All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Delivering a Nokia N86 verdict

The well respected 'tnkgrl' takes on the Nokia N86 here, comparing its results to those from two other top camera phones. It's fair to dsay that she was impressed though not blown away - and most interestingly of all, she also experienced the 'frame drops soon after initial capture' that I've been battling with (more description below). Comments welcome if you too have seen this.

Read on in the full article.

Old 22-02-2010, 10:54 AM

raffmonster is on a distinguished road
Hmmm

For users experiencing lag as stated above.

for the video recording issue,try changing default storage to mem.card and ensure you have a Class 4(4mbps)
Micro SD card in.

It so happens that the throughput of mass mem is a bit laggy and canít handle high bitrate video.

I've already replied on his site

Old 22-02-2010, 02:04 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffmonster View Post
For users experiencing lag as stated above.

for the video recording issue,try changing default storage to mem.card and ensure you have a Class 4(4mbps)
Micro SD card in.

It so happens that the throughput of mass mem is a bit laggy and canít handle high bitrate video.

I've already replied on his site
Her site ...

Not owned an N86, but on the N85 I did suffer from dropped frames. What was interesting was that it was on a memory card that I'd used in a HD camcorder, and that had never had issues.

Old 22-02-2010, 02:08 PM
fakefur

and they didn't even get started on the email "app" (in quotes because it's really so bad it shouldn't be called an app at all)

i bought my N86 because of what this device could do (according to the nokia info at the time) and it has been mostly a huge disappointment that has left a really bad taste in my mouth when it comes to nokia ... so much so that i have already pre-ordered an htc desire for not much more than my N86 cost me just 6 months ago

oh well bye bye nokia

Old 22-02-2010, 06:28 PM

richardyates is on a distinguished road
I have to say my N86 has been a huge disappointment photographically. It isn't even in the same league as the C905, nor the i8510 nor the i8910 (all of which I have). It produces very poor low light conditions photos - something which the C905 is superb at. The worst problem however is that pictures can appear fine on its screen, but the definition is dreadful on a monitor. I have just come back with 92 photos from Zurich - only 36 of the pictures are what I would define as adequate.

By comparison, I have 400 or so pictures from Hamburg last year, only one of which did I ditch as too poor to keep

Did someone say there was an email client on this:-) - My supposedly check every 15 mins email works when it feels like it, with no apparent rhyme or reason - except that it downloaded 200 emails when told not to do whilst roaming - can't wait for the bill.

Build quality, yes, that's great but overall this phone is a huge fail for me
Ads

Old 22-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Unregistered

N86

The N86 was going to be my upgrade from my N95 8gb,but i was expecting more from the N86,the camera was not as good as people were saying an night photos let the phone down,then the Speakers were not as loud as my previous mobile an the screen very small indeed ,so returned the N86 an bought the N82 instead an this is still one of the Best Camera mobiles around,hope in 201o we do get another mobile from Nokia with the xenon flash

Old 23-02-2010, 09:21 AM

brawbob is on a distinguished road
The screen was too small so you bought an N82? Strange comment considering that has a smaller screen.
I dont get the endless analysis of phone cameras. Half(at least) the problems/advantages of one phone compared to another are so minor that photographically they make little or no difference at the end of the day. The ONLY phone pics I have seen printed at 10 x 8 that impressed me were taken on a Samsung Pixon. Rank rotten phone, nice camera.
I have owned an N95, N95 8gb, and now an N86(not to mention Samsungs and SE). The differences at 100% enlargement on my pc are small(and all look horrible) and would be hard to spot if printed at 5 x 7. The N86 might not have a Xenon flash but it does provide slightly better low light pics without flash than the other 2.
At the end of the day, if all you do is store the pics on your phone and print the occasional one then a decent 3 mp will be just as effective as 12 or 8 or 5 even. Its easy to get a bit anal about cameras and look for any excuse to favour one phone over another , but hey thats why manufacturers tweak algorythms and settings-to make us "upgrade".
Its just a phone with a camera after all!

Old 23-02-2010, 01:22 PM

richardyates is on a distinguished road
Some of what you say is true, and of course you have a point. I am quite happy to take my SE C905 on holiday and use it as my main camera - and the pictures look great on my imac when I get home.

My disappointment with the N86 is that it was sold to me as Nokia's flagship cameraphone - take its pictures home and they look very poor on the imac except those taken in full daylight. The difference is truly staggering

So if I want a good camera and s60, it boils down to the Satio, or the i8910. I have both, they both take great pictures, but I don't get on with touchscreens so basically the N86 is a big letdown

Old 24-02-2010, 04:08 AM

widehead is on a distinguished road
The N86 8MP is the phone I have been most impressed with since ditching my creaking (literally) and wheezing N95 8GB. The only thing I miss is a larger screen BUT I would sacrifice screen size in order to keep a real keypad any day of the week.

Old 24-02-2010, 01:16 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawbob View Post
The ONLY phone pics I have seen printed at 10 x 8 that impressed me were taken on a Samsung Pixon. Rank rotten phone, nice camera.
I have owned an N95, N95 8gb, and now an N86(not to mention Samsungs and SE). The differences at 100% enlargement on my pc are small(and all look horrible) and would be hard to spot if printed at 5 x 7. The N86 might not have a Xenon flash but it does provide slightly better low light pics without flash than the other 2.
At the end of the day, if all you do is store the pics on your phone and print the occasional one then a decent 3 mp will be just as effective as 12 or 8 or 5 even. Its easy to get a bit anal about cameras and look for any excuse to favour one phone over another , but hey thats why manufacturers tweak algorythms and settings-to make us "upgrade".
Its just a phone with a camera after all!
Interestingly, the back cover of an 8x10 book that I recently printed was an image taken on my N95, and it looks absolutely fantastic.

Without a flash the only things you'll get good pictures of with an N86 are those that don't move. Anything with a person in it, maybe a baby or a young child, will be basically useless. Thats where the N82 comes into its own.

I've given up with phone cameras for the moment. I had some good pics taken with the N85, N95 and N73 when i had them, but only two decent nighttime shots (with the N73). But there is no sign of anything truly decent - ie. a good phone with a good camera built in.

So I've gone the alternate route - picked up a Nokia 5230 for peanuts, and if I want to send a decent picture, I take the picture with my Panasonic, stick the memory card into the phone, send ..... its a little awkward but guarantees considerably better quality pictures than any camera phone can even begin to produce.