All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 16-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Unregistered

iPhone & Android phones are upgradeable

Story 1:
I buy a first-gen iPhone three years ago. The OS is astonishing.
Apple keeps on improving their OS with new versions every so often
I keep updating my iPhone, and every year it gets better.

Story 2:
I buy a Nokia 5800. The software is mediocre.
Nokia brings out new models also based on S60V5 with new goodies and less bugs (?)
My 5800 gets left behind, forever mediocre, and I have to buy a new phone.

Is this a compelling story for customers? Is this very environmentally sound?

Nice try, Nokia, but I'll go with Android, which has the updates and lacks the shepherding.

Old 16-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Story 1:
Addendum to Story 1:
I am stuck with a phone with no 3G, no GPS, a very poor 2MP camera and unable to benefit from the new iPhone OS features such as video editing.

Story 2:
I get a new phone for one third the cost of the iPhone and it has the latest features.

Old 16-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
no, you cant just dial that when you are out and about with a bag of groceries in one hand and phone in the other. you arent going to remember every letter in every situation. your argument is completely weak.
Not weak. If the rest of the world can cope, it's not my argument that is weak. How does having a bag of groceries in one hand stop you from dialing by number or by alpha? It's the same keypad, same hand. How does holding a bag of groceries affect my memory?

Quote:
how about when the phone system asks to enter "GDEJ54K" for your ticket number? you are actually advocating that rather than just put the letters on the number pad, to purposely leave the letter off because you like to memorize them. are you seriously suggesting that? get over yourself, every phone since the beginning of time has had letters on the numberpad. that's the way it is.
Are you sure that every phones since the beginning of time has had letters? And that those letters belong to the English alphabet.

And that ticket number system constrains the system to the numbers on the keypad. There is no difference between "GDEJ54K" and "HFDL54J", and there isn't even a mnemonic. So why not just use numbers? It's an overengineered system.

Quote:
just because the rest of the world doesnt use naming schemes doesnt mean that the places that DO use it should be without it.
I don't suggest that any places should be without it.

Quote:
your argument has a lot of bias of "dumb americans". yet here i am with a bachelor's degree in engineering making a case for why it is necessary just FYI.
I'm delighted for you that you have achieved the minimum standard of education for the 21st century, but I am a bit disappointed that people are losing their ability to think.

The human race developed cognisant reasoning over millions of years of evolution, and now this is being lost in a sea of spoon-feeding and convenience. We fail to exercise our minds, then like our bodies it would turn into a lardy blob.

When you get into your car to drive home after your days work you will look in your mirror and be told (again) that: "Objects in this mirror are closer than they appear"..... Well DUH! Did you really need to know that? Another thing that's not needed in other countries.

Use 1-800-FLOWERS. You have access to one florist who paid their telco for that number, they won't have to try too hard and you will pay extra so that they can pay for their premium number. It's a very poor system for the consumer.
Ads

Old 16-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Story 1:

Story 2:
I buy a Nokia 5800. The software is mediocre.
Nokia brings out new models also based on S60V5 with new goodies and less bugs (?)
My 5800 gets left behind, forever mediocre, and I have to buy a new phone.

Is this a compelling story for customers? Is this very environmentally sound?

Nice try, Nokia, but I'll go with Android, which has the updates and lacks the shepherding.
What rubbish! iPhone has continually been outrageously priced (3 or 4 times a more capable Nokia). The OS is astonishing? Astonishingly underpowered for what you get. Can't multitask, has always lacked features. iPhone has continually been well behind the curve in both hardware and software features. Apple make you buy a whole new phone if you want an upgrade.

The 5800 on the other hand has been vastly successful, is vastly cheaper than iPhone, and as for upgrades, did you not see the firmware upgrade to v40 recently?

Android is on a road to nowhere, but be my guest. Oh, and I should point out Nokia smartphone market share grew 5% last quarter (which is huge growth) whereas Apple remained static which is highly worrying for them as that quarter is their main growth quarter, and they will now not grow until the next iPhone release in the summer. iPhone has peaked, Android is walking dead.

The future lies with Symbian.

Old 16-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Unregistered

We all go to MeeGo

Quote:
Why WOULD anyone buy an iPhone when a Nokia (running Symbian ^3) will give you something SO much better SO much cheaper?
Because ^3 isn't better, it isn't even much better than ^1. No new UI paradigm for Symbian is very disappointing.

Quote:
And as for Android, I think Nokia's recent efforts and Symbian ^3, and the implications of MeeGo (just announced, see later stories on the site) kill Android stone dead on every front...
MeeGo is Nokia's high end, the news makes me devote even less of my resources to Symbian.

Old 16-02-2010, 05:28 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not weak. If the rest of the world can cope, it's not my argument that is weak. How does having a bag of groceries in one hand stop you from dialing by number or by alpha? It's the same keypad, same hand. How does holding a bag of groceries affect my memory?

Are you sure that every phones since the beginning of time has had letters? And that those letters belong to the English alphabet.

And that ticket number system constrains the system to the numbers on the keypad. There is no difference between "GDEJ54K" and "HFDL54J", and there isn't even a mnemonic. So why not just use numbers? It's an overengineered system.

I don't suggest that any places should be without it.

I'm delighted for you that you have achieved the minimum standard of education for the 21st century, but I am a bit disappointed that people are losing their ability to think.

The human race developed cognisant reasoning over millions of years of evolution, and now this is being lost in a sea of spoon-feeding and convenience. We fail to exercise our minds, then like our bodies it would turn into a lardy blob.

When you get into your car to drive home after your days work you will look in your mirror and be told (again) that: "Objects in this mirror are closer than they appear"..... Well DUH! Did you really need to know that? Another thing that's not needed in other countries.

Use 1-800-FLOWERS. You have access to one florist who paid their telco for that number, they won't have to try too hard and you will pay extra so that they can pay for their premium number. It's a very poor system for the consumer.
that's noble and all that the world needs to become more intelligent, but in the mean time the letters should be on the number pad. by your logic, my laptop keyboard should not have any letters on it. i mean why does it? everyone has them memorized. and i would bet 1000 dollars that more people have the standard qwerty keyboard memorized over a alphanumeric dial pad letters. but you see, not having the letters labeled would be just as stupid as not having letters on the dialp...oh wait, nevermind i give in!

Old 16-02-2010, 08:17 PM

ebo is on a distinguished road
Nokia's UI video is promising, but look at those screenshots on Symbian.org: http://www.symbian.org/symbian-featu...eases/symbian3

What on earth are those? They look like Symbian screenshots from 2002. If I was Steve Ballmer or Steve Jobs, I'd immediately take those images and use them to show how their competition lags behind.

Couldn't they really produce better screeenshots for PR purposes?!

Old 30-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Unregistered

iPhone hoopla versus real world

Anybody remember Razor and how cool it was to own one and how everybody wanted one and almost everybody finally bought one?
Anybody knows where all these Razor phones are now? Most of them in the dump...
I personally think iPhone and iPad are a big fad and when people will really start to use them as opposed to drool over them and show off then they will come to a realization that it is not all that perfect as anybody says and charging it every 2 hours does not help either.
Oh, another thing, they will have to buy a new iPhone soon as they cannot change the battery and the grand design behind this is ... yes you guessed it, force people to buy more iPhones. What a scheme...

Old 18-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Unregistered

upgrade current symbian phone to symbian 3

will i be able to upgrade my nokia e72 running symbian 9.3 to symbian^3

or is it just for touch phones like n97 etc.

Old 21-06-2010, 07:02 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
will i be able to upgrade my nokia e72 running symbian 9.3 to symbian^3

or is it just for touch phones like n97 etc.
It is quite likely that not even the N97 or any other S60 5th Edition will be upgradeable to Symbian^3. In other words, if you want Symbian^3, you'll need to buy a new Symbian^3 phone model. (The only one announced so far, but not yet available, is the Nokia N8.)