All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 15-04-2010, 01:54 PM

rafiii is on a distinguished road
If you have installed Maps already you won't need to uninstall it, you even gain some megabytes ( I jumped from 36 to 45).

For the fun I did a hard reset and reinstalled all my application and saves. I have now 58 MB of free space on C:

Ok so what about the new firmware?
Yes ovi maps 3.3 is here, the phone is (according to me) faster. Transitions from landscape to portrait are faster, the menu/application seems to be loaded faster (I just went to tools-> parameters and noticed the difference).
At last Nokia Messaging shows the last message on the home screen and I have no problem with French special characters like or like I had in previous firmwares.

And finaly, probably the best thing, THE D-PAD CAN NOW BE USED TO GO FORWARD AND BACKWARD IN REALPLAYER!!! WOUHOU!!!
This functionality had disappeared in the firmware v20 and v21 but now it is back!

I would say good job Nokia What am I going to do with all that free space on C: ? Maybe I will install QuickOffice 6

Last edited by rafiii; 15-04-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Old 15-04-2010, 02:52 PM
_fakefur

wish i could get my N86 to update ... every time it still tells me that my phone is disconnected and to check my USBport etc etc ... OTA only tells me to update via PC ... i've tried OVI and NSU and both fail every time *sigh*

Old 15-04-2010, 03:05 PM
snak

i found some changelog

i found some changelog here

http://www.symbian-nuts.com/news/nok...ate-v-30009-46

Old 15-04-2010, 03:12 PM

widehead is on a distinguished road
Updated here in Manila straight away. I think it's simply outrageous that some of the forum members are denied the updates due to their service providers. Ah well. Here's hoping that the phone wont be ignored in the future. It would be criminal of Nokia to sideline what is clearly their best available phone.

Old 15-04-2010, 03:36 PM
_fakefur

*sigh* ... same old same old with trying to update ... OTA sees it and tells me to use NSU ... NSU tells me 11.043 is the latest

unlocked SIM free phone here bought retail

this and email are why i hate this phone ... the rest is great but since email is almost #1 for me i just get exceedingly frustrated

oh well my htc desire rocks at least

Old 15-04-2010, 03:41 PM

RS77 is on a distinguished road
Complete changelog V30.009
------------------------------------------
- S60inside - S60 News, Infos, Tests -

Old 15-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

N86 v30

Confirmed - N86 has been improved performance wise with v30, quicker, no lagging, and more RAM and Phone Memory optimization.

Free RAM 56.3, and Free Phone Memory 48.9 - UDP restored all previous installs & setting ok!

Old 15-04-2010, 05:01 PM

ansgp is on a distinguished road
some latest observations: after update

some latest observations:
1. camera application startup time (after opening of lens cover, theme effects off)- before update: 4-5sec and now almost instant :~1sec
2. shot to shot time is same after update
3. dpad problem is still there: video can't be forwarded or reversed using dpad in landscape mode. No such problem in portrait mode.
4. camera bug (camera application dosen't close after shutter close, jbacktask manager shows it) still there.
5. ovi maps 3.3 now integrated in firmware, so no loss in phone memory to get maps 3.3
6. autorotation bug (half screen freeze during rotation, when theme effects is on) still there.
7. no "free ram" increase after update
8. free phone memory after update: 51.6MB, with about 50 applications installed (ngage uninstalled).

Last edited by ansgp; 15-04-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Old 15-04-2010, 06:27 PM

Yes the dpad works perfectly well in landscape mode now. I just tried it.

Old 15-04-2010, 07:10 PM

ansgp is on a distinguished road
yes dpad works properly via real player in both landscape and portrait view but when we are playing videos from menu->photos->camera/all, then in landscape mode it dosent work.

9. theme effects are very fast now. Dosent slow up the phone
10. overall device is very fast and responsive now

Last edited by ansgp; 15-04-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Old 15-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by _fakefur View Post
*sigh* ... same old same old with trying to update ... OTA sees it and tells me to use NSU ... NSU tells me 11.043 is the latest

unlocked SIM free phone here bought retail

this and email are why i hate this phone ... the rest is great but since email is almost #1 for me i just get exceedingly frustrated

oh well my htc desire rocks at least
Why, if email is almost #1 for you, have you not installed an app for it like Profimail?

Why have you not changed the product code to allow it to update firmware?

Old 15-04-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansgp View Post
yes dpad works properly via real player in both landscape and portrait view but when we are playing videos from menu->photos->camera/all, then in landscape mode it dosent work.
Well, that normal since you are in the gallery, if you press left or right you will go to an other photo or video. I agree it could have been done by pressing left or right for several seconds, but there are maybe more important functions in this application and you have the multimedia keys. Not really a bug for me, more a difference of appreciation in the use case of the gallery.

Old 15-04-2010, 08:25 PM

iansearle is on a distinguished road
Still stuck at 20.115

Bought my Nokia N86 at the Nokia Store at Heathrow. Still cannot get the minor upgrade from January and now a major hike to v30 and still I am told "your device software is already up to date".

The product code is 0586171. I am so fed up that I plan to change the product code (and invalidate my warranty). Any idea what I should change it to so that I can get the v30 firmware?

Old 15-04-2010, 09:55 PM

DamianDinning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansgp View Post
some latest observations:
1. camera application startup time (after opening of lens cover, theme effects off)- before update: 4-5sec and now almost instant :~1sec
2. shot to shot time is same after update
3. dpad problem is still there: video can't be forwarded or reversed using dpad in landscape mode. No such problem in portrait mode.
4. camera bug (camera application dosen't close after shutter close, jbacktask manager shows it) still there.
5. ovi maps 3.3 now integrated in firmware, so no loss in phone memory to get maps 3.3
6. autorotation bug (half screen freeze during rotation, when theme effects is on) still there.
7. no "free ram" increase after update
8. free phone memory after update: 51.6MB, with about 50 applications installed (ngage uninstalled).

You shouldn't need to but I have seen issues after updates resolved with a factory reset. Have you tried that already?

RE point 4. We have not been able to replicate this and therefore hard to fix. I tried myself repeatedly and couldn't get my device to do it either. Any information you can provide which may help us replicate this would be great. If you do perform a factory reset it would be good to know if you can replicate this issue before reinstalling your content and apps etc. That way we maybe able to isolate it to a particualr app for example.

atb

D
Ads

Old 15-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansearle View Post
Bought my Nokia N86 at the Nokia Store at Heathrow. Still cannot get the minor upgrade from January and now a major hike to v30 and still I am told "your device software is already up to date".

The product code is 0586171. I am so fed up that I plan to change the product code (and invalidate my warranty). Any idea what I should change it to so that I can get the v30 firmware?
Product code Euro 1 will do the trick for the N86. Just google it