in contact with nokia forum and nokia europe regarding my legal stance and also consumer advice, and requested a alternative
phone since I HAD LOST FAITH IN nokia as a brand. I also informed the manager that my previous phone had been swapped for another earlier N97
and the Ieme numbers ahd changed when it had been returned to me.

The branch manager just asked me to await contact from the repair centre or contact customer services
on tel- 0870 0870 167-- I asked if this was local call rate or free phone and he was unsure.

After ringing a 0870 number previously and being charged nearly 8- I advised that I required a email or contact address and he advised me to call for further
details, also stating that even if I contacted customer service or head office they would more than likely refer me to the repair time.

I advised that this was not good service, and why should I the consumer have to pay to contact them, even more so when I am now out of work and on benefits,
last thing I need is telephone costs on top of further petrol costs to sort a problem out created by nokia.

In the end I came out with a loan phone free (motorolo W180), which is a basic phone I dont know how to use-without bluetooth or GPS, also being advised that if I wanted a
blue tooth phone I would have to pay for it....

Therefore I advised them that car phone warehouse was not really meeting current trading standards and making things difficult for nokia N97 users, when all
faults on my phone were recognised by nokia. I then passed my regards and advised I would be recording the outcome with the forums and also trading standards.

So now I am without my N97 for a possible 2-3 weeks yet again while it goes off for repair by NCC.

What are your thoughts.

Lj

Old 18-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
I don't know how far away you are from a NCC yourself but I thought there was one in most towns, they fix the GPS for free under the warranty and mine took less then 4 hours after I dropped it off.

Old 18-05-2010, 10:57 AM

@wolverine2031: Might be better off posting a new thread specifically for your question.
Ads

Old 20-05-2010, 10:52 AM

Gavin Watson is on a distinguished road
I have the same issue, have reinstalled the Maps, no difference... Very bad.