All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
101 smartphones and I can't recommend any of them. Even the ones I use myself!

Tim Salmon and I (in Phones Show Chat) often remark that if the perfect smartphone came along then we'd have nothing to debate and nothing to write about - but the current situation in terms of what I've tried and rejected is starting to get ridiculous. Am I too fussy in wanting something that's remotely close to perfect? Having seen, tried and rejected 101 smartphones, what the heck do I recommend to others?

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Duncan J Murray is on a distinguished road
Very true Steve... I find it hard to recommend anything - it's so easy to get wrong. You can play it safe and go with the market leader (i.e. the iphone), but then that kind of suggests you don't really believe in what you say. On the other hand if you recommend something which you personally appreciate, the other person may discover a whole world of pain flashing/twiddling/fixing it to get it work!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:53 PM
_fakefur

hehe it's so true no? i sometimes try to write a list of things my perfect phone would (and would not) do but i always get stuck on the details which makes me wonder if it is even possible to design and build the "perfect" phone

i am loving my htc desire but i *really* appreciate the camera on my N86 after using the htc desie camera for a day or two

maybe having more than one device is the only way to go, where between the 2 (or more) of them you have all vital bases covered

Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Unregistered

iPhone is NOT the market leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan J Murray View Post
.... go with the market leader (i.e. the iphone).....
iPhone is NOT a market leader.
and iPhone is NOT a phone for every lad and gal out there.

if you live in a country that data is quite expensive or you don't want to waste your battery life with constant on GPRS, then you know that iPhone would not sell.

And also, each phone user is unique. Some want touch phone but no qwerty (not a bulky phone), others wouldn't mind if the phone 3mm thicker as long as it have QWERTY. And the 1 phone will concur all of the iPhone definitely means that's phone really not for all of us (not me).

Anyway.
Good article steve.
I also find myself in this situation.
I wanna upgrade my old E61i, and the only choice I would be worthy is the cheaper 5800 or the more expensive N97mini. and I finally choose to wait for a couple of more months for those C6/E7/N8 to come out.
Nokia really entering the dark age of their device.
Amazingly, Nokia entering the darkness and still the king.
If they really do it right, I think all the fruits company will be history before anyone heard it.

PS.
Kudos for trio 5230/5530/5800.
I believe this phone really priced right.
I've already seen more 5230 owner than iPhone owner in Indonesia.
I believe in 2010 the sale number of sole type of Nokia 5230 will beat all the iphone model combined together.
Now, this is what a market leader is.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
I thought I was in the same boat till yesterday, wont change the Vivaz now for along time, stick SPB Mobile Shell on it and it totally transforms the experience.

Symbian^3 looks interesting and I might buy a device just to see what's what when they start to appear but it all depends on how quickly apps get ported over.

Like you Steve I still think Android needs another year to mature by which time I think Symbian will have surpassed it in the UI department as I like you believe Symbian still offers the most functions within the OS.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Unregistered

I don't think you need to wait for apps to be ported for S3.

AFAIK, native S60 apps will be supported in S3 devices (there is a mention on S3 supporting both AVKON .sis and QT .sis), where as the S4 will totally ditch the avkon.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Unregistered

My solution is to own several phones and pick up a different one every morning depending on mood.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Very fair Steve, let`s hope this year`s crop offer up some genuine rivals to Apple at last. I really want to like Maemo/Meego but too much tinkering at moment but the next/final step should be really interesting. I hope Symbian gets something decent out and it`s on decently spec`d hardware rather than last years shambles if it doesn`t and without being too dramatic I think it`s all over as it`ll get swamped by tidal wave of Android which will include more and more cheap ones, Symbian is already in big trouble vs Android with Apps as numbers released to Android are starting to accelerate exponentially according to last weeks figs. It could be that SF^3 turns out to be last roll of the dice and the longer we have to wait the more the weight of expectations on it and SF^4 is just going to take to long to be released before the market share has been tied up, maybe not but it`s a close thing I think

Old 11-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Unregistered

Recommendable phone

I have a N97 myself, and have played a lot with the N97Mini.

I have growned quite satisfied with my N97, I love it for the decent (better than average) camera, the video-cam (yes, I know pre-focus would have been nice, but..), the oodles of mass-storage, the flexibility, good software support, the now working Ovi Store (I think I have bought about 13 games, and 5 apps). I use Google Maps on it (works like a charm), I email, I surf the web, use dropbox thru the browser, SMS.

Yes, they both deserve a better CPU and RAM for real power users, but for semi-power users (lack of a better word), I can defintely recommend the N97Mini. It has a good price/performance ratio. Compared to similarly priced phones like the HTC Hero, the N97Mini wins hands down in almost every department, except UI slickness (which is not really that big of a deal).

BUT - it is critical for Nokia, to be able to compete in the future, that they deliver on promises and rumours mounted by Symbian3 and the rumored Nokia N8-00 device. If executed, that could very well be the comeback Nokia needs in the high-end for sure!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 PM

bluejacker is on a distinguished road
I think a good combination at the moment would be an E71/E72 or N86 (depending if you like qwerty or not) running JoikuSpot and an iPod Touch. Use the Nokia for all the phone stuff (calls, messaging, imaging) and navigating and the iPod Touch for web surfing, apps and music.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:38 PM

sadude is on a distinguished road
I have been a nokia fan for quite some time...I think my first phone was the gold 3390 or the crazy flip 6800.

I honestly have loved every single one of these phones and have tried since the 6800 to have a full qwerty as I love to text and write. i can't stand abbreviations and must be able to capture full thoughts.

I really do hope Nokia makes a big splash with symbian^3 since they really need the boost but honestly i think the nuron will do very well in getting nokia known again in the usa

I have the n97 mini on order and I am really looking forward to it since it seems like there are many apps for the touch based S60V5 phones.

I still believe apple is hype and I have a feeling that unless froyo brings all the androids together they may be in for a long haul.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Unregistered

Between E61i and E63

Thanks for another great article Steve. There is something between the sturdy E61i that you use as your backup device and the recommended E63. It's the E71. I have both these phones (my wife uses a red E63). Both hardware AND SOFTWARE are MUCH better on E71. Build quality is fabulous. Hardware is awsome - metal and high quality plastic. Plus being only 10 mm thick it is extremely pocketable. Plus, smallish but very useable full QWERTTY. On top of that an incredibly reliable GPS with free voice navigation now available for free. Software is rock stable now at ver. 410.xxx.xxx (7th iteration). Yet, most of all the device has some incredible kind of elegance and MAGIC,which is its greatest advantage. BTW, newer batches manufactured in Hungary have slightly better cameras - photo quality is quite acceptable for casual pictures.
Ads

Old 12-04-2010, 05:46 AM
Unregistered

An N82 user who agrees with Steve

The N82 is far from a perfect phone, but I've yet to see a phone with a superset of its features, so I stick with it. Fortunately, it's built (nearly) like a tank, though I did accidentally crack the screen of my first one with a beer keg.

I'm hoping to see a phone to replace my N82 in the coming year, but I put it at only a 50-50 chance.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 AM
wiltjer

If someone would just squeeze the i8910 into the E90 formfactor, it would be the best phone in the world by far!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Unregistered

Strong speculation that Nokia will announce the N8 tomorrow running Symbian^3 OS.