All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 21-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Steve on Nokia Conversations: What makes a good cameraphone?

It is Steve's turn for a guest editorial slot on Nokia Conversations. In 'What makes a good cameraphone?' he considers what's needed to take great photos in all conditions. The editorial is part of the blog's Design by Community season, which aims to create a concept product via community input. This weeks focus is on the specifications of the camera and related components.

Read on in the full article.

Old 21-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Unregistered

This makes a good cameraphone ;-) -

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/n...andset-leaked/

Old 22-04-2010, 08:05 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Good read - makes one wonder

Old 22-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Unregistered

Reading that article, you would believe that the only pictures that matter are the ones taken in a darkened room. The phone camera is a compromise and only ever has a place where you might encounter something worth recording that comes up unexpectedly.

For those situations where you know are going to want to take photos, I have this radical solution, I use a normal camera. Amazing results can be achieved. Try it.

Old 22-04-2010, 10:14 AM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The top camera phone of tomorrow, then, will need to be friendly to all parts of your life and not just that lived out in favourable light conditions. It will have a large, high quality 8 megapixel sensor (12mp forces individual sensor pixels to be too small)
Does it mean N8 will have 8MP camera after all? Kind of improved N86. If so, this confirms Nokia stand on not getting into MP race.

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited by miki69; 22-04-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Old 22-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
You know, if 'Unregistered' comments were taken away from AAS, the quality of conversation would go up significantly.

Steve (after ploughing through five consecutive threads with unregistered rubbish.... 8-( )

Old 22-04-2010, 01:29 PM
UnInterested

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
You know, if 'Unregistered' comments were taken away from AAS, the quality of conversation would go up significantly.

Steve (after ploughing through five consecutive threads with unregistered rubbish.... 8-( )
The hit score for the site would drop like N97 sales.

But on the bright side, Steve would be able to spend happy hours having converations with himself.

Old 22-04-2010, 01:39 PM
UnInterested

Actually, looking back at this thread there is nothing by unregististed posters that is an invalid comment.

Old 22-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Unregistered

Jus camera quality considered

U speak highly about the Nokia n86..which is a great camera phone no doubt. Not only does it take very good pics, but the videos are crips and the sound it can record is amaizing for a phone.
If only photos were considered, I think the SE Satio could be the solution...that xenon flash makes a difference here. I'm not discussing 8mp vs 12mp...in the end this is not important..it's the quality of the images, the brightness, the color saturation. I admit the build quality, the UI is sluggish, sometimes redundant...visibly cropped and choped, but that aside...when it's all about the camera quality, which wins? I watched a lot of your shows and I haven't seen a review of the Satio, maybe I missed it

Old 22-04-2010, 04:43 PM

richardyates is on a distinguished road
why not ban unregistered comments then? - I agree with you the tone would improve, but I have no power over that, maybe you do

I read your article with interest but to be honest I don't agree with it - firstly my Satio works superbly as a camera and far exceeds anything I have ever had from my N86. Maybe my N86 is faulty or something but it consistently produces grainy pictures in anything but the best light and very often blurry ones in light which I would expect to be good enough. The pictures often look not bad at all on the phone, and then dire on my mac. My i8510 and Satio produce much better pictures in almost all light and the i8910 is usually better too. My C905 non smartphone is also an excellent camera. If I could find a sony camera withe the same form factor as that, I'd get it tomorrow. I really can't fathom out what SE are doing with the Vivaz and the X10 - I would certainly have bought an X10 if it had a xenon flash
Ads

Old 23-04-2010, 10:55 AM

comnut is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post

well how about giving them an awful name, like 'I-am-stupid 001' (numbered for differentiation, too!) to shame them into registering???

or even just using the first 3 words as a username??

But it seems no-one want to bother about the camera... and seem to forget that ANY cheap stuff can produce a good pic, given plenty of light... Dig out your good camera, and take some pics in a dark room(I mean one that you can still see your way around!!), without flash...

My canon powershot can see the colors of my furniture, while my eyes cannot.. and my 5800 is just a dark, noisy mess...

Last edited by comnut; 23-04-2010 at 11:08 AM.