All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Unregistered

The problem with licencing...

... is that it makes the GPS not work when you most need it.

On my recent visit to finland, I had to spend a gopod half hour reconfiguring the GPS before I was able to use. The problem: I switched to a local SIM card, like many of us do when we come to a new country.

Tried to use use the GPS... Maps informed me that the license needs to be transferred to the new SIM. I pressed yes. After a while, my route simply disappeared without any further prompt. Tried a again, the same results-

Figured on my own that the problem might be that I would have to internet-enable the phone. Thankfully, it is possible to access the internet with a pre-paid SIM card in Finland (Unlike US T-Mobile Pre-paid, and many, many other plcaes.) Once I had the operator service message installed, which took some time as that was not the first time I was using the SIM, I had a valic packet data access point.

Tried again, the same thing.

go to the maps settings, and change the default access point to Elisa Internet. Tried to plan my route. The same result as before (I have no idea why it didn't work this time)

Now Back to options, and specifically choosing Update Licenses. this time it worked. But who is willing to go through all that just to get to drive from the Airport. Tiread and cranky after flying all night -- I was ready to throw my E71 out of the car window.

Besides, the great majority of phone users would not know how to get it to work.

During my recent visits to Sweden and the US I was not that lucky. The GPS remained dead until I got to where I was going and was able to update the licence using WLAN.

What really sucks with Ovi Maps Licencing, is that it lets you down when you most need it. It works home where you know your way around, but venture to a place you'd be lost without it, and the chances are you will be lost with a dead navigator.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Unregistered

Nokia should be worried about keeping customers

Nokia should be doing more (like pumping out Ovi maps for older FP2 phones) to keep customers (like me) from jumping over to other brands when they upgrade. The current Nokia phones don't compel me to do an early upgrade from my N85, but I'd be willing to hold out until Symbian^3 phones come out if they were still getting fresh new software upgrades for my current phone. Otherwise switching to Android gets more and more compelling

Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
What total crap. Nokia are offering something new for owners of older phones (ie. heavily subsidised navigation), and all people can say is "why should I have to pay for it at all".

And the fact that "your phone is still under contract" has nothing to do with Nokia; that's between you and your operator.

I am absolutely stunned at the greed and the "gimme gimme" attitude of those pathetic owners who feel that they should be given everthing for free. Sure, I would like this for free as well, but the difference is that I don't EXPECT or DEMAND it...

And those people saying that they will change phone provider simply because Nokia won't give them free navigation; all I can say is "good luck", because I doubt any other manufacturer will be as accomodating as Nokia have been in this case.

Last edited by buster; 09-03-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Unregistered

To all you whiners contemplating the move to android/iphone, ohh please do..and save yourselves (and others) from your misery. I have an N82, I did not expect free nav for it, so I went ahead an bought a 5800. Yes new owners do not have to pay for it coz they fork out money to buy new devices, so get over it. This is fantastic news, its freakin cheap!!! If thats not good enough for you then go buy your androids. But yes I believe N86 owners deserve this so here's hoping Nokia to fix that.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:46 PM

foxprorawks is on a distinguished road
I'm still hoping the free navigation officially makes it onto the N86.

If it doesn't, I'll just download a version for E72 and install that.

With regard to the camera on the N86, I use it for video - it's really handy and I think gives great results, as seen below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-9MzjRfjJY

Old 09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up thanks NOKIA

Im form India and own an e71

I dont understand all the moans and groans, come on people wise up,

where else can i get navigation at these prices ??

Now dont show me google maps, i cant pre load them and it would cost me more to download when im on roaming..

Old 09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Unregistered

Just quickly posting to echo the annoyance at people spouting their pathetic disdain towards Nokia for doing this. Why do you expect you should be given it?

Before you get on your high horse and spout "Never again with Nokia" claptrap, honestly ask yourself these questions...

- When you took the handset, did you pay full price for it? Did you get it for free, or heavily subsidised?
- Does your current handset do everything you were led to believe it would do when you got it? Or maybe more?
- If Nokia had completely ignored the current owners and stated that from the next round of Smartphone models Ovi Maps will be free, would you still be annoyed?
- Or, to put it another way, if your contract was up for renewal, and Nokia were now offering free Sat Nav on all smartphones, would you get one?
- What other phones out there offer free Sat Nav where you are?
- Do you think it's reasonable to expect extra unplanned services from any company once you have purchased their product?

I own an N85, and yes, I'm a little disappointed that the new version doesn't look likely for me, but I think this problem has more to do with the cloudy (and potentially rushed) communication from Nokia rather than the actual situation. If I don't get it, then fine, nothing changes for me. Sure, it might change for others that were fortunate enough to be on a different upgrade cycle, but I'm not going to spit my dummy out because of that. Nokia could have easily ignored them too (and nobody would have complained at all).

I've owned a woeful Orange branded N70 - there's plenty more to life than getting pissy because of circumstance. The newer model of my car has a better gearbox. Good for them. Fairness doesn't enter into it.

I was thinking of going to a SE handset after this one, since the user interface just seemed more user-focussed, but free Sat Nav has tipped me back come the next upgrade, I think.

Simon

Old 09-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

I'll bite my tongue and restrict my comment to all those who expect a free upgrade to providing an analogy. You buy a car the manufacturer brings out a new model that makes more power do you think for one moment that you'll be able to drive your year old model into the workshop and get the ECU updated free of charge? HELL NO! So stop your bitchin'.

Just to upset you even more, I paid for voice nav on my E90 (S60, 3rd Edition, FP1) just over a year ago, my licence has since expired and I was reluctant to pay for a new one as I may be replacing the handset soon. Having seen the low price of renewing I decided to pay for a new licence, but clicking "update licence" has just given me a fully working app without requesting payment. So it looks like if you previously paid you get the update for free.

MotorSportsFan
Ads

Old 09-03-2010, 04:01 PM

TheProdigalFool is on a distinguished road
Stupid question

Stupid question perhaps but why not simply install the Ovi Maps Beta 3.04 from the Beta Labs site on the N86?

Last edited by TheProdigalFool; 09-03-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Unregistered

And Walk Navigation is 7.99 for a full license; is that for ever? Presumably it's another extra on top of the drive license?

Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

Its not fair

Someone told me the other day that people buying a new VW van will find it goes faster than my old one, uses less fuel and is more comfortable and roomy. I think it is outrageous that new buyers get all these benefits but VW has not offered to upgrade my Van to the same specification. Its not fair - Waaaahhh

Really I would love free maps on my old Nokia but it was never part of my agrement with Nokia as others have pointed out.

Oh and it is not just about hardware, I have not noticed anyone in a 12 month contract being asked to change it to 18 months becasue that is what new customers are having to sign up to. Perhaps some people here think it would be fair for the carriers to ask existing users to agree to the same terms as new subscribers?

There are lots of good reasons to get annoyed with Nokia - this is not one of them.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Unregistered

Didn't the press release tell us that Ovi maps was getting free navigation, forever?

That made me assume that the ovi maps on my phone would be getting free navigation.

Call me stupid.....

Old 09-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Uninterested

I was going to step in and suggest the whingers with old phones are unrealistic, but they have taken enough of a slapping in the latter half of the thread.

To read some of them reminds me of my 8 year old complaining that his sister has more milkshake in her glass than him.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
Heh! You guys are crazy. Comparing mobile phones to cars...please use your brains a bit more.

I agree about excuses done by AAS (should be AAN). Can not find any unbiased info here!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Unregistered

This is fine. Great. Awesome.

I was spitting mad when it was announced that my brand-new e71x would not be getting the free turn-by-turn directions. My particular anger was over the fact that the technology existed to make it free (simply lower the cost of the current version of maps).

Still, please keep in mind that future phones that include the maps have that calculated in the purchase price. My phone did not. As such, a reasonable and affordable price such as the one that is announced here is a very reasonable compromise by Nokia.