All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 10-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you purchased your FP1 phone and it didn't have maps, why do you suddenly think you are entitled to maps?
Because Nokia's told us.

Check out:
http://events.nokia.com/ovimaps/index.html

Read the headline on the page:
"Navigation on your Nokia is now free.....That’s free navigation for everyone. Forever."

Let's read on:
"Until today, Navigation has been kept in the hands of the few. Today that changes. We realised that billions of people around the world already have mobile phones that are perfectly suited to delivering Navigation. So we’re going to let them do that. From this day on, Navigation on your Nokia, with Ovi Maps, will be free for everyone, everywhere, to get people to the places they love. Now, and forever."

Seems pretty clear to me!

Old 10-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Unregistered

whiners! you bought the phone and it is still the same phone! wtf guys.. Nokia need to spend money on innovation and not lazy freebies. What did you expect buying fp2 with 9.5 already in the mix?! be thankful for what you get - fp2's are STILL excellent phones and i have one my self. There is a break in compatibility due to touch vs buttons - face it.

Buy another phone if you want .. who would care? Why would one wish for a customer that shouts about details and wants everything for free? Seriously -- get a grip!

Old 10-03-2010, 12:40 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred* View Post
Just so you don't try this new service on an E71. I did and now the GPS doesn't work at all. It looks like (from the advice of a Nokia Store employee) that the only solution is to downgrade to the old maps. Thanks for nothing Nokia! Couldn't they say it wouldn't work on an E71????
Doesn't the fact that the E71 isn't listed as a supported device count as telling you that it doesn't work on an E71?

The complaining on this site is beyond belief!

Old 10-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Because Nokia's told us.

Check out:

"Navigation on your Nokia is now free.....That’s free navigation for everyone. Forever."

Let's read on:
"Until today, Navigation has been kept in the hands of the few. Today that changes. We realised that billions of people around the world already have mobile phones that are perfectly suited to delivering Navigation. So we’re going to let them do that. From this day on, Navigation on your Nokia, with Ovi Maps, will be free for everyone, everywhere, to get people to the places they love. Now, and forever."

Clear? Really? So, those people who purchased N95s and N82s etc had read that statement before they purchased? Even though they purchased before the statement was published?

They can't lose what they didn't have. Case dismissed.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Clear? Really? So, those people who purchased N95s and N82s etc had read that statement before they purchased? Even though they purchased before the statement was published?

They can't lose what they didn't have. Case dismissed.
1. People have GPS enabled Nokias bought a while back.
2. People read a Nokia release telling them they will get free navigation on their phones (see the link above)
3. People then find out Nokia might not after all give them free navigation and are therefore disappointed.

Surely that's clear and understandable? All comes down to bad PR by Nokia.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:22 PM

rexdude is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeep1singh View Post
Never thought I'd say this but Nokia is turning into a bigger devil than.... Apple.

People who bought their iphones before I bought my Nokia are still getting support and my N82 is prehistoric and unsupported in Nokia's eyes.
You conveniently forget (or are ignorant) about the fact that you continue paying for the goddamn iPhone even after u supposedly buy it. It costs more than a comparable Nokia over the period of the 2 year mandatory AT&T contract.
With a store bought fullprice Nokia, you paid the entire sum upfront and got a decent to use phone that's far more capable than the iPhone, open to installing apps/using with any SIM card/replaceable battery etc etc.

Apple customers are tied in to Apple for 2 years and are paying (through their noses) for the privilege of using the great iPhone, so they bloody well better get support for it.
Your N82 (and mine) came with the usual 1 year replacement warranty that included free customer support. What more do you want?

If you're too cheap to buy a map license even after now that the price has come down, you can still find cracked versions of Ovi Maps on various other mobile forums.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:27 PM

rexdude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't care what it costs Nokia. I don't agree that some of us should have to pay for Ovi maps while others get them for free. I have an N95 8GB. It isn't a cheap phone and it is still in contract. Yet when I try to use Ovi maps it just tells me I have to pay. I an VERY, VERY annoyed over this. I have always bought Nokia phones but, if they don't give me the maps for free, my next phone will NOT be a Nokia!!
Sorry dude, your contract was with your mobile operator, not with Nokia.
As far as Nokia goes, they sold the phone at full price to your operator, who then interfered with the phone's firmware to lock it down to their SIM cards, and under your contract terms, you can only seek out your provider for tech support.

Nokia's got nothing to do with this.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
1. People have GPS enabled Nokias bought a while back.
2. People read a Nokia release telling them they will get free navigation on their phones (see the link above)
3. People then find out Nokia might not after all give them free navigation and are therefore disappointed.

Surely that's clear and understandable? All comes down to bad PR by Nokia.
If it's bad PR it still doesn't entitle people to a freebie.

Nokia are giving free navigation forever to everyone who buys the right phone. That statement is for new purchasers, not people who got a retrospective gift. It seems some are a little slow on the uptake.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamehr View Post
Another example, as I mention in my post two up above, of utterly pathetic, ridiculous, and totally IRRELEVANT analogies, that are no analogy at all.

[b]Since when did Nokia give you updates to your Blackberry Curve, for Ovi Store, Ovi Chat, Nokia Messaging, etc etc and so on and so forth...

LOL! Caught a big one there! Fishing has never been so easy.

Can I recommend a nice calming drink of camomile tea!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Because Nokia's told us.

Check out:

Let's read on:

However, if you then tried to update Ovi maps for your phone and/or get a free license, it became clear which phones were supproted and which were not. I agree that the press release could have been made clearer, but those people who think they have some divine right to all of the freebies that owners of newer phones have are deluded.

And boy, doesn't shademehr like to shout, especially when most of what he's shouting about is total crap...

Old 10-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Unregistered

When am I going to get free Nokia maps with route guidance on my Nintendo DS? Nokia said free maps for everyone, so where is maps for my Nintendo?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM

machimshin is on a distinguished road
That is really great, even if its not free, its absolute bargain. Nokia thank you at least for this, and I tthank also to AAS team and readers, which I think helped much with pushing Nokia to do this.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:53 PM

mushroom_daddy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Let's read on:
Other than the fact that some will moan and gripe whatever happens, I think it's these quoted statements by Nokia and their failure (even now) to revise the advertising that's really getting peoples goat.

Personally I'm a very happy E71 user. I like Ovi maps, but hadn't liked paying the license fee to enjoy voice navigation, considering it too expensive for my very occasional use. I have therefore got by with the odd free trial license or purchased the occasional 1 or 5 day option. This has largely met my requirements. I could buy a lot of licenses for the price of the new (and not significantly improved) E72.

Like many, I was excited to see the announcement that voice navigation would be free for all, and figured it was great marketing move by Nokia, attracting new buyers to the platform and retaining existing users - who would eventually be tempted to buy another Nokia handset. I was also impressed that Steve L's free navigation forecast had finally come true

Even today, with the burgeoning disquiet on this and many other forums, Nokia fail to correct the misleading 'free for all' statement. It's this failure that I find most irritating.
It really wouldn't take much effort to correct the misconception and just tell people that their not going to get Ovi maps with Navigation on their legacy S60 3rd Edition FP1 etc. phones, it's going to be free for new purchases only. I'd be happy with that!

Right now I'm really pleased with the new pricing model for Europe voice navigation, it's an affordable option for an E71 user. Yet that doesn't appear to have been officially announced, which makes me suspect that things could still change yet again. Are some people going to buy these new reduced price licenses, only to find that 2, 3, or 6 months later it all go free? It could yet easily do so; there's no obvious technological reason why free license codes could not be distributed today for Ovi Maps on many existing Nokia mobiles (e.g. Maps 3.01).

Uncertainty breeds discontent ...

Old 11-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

Testing the waters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom_daddy View Post

Even today, with the burgeoning disquiet on this and many other forums, Nokia fail to correct the misleading 'free for all' statement. It's this failure that I find most irritating.
It really wouldn't take much effort to correct the misconception and just tell people that their not going to get Ovi maps with Navigation on their legacy S60 3rd Edition FP1 etc. phones, it's going to be free for new purchases only. I'd be happy with that!

Right now I'm really pleased with the new pricing model for Europe voice navigation, it's an affordable option for an E71 user. Yet that doesn't appear to have been officially announced, which makes me suspect that things could still change yet again. Are some people going to buy these new reduced price licenses, only to find that 2, 3, or 6 months later it all go free? It could yet easily do so; there's no obvious technological reason why free license codes could not be distributed today for Ovi Maps on many existing Nokia mobiles (e.g. Maps 3.01).

Uncertainty breeds discontent ...
A reasonable analysis.

I think that Nokia has lowered the price to test the waters. If a significant number of people stop complaining, they will probably not release Maps updates for FP1 devices.

I very recently bought a E71 (unlocked, NAM) and the navigation bit is not an issue for me. A bigger concern is this, "What is Nokia's policy on supporting older yet active products?" The press release is disturbing in multiple ways:
1. The original intention was to support all GPS enabled smartphones in market. Nokia underestimated the effort, time and hence cost.
2. The PR folks went overboard with it and now do not know how to fix their mistake.

As mushroom_daddy implies, a clear statement would help dispel the discontent. Ignoring the issue, as Nokia seems to be doing, would only make the it worse.
Ads

Old 11-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
A reasonable analysis.

I think that Nokia has lowered the price to test the waters. If a significant number of people stop complaining, they will probably not release Maps updates for FP1 devices.

I very recently bought a E71 (unlocked, NAM) and the navigation bit is not an issue for me. A bigger concern is this, "What is Nokia's policy on supporting older yet active products?" The press release is disturbing in multiple ways:
1. The original intention was to support all GPS enabled smartphones in market. Nokia underestimated the effort, time and hence cost.
2. The PR folks went overboard with it and now do not know how to fix their mistake.

As mushroom_daddy implies, a clear statement would help dispel the discontent. Ignoring the issue, as Nokia seems to be doing, would only make the it worse.
It's not a big deal. It will be forgotten in a month. There are always stirrers and troublemakers who make a lot of noise but most people are perfectly reasonable and can understand that the world and Nokia doesn't owe them everything.