All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-02-2010, 11:26 PM

olivier.caillou is on a distinguished road
Question How to connect to internet from Nokia through PC?

Hi,

I would like to connect my Nokia N97 to the Internet through my computer Internet connection, using a bluetooth connection. (Please note: connect the phone through the desktop connection, not the other way around which is more usual.)

I read on the developer doc that Symbian supports PAN profile, which might be useful in my case. But, supposing I am able to set up my PC as a PAN node, I can't find how in the Symbian menu to direct the phone to connect to the computer.

Is there a built in way to do this? (Using something else than PAN, maybe DUN or anything, would be ok as well.) Or a software to download?

Any idea would be appreciated.

Old 20-02-2010, 11:40 PM

fadgadget is on a distinguished road
sorry I don't have the answer but i'm curious why you want to ?

Last edited by fadgadget; 20-02-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Old 21-02-2010, 06:14 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Yeah I was trying to figure out why someone might want it this was round, the other is quite common .

Surely if you have the internet on your PC / laptop, it's easier to use it than to rever to a smaller screen and use the phone? But lets say you want to download some largish files onto the phone from OVI store for example and don't have a 3G connection ( or unlimited internet bundle ) or wi fi handy? That's about the only scenario I can think of....
RM-530
E72-1

Old 21-02-2010, 09:01 AM

fatty5000 is on a distinguished road
I really don't think you can.

The phone has 3G and wireless, so why design it to do this function ???

I may well be wrong though

Old 21-02-2010, 02:01 PM

mikerhodes is on a distinguished road
Try this, Skype on mobile using pc as a wifi router
http://www.pc101.com/forum/f88/laptop-wifi-router-5089/
Mike

Old 21-02-2010, 03:27 PM

Thanks for replying.

I want to access the internet from my phone be able to download software updates on my phone, download maps, possibly install new applications, and possibly sync with a SyncML server.

I don't want to use internet access apart from that (i.e. on the road), thus I don't have an internet-enabled low cost provider. Thus if I access the internet using my phone provider that will cost a lot, and I feel that's stupid, considering I'm at home in front of a computer with internet access!

I think I've read somewhere that accessing the internet from the phone is possible using some "roaming" (?) mode on the PC Suite. But I prefer to use linux and thus would like to avoid Nokia PC Suite. What's great with bluetooth is that it is platform-agnostic. (And I value wireless solutions.)

My computer is a desktop one and thus no wi-fi access, although bying a wifi card is definitely a solution I will consider if nothing else work.

But I'm feel there must be a way to access a gateway using bluetooth (Nokia doc says bluetooth pan profile is supported on their OS), only we have to find a small application that does that. I can't think this does not exist, every recent windows mobile provides this (built-in), and even older ones had that capability using a bluetooth DUN profile.

As my question is closely related to bluetooth, maybe it would be best to ask this on a bluetooth expert forum (if only such a thing exists)? Any advice?

Old 21-02-2010, 07:46 PM

fadgadget is on a distinguished road
you can do all that by using http://www.comms.ovi.com/m/p/ovi/sui...=en&country=GB and connect the phone using the data cable.

I used this to upload uk maps and voice nav with street names.

click view then go to maps.

as for downloading applications I dont think you can download from ovi store to your computer, but if you see a program you like just google it and I'm sure you will find a download link.

Old 22-02-2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks again for the reply. But I don't think this application is available under linux. My main concern is being able to use my nokia (sync, etc.) without having to go back to Windows...
Ads