All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 28-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Exclusive: Previewing Symbian^3's Podcatcher

As I wrote six weeks ago, work has been progressing to convert the old open source Escarpod podcast catcher into an application that can be part of the (also open source) Symbian^3 operating system. Now, exclusively, with kind permission, I have much more on the app, appropriately just called 'Podcatcher'. Read on for a detailed walk through and screenshots. Note that Symbian^3 itself won't appear on devices until at least the summer, but at least we now know that it'll have podcasting functionality, a relief to many in the Symbian ecosystem, including me!

Read on in the full article.

Old 28-02-2010, 04:32 PM

germcevoy is on a distinguished road
very nice. Beats the bare bones of the current podcasting app.

Old 28-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Unregistered

Cool Whats with the text?

Hey! why can't we have icons for update, add and settings, instead of text??
you won't even have to worry abt localization then.

Old 28-02-2010, 06:31 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Is this gonna be available for 5th edition?

Old 28-02-2010, 06:38 PM

teknolog is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the coverage Steve!

Anyone can run Podcatcher on their 5th edition phone. We're very interested in people testing it out and reporting bugs. There are instructions how to run the latest build on the Podcatcher package wiki page.

About icons for the toolbar, that would be great. But someone has to draw them, or find suitable icons. I dug through the icons in the platform, and there are candidates that can be adapted. So this is another area where you can help out.

There is also a list of features planned on the backlog wiki page. If someone wants to take a stab at implementing it, we'd be more than happy!

About providing it for S^1 (5th edition), we certainly want to maintain compatibility. I'll be running the N97 for the foreseeable future, and I'll be running Podcatcher on it.

Old 28-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Unregistered

you think symbian is really so difficult to code for that nokia coders themselves couldn't bring the old podcast app into those newer E series phones?
Ads

Old 28-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you think symbian is really so difficult to code for that nokia coders themselves couldn't bring the old podcast app into those newer E series phones?
Symbian is not difficult to code for.

Old 28-02-2010, 07:13 PM

just installed it without a hitch on my 5800. Missing some artwork but so far so good.

Old 28-02-2010, 07:19 PM

anybody got the name of the theme in use in the screenshots above?

Old 28-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The theme in the screenshots is "Just Black", a minimalist theme by Jon at tehkseven.net

Old 28-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Jimmy1

Well, I'm glad Nokia has proceeding ahead with this.

Let's not act, though, that the company is only just responding to some wacky, out there, new fad. Podcasting has been around since the first few Creative Zens and iPods; what-- it's almost a decade now, I think? It isn't the 'tech elite, bloggers and first adopters' who are only into podcasts. I would include many consumers who commute to work/school.

Just because we're fans of a company, let's not excuse their shortcomings.

Old 28-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Brendan Donegan

Nokia? What are you talking about? Nokia have nothing to do with this. I hope a day will come when everyone understands that the Symbian Foundation is *not* a subsiduary of Nokia nor is it obliged to Nokia in any way.

Old 28-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Jimmy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Donegan View Post
Nokia? What are you talking about? Nokia have nothing to do with this. I hope a day will come when everyone understands that the Symbian Foundation is *not* a subsiduary of Nokia nor is it obliged to Nokia in any way.
Oh, come on, be honest. Even though the SF is now 'independent', their main benefactor is Nokia. They're unofficially tied at the hip.

Old 28-02-2010, 10:26 PM

teknolog is on a distinguished road
Yes the main contributor is Nokia, but this contribution has nothing to do with Nokia whatsoever.

In fact, as Steve mentioned in the article, Nokia for reasons unknown decided not to contribute their podcasting application.

Old 28-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Brendan Donegan

@Jimmy1, so how would you explain the relationship between Nokia and the Symbian Foundation?
In relation to this contribution of the podcatcher application, what involvement do you think Nokia had?