All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 11-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Rafe's Avatar
Rafe Rafe is offline
Founder / Chief
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sussex
Posts: 6,084
Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia's Tero Ojanperä on Solutions and strategy

Nokia is currently transforming itself from a hardware company to a hardware+services (solutions) company. At MWC 2010, we spoke to Tero Ojanperä, EVP of Services, in order to get an insight into current progress. Over a wide-ranging interview we cover a number of topics around Nokia's service strategy including how Ovi fits into Nokia's software platform strategy, the thought processes that led to free navigation, the importance of services compared to phone hardware, getting content onto the Ovi Store, the importance of partners and much more.

Read on in the full article.

  #2  
Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Jimmy1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Okay, I'm sorry, I have to laugh at this.

Even as a current Nokia owner (E71 and 6650 flip), the idea that the Finns in Espoo can somehow transform themselves into a software services company is absolutely laughable.

Software or services is just NOT in their DNA. It never has been. They're a pure hardware company, like Sony (who also can't do software). To be credible in at least services, a company needs absolutely phenomenal customer service and product post sales support. Nokia's current performance in this area is abysmal, even in the markets where they're strong, and the Ovi store is still a total joke.

Nokia's best strategy going forward, in handsets, is to leverage their strength in hardware design and model HTC, who presently make some of the best smart phones on the market.

  #3  
Old 11-03-2010, 02:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
ahlgren and

What happened to his left hand ? Did he have an accident ?

  #4  
Old 11-03-2010, 07:52 AM
N/A's Avatar
N/A N/A is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,949
N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
To be credible in at least services, a company needs absolutely phenomenal customer service and product post sales support.
How's Google's customer service and post-sales support? What's their support email? What's their call center number for customers to call for assistance?

  #5  
Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
@jimmy1,

I have to disagree with you a bit here. As an American currently for the gov't and living in Finland, I can say that Finns are very good at software. They simply do not make it pretty. They have a sort of austere functionality that serves the purpose without much fanfare. Yes, they can do more to make it look better and to perform better, but in essence the essential operations are there.

I do agree with you 100% when you say that Nokia will most likely fail in their attempt to be a services company. You can see this in their product launches. They launch "flagship" phone after "flagship" phone without the necessary infrastructure in place. They just lost a sale for me on the N900 while not providing Ovi support. What are they thinking here? This is simply amateurish and unprofessional. People may hate Apple for a variety of reasons, but no one can say that they do not provide a great and memorable user experience the first time, every time. Even when they have issues (Mobile Me launch), they correct it, issues an apology and offer the customer something free. Nokia does no such thing. The N97 was and is in some ways still defective. Nokia too months and was forced to admit that something was wrong and they did nothing other than what was forced from the negative publicity. A simple test would be to see if Nokia could really compete if they had to go up against Apple or HTC, or Android with only one phone instead of having the lower end models saving their butts. Without the bottom end, Nokia would be in dire shape.

  #6  
Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
under Blot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
@jimmy1,
People may hate Apple for a variety of reasons, but no one can say that they do not provide a great and memorable user experience the first time, every time..

As an iPhone owner and Snow Leopard user I can definitely state that this is not true. Their stuff is full of irritating esoterocisms and awful control desisions and in many cases just poor product performance.

As stated elsewhere on this site, an iPhone has an excellent web browser capability and application platform, but is rendered useless against Nokia phones because the Nokias can still pull in strong signal where the iPhone is struggling to even see its carrier. It's battery life is crap and there is a list of other irritations as long as your arm.

It does some things very well, but is far from a perfect "user experience every time".

I feel fortunate that I am immune to hype.

  #7  
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As an iPhone owner and Snow Leopard user I can definitely state that this is not true. Their stuff is full of irritating esoterocisms and awful control desisions and in many cases just poor product performance.

As stated elsewhere on this site, an iPhone has an excellent web browser capability and application platform, but is rendered useless against Nokia phones because the Nokias can still pull in strong signal where the iPhone is struggling to even see its carrier. It's battery life is crap and there is a list of other irritations as long as your arm.

It does some things very well, but is far from a perfect "user experience every time".

I feel fortunate that I am immune to hype.
I too own an iPhone and also a Nokia, and can easily admit that neither phone outshines the other. The one thing I have found is that with the iPhone, you pretty much get what you signed on for. I have not had any of the signal problems that you are experiencing. The battery life on just about smartphone today is crap at best. It seems the battery technology race has not kept up with the demands of the hardwired and software. The irritations that I have were there from the very start and documented (if you consider them irritations) enough on the Internet to allow anyone to make an informed purchase. So if you purchased an iPhone knowing what you know then you have only you to blame. Nokia continued to sell the N97 with a defective lens protector, a badly placed GPS antenna, TERRIBLE software, and they remained silent until it simply became to widely known.

You do have valid points about most things though.
Ads

  #8  
Old 11-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I too own an iPhone and also a Nokia, and can easily admit that neither phone outshines the other. The one thing I have found is that with the iPhone, you pretty much get what you signed on for. I have not had any of the signal problems that you are experiencing. The battery life on just about smartphone today is crap at best. It seems the battery technology race has not kept up with the demands of the hardwired and software. The irritations that I have were there from the very start and documented (if you consider them irritations) enough on the Internet to allow anyone to make an informed purchase. So if you purchased an iPhone knowing what you know then you have only you to blame. Nokia continued to sell the N97 with a defective lens protector, a badly placed GPS antenna, TERRIBLE software, and they remained silent until it simply became to widely known.

You do have valid points about most things though.
I work in an office with fringe coverage, so I can do this experiment with any iPhone and have done several times.

Place the Nokia with an O2 Sim next to any iPhone on o2. The Nokia has a steady 3 bars. The iPhones say "no service" and "searching". This is consistent. I can make and receive calls from my desk with the Nokia. The iPhone owners have to go outside and find a spot in the car park where they get a signal. That's all iPhones.

As for knowing the iPhone flaws before I bought, yes I did and I still went ahead and got one, because it has apps available that I need and make my life easier. There is no Wordpress client for Symbian and the ftp and on screen editing allows me to maintain several websites on the move. Unfortunately, I have to carry two phones because I also need a reliable voice connection. (an no the ipod touch is not the answer because there are times and places when the iPhone 3G connection is useful.

I also was aware of the N97 problems, which is why I didn't buy one. Nokia have almost as capable phones at a fraction of the price.

  #9  
Old 11-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
tanks transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I work in an office with fringe coverage, so I can do this experiment with any iPhone and have done several times.

Place the Nokia with an O2 Sim next to any iPhone on o2. The Nokia has a steady 3 bars. The iPhones say "no service" and "searching". This is consistent. I can make and receive calls from my desk with the Nokia. The iPhone owners have to go outside and find a spot in the car park where they get a signal. That's all iPhones.

As for knowing the iPhone flaws before I bought, yes I did and I still went ahead and got one, because it has apps available that I need and make my life easier. There is no Wordpress client for Symbian and the ftp and on screen editing allows me to maintain several websites on the move. Unfortunately, I have to carry two phones because I also need a reliable voice connection. (an no the ipod touch is not the answer because there are times and places when the iPhone 3G connection is useful.

I also was aware of the N97 problems, which is why I didn't buy one. Nokia have almost as capable phones at a fraction of the price.
The reception issue is rather unfortunate. I was recently the US, the UK and Finland. My iPhone worked well in all of these locations. Maybe, maybe it is an 02 problem. Either way, I think the coming iPhone will fix the reception problems.

As for Nokia, I can't think of one single flagship phone released in the last two or 3 years that did not have some major design or software flaw. I have very little confidence in Nokia as a phone manufacturer and even less as a services company. They had a head-start on Apple for about a year or so and Ovi is still a disaster and playing catch up. I am afraid that when the iPad launches, this will just seal the deal.

  #10  
Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Rafe's Avatar
Rafe Rafe is offline
Founder / Chief
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sussex
Posts: 6,084
Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I imagine people said that mobile phones were not in a Nokia's DNA when they switched from being a cable / rubber company to mobile phones (yes here was a transition period).

Moreover the fact that there is software running in all of Nokia's phone means it is already a very capable software engineering company. Now you can make an argument about web services etc, but this is a nascent market (relatively speaking). And Nokia can point to sucess too (Ovi Maps and Ovi Mail and Nokia Messaging being the obvious ones).

Solutions is about service + hardware - not just one or the other. Solutons is likely to be a global game, which is currently the most mis-understood / overlooked factor going forward in mobile.

Anyone who really thinks Ovi is a total disaster isn't watching closely enough and/or doesn't understand global scale. It has its problems - absolutely - so does everyone else. Are Nokia's worse - worse than what? Nokia has received a lot of criticism because of its weakness in the hgih end space - but that does not mean the business strategy is wrong. So yes Nokia needs some good hardware products at the high end matched with new software versions, but there's a clear roadmap for that. In the mean time the N97 (and yes it ha had issues) has still sold more than any other single Android product (rather suggesting that sales mechanics are more complicated than what some 'term' best).

If you compare Nokia's progress here to their traditional competitors you'll see a very different story. It is the only one of the traditional handset manufactrers that is in the solutions game. And I would argue Nokia has the most coherent startegy for addressing a global market.

And there are several nuggets in the interview that no one has really picked up on. Shame really - this is not about Nokia versus iPhone - that really is only one part of the story.
__________________
Remember: The search command is your friend.
Feedback wanted: PM, email or post with your suggestions, complaints, feedback.

  #11  
Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Unregi Ali
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Comparing

I think Comparing Nokia to google or Apple or Samsung is not that easy.
Google is a great Software Company, but no Hardware.
Apple has a bit of both Software and Hardware. But their Hardware and Software is verry restricted and they are in both Area not the leader just one ofthe player.
Samsung is strong in Hardware but little in Software cases, I dont count Bada because no hardware and software on market.

Nokia is a all in one Company. They have a lot Hardware and Software and Services. Nokia is not a Services Company but they show us that Nokia can change it self. I think in 2-3 years Nokias Eco System with Meego,Symbian, S40, QT, Ovi Services and Ovi Store will grove enormous.

All Competitors of Nokia have their strength and week but none of them is stronger than Nokia in every area.

  #12  
Old 11-03-2010, 01:52 PM
RogerPodacter RogerPodacter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cali, USA
Posts: 773
RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Nokia has great hardware, but they are not good at software, period. Please, how long did we live with the call log bug, 2 years or so? How long did we wait for threaded text, which never even made it to useable, and then disappeared? How long have we been asking for a real html email client, which we still dont have (or just now got from nokia messaging beta labs)? Dont make me go on with more examples. Nokia just doesnt do good software...they do enough to barely get by. Those are the facts as i see them.

  #13  
Old 11-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As for Nokia, I can't think of one single flagship phone released in the last two or 3 years that did not have some major design or software flaw.
I can rewrite that more accurately without the Nokia bashing:

"As for smartphones, I can't think of one sinlge flagship phone in the last 5 years that did not have some major design or software flaw. "

  #14  
Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
Nokia has great hardware, but they are not good at software, period. Please, how long did we live with the call log bug, 2 years or so? How long did we wait for threaded text, which never even made it to useable, and then disappeared? How long have we been asking for a real html email client, which we still dont have (or just now got from nokia messaging beta labs)? Dont make me go on with more examples. Nokia just doesnt do good software...they do enough to barely get by. Those are the facts as i see them.
I can give you a list like that for any smartphone maker.

  #15  
Old 11-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Fed up
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
"As stated elsewhere on this site, an iPhone has an excellent web browser capability and application platform, but is rendered useless against Nokia phones because the Nokias can still pull in strong signal where the iPhone is struggling to even see its carrier. It's battery life is crap and there is a list of other irritations as long as your arm."

I'm getting sick and tired of reading this, it's so subjective it's unreal :-/. I'm in Newcastle and get perfect 3G nigh on everywhere even my office, yet when I went to London a while back I barely got any 3G service, just Edge.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
nokia, ojanperä, solutions, strategy, tero

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nokia's Christof Hellmis on Ovi Maps and location strategy Rafe Series 60 9 11-03-2010 12:40 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:39 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy