All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 22-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Beta 3 now avaialble for Opera Mobile 10 on Symbian

More updates to the Opera Mobile browser (which we looked at in depth here), Beta 3 of the latest version is now available. Opera Mobile is a natively coded web browser (as opposed to the java based Opera Mini), stressing tabbed browsing, optimised rendering for smaller screened devices and faster browsing. Head over to m.opera.com/mobile to download the newest build.

Read on in the full article.

Old 22-02-2010, 10:31 AM

germcevoy is on a distinguished road
Been using this for a few days on my 5800 and its great. Slick, responsive, lite and very stable. Havent used s60 web since installing this. Added benefit too, I cleared S60 web of all data (bookmarks, cache etc) and reclaimed a massive 16mb of dwindling C: disk space. Happy all round.

Old 22-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Unregistered

the speed dial screen does not render small images, the are all blank. :( But browsing does work verry well.

Opera mini and mobile always give me a scrolling bug, when I press 2 or 8 to scroll up or down, the browser always keeps scrolling down. I think this has something to do with the app magic key that runs in the background. Does anyone experience the same thing?

Old 22-02-2010, 11:10 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I have found the beta 3 version to be lesser RAM hungry than the beta 2. Works very very smoothly on my n97 mini.

Old 22-02-2010, 11:14 AM

comnut is on a distinguished road
Unregistered post, 10:58 AM ...
"this forum does not support telepathy"

you have not said what phone you are using, and we cannot contact you... so WTH can we do?????

germcevoy: install it on your memory card - LOTS more space!!

Last edited by comnut; 22-02-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Old 22-02-2010, 11:16 AM

rafiii is on a distinguished road
One of the big advantages of Opera Mobile is that you can copy and paste text from the web or url into other applications since it is a native application
For example to add a podcast, copy the rss address in Opera, paste it in Podacting. Very usefull.
Should be installed on all Nokia by default.

Old 22-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Sockatume

Bear in mind that, as with the other betas, your bookmarks etc. won't be carried forward. So back those up with the Opera syncy thing first.

I notice that it's taken away "Full Screen Edit" from the options on my N79. This means I can't copy URLs, although I can still paste them with "Optionis". Anyone know of a work-around? Am I being dense?
Ads

Old 22-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Zomer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by comnut View Post
Unregistered post, 10:58 AM ...
"this forum does not support telepathy"

you have not said what phone you are using, and we cannot contact you... so WTH can we do?????

germcevoy: install it on your memory card - LOTS more space!!
You can call me Zomer, I own a nokia E71

Old 22-02-2010, 12:07 PM

krizanand is on a distinguished road
good

Better options now for opera qwerty keyboard and they have taken the password manager out and given remember password option, consuming considerably less RAM. one bug i have noticed is after typing the text(without using opera keyboard) 'done' option is invisible at the top it used to be visible in the previous beta version, anyway with that habit i hit the same place and it worked, so its only invisible.

Old 22-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

Beta3!!

I have try this version of opera mobile beta3 about 10 days a go on my n5800, web pages render okay, but then the advertising .gif moving pics was scrolling my web-page self that's really annoying, no flash player, or turns you to mobile version in most cases..?
The 5MB size installing software in my device it's huge and not doing enough for my phone, otherwise the installed software is scattered in menu places in my device, so i had to uninstall and continue the mini Opera instead.
Nice try by opera, but first, the .gif animations shall be disabled by defaults, and only if user want to display them by clicking on them.
Data download is good and economic, but still they have to improve or integrate with nokia flash lite.

Old 22-02-2010, 03:15 PM

germcevoy is on a distinguished road
would love a 120% zoom for my 5800

Old 22-02-2010, 03:55 PM

splus is on a distinguished road
Wow, this is so much better than beta 2!!

Facebook desktop version loads perfectly (Opera beta 2 often rendered only part of a page and often had problems), and even Facebook chat works. Gmail now offers "standard" view besides the "basic HTML view" that loads by default, and it works! Wow, welcome to full desktop browser!
Still can't upload a file in Google Docs, but no other S60 browser can do that...

And it still uses a lot of memory - I opened a Facebook home page, posted a comment or two, and all other applications got closed on my N97 Mini (54mb RAM free on startup, newest firmware that has more free RAM). I tried to open DeviceInfo to see the RAM usage, and that itself was enough for the OS to automatically close Opera. :-(

Still testing, but apart from very high RAM usage it looks absolutely great so far!

Old 22-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Unregistered

5800 and Opera

I want to try the Opera Mobile 10. It appears that Mini Opera 5 that I like, uses a lot of ram. If I accidently leave it on, it crashes the phone sometimes.
Anyone else get that?

Old 23-02-2010, 11:55 AM

Zomer is on a distinguished road
No, but I have quite some ram available on my phone.

Old 23-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

i downloaded beta 3 to my n97 mini and it replaced the beta 2 i had already but it seems to have the same issue i was haveing with beta 2, whenever i try to enter an address or load a goolge search result it just brings up a blank screen with a username and password box in the top left hand corner.... anyone got any ideas whats going on?? thanks for any help!