All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 15-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Unregistered

"Kinetic scrolling should be available even in the pop up menu - 0:11 seconds. Then I don't mind it at all. "

Why is it they put kinetic scrolling on all menus in the n97/mini except for these types.

Old 15-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Unregistered

I've just seen the Windows Mobile 7 equivalent of this video. Offers nothing much new, some swinging-door type page transitions, which as eye candy, are going to wear pretty thin pretty quick.

Not impressed. Somebody has an opportunity here to grab the prize. Innovate. Nothing has spectacular has happened since mid 2007.
Ads

Old 15-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Kinetic scrolling should be available even in the pop up menu - 0:11 seconds. Then I don't mind it at all.
Kinetic scrolling is available in the pop up menus even on the current phones like the 5800 - but only where there are more items in the menu list than can be displayed in the pop up window size. Otherwise (as is the case) you get pointlessly bouncing menus that move when you touch them.

In the video it appears that the popup windows scales to accommodate the list, which is a better idea than scrolling of any kind because it requires less touches to reach your menu option. Good design will allow the number of items in the menu list to be kept to a minimum so as to stay inside the pop up. The popup obscuring the main screen might be a problem is a few circumstances, but as the user focus is on the list choice it should mostly be OK.

I like the current Symbian feature of a three bar menu button bringing up a transparent screenful of finger sized item choices though. People do seem to have an aversion to menu lists because it reminds them of old desktop UIs. Still a perfectly practical way of doing things though.

Old 15-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Serious60

It's a design preview

Wait until you see it running on a phone. I don't mind the iPhone UI rip off so much but it had better run as smooth at that or forget about it.

Old 15-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious60 View Post
Wait until you see it running on a phone. I don't mind the iPhone UI rip off so much but it had better run as smooth at that or forget about it.
With hardware graphics accelerator I see no reason for it to not run smoothly. Or at least as smoothly as an iPhone or Android device - both have their little jerky laggy moments - especially Android.

Old 15-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkat View Post
I really don't want to be a naysayer here, I really hope that Symbian ^3 is a resounding success. but....

I do remember that the N97 looked this good in it's promo video, and just as fast, the reality was something completely different.
I don't really see the relevance of the N97 promo video. The video here is not a promo for a phone, it's a promo for the OS and UI only. The N97 appeared without HW graphics accelerator, so the manufacturer let the OS down.

This promo mentions support for HW accelerated graphics, so it is up to the handset manufacturers to provide the host hardware to fulfil the capabilities of the OS as demonostrated.

Old 15-02-2010, 06:38 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, this looks like a great UI, and I was for two seconds thinking about buying a ^3 phone, then I remembered my Nokia N97 mini's faults, to name a few:

1) Too little ram (ok, not software); sometimes more is more.
2) Slow processor (Ok, not software); sometimes more is more.
3) Burns my battery when left on standby (fully charged) overnight, so my alarm won't go off - all this with no apps running and FB widget switched off.
4) Its a phone, well, it would be but:

4.1 No alphanumeric pad when calling, say your bank/phone operator, so inputting the number that represents a character is not as easy as it should be.
4.2 Phone can crash when receiving a text standard message.
4.3 Phone gets into a loop when entering a character in T9.
4.4 No search directly in Calendar; no multiple calendars, or todos (I had these in my P900)
4.5 How many clicks to make a call from speed dial - too many.
4.6 Too many notifications
4.7 One click, or two clicks to start your application, sir. One, well you need ^3, then.

So, I think I'll wait awhile before I can trust Nokia/Symbian to deliver a phone that works, as phone, never mind a smart one.

Regards

LZ64

Shame, and I've been a fan of Symbian (Psion) since my LZ64; the agenda and other software on my Psion Mx5 is far more flexible and stable than the ^2.

my n97 mini has alphanumeric pad when calling. it shows the letters on the standard number pad. not sure why yours is missing.

Old 15-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

candied time

It all depends on the hardware that it is running on. The UI would fly like the demo if it is a 1.2G dual core with OpenGL ES assist. With all those threads running it better has more memory that the existing hardware and some decent swap space to run stuff in the background, mameo is really good with that. If Nokia intends to release something that just "good enough"...then it would be like N97 all over again. Wait...N97 hardware was under-spec on first customer ship...

Don't forget since the software layer is new, they better improve on the software QA. No one needs Rescue Package V20 again. V20 type stability needs to be in the box when I opened the retail package. Thank you!

It's is not just about the new "hotness", it's "why doesn't $hit work the way they advertise?"

The sad part is I probably go out and buy it...on the day it ships!

Old 15-02-2010, 07:04 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
my n97 mini has alphanumeric pad when calling. it shows the letters on the standard number pad. not sure why yours is missing.
NAM version?

BTW official Skype client for 5th edition is available.

Last edited by krisq; 15-02-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Old 15-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
I think the rest of the world outside the USA is mystified as to why people would need an alpha mnemonic to remember a simple short string of numbers. Or even if you needed to use the alpha, how simple it is to figure out which numbers would contain the appropriate triplet after years of T9ing. How stupid do you need to be? I had assumed those triplets were only needed for DDA.

Old 15-02-2010, 09:43 PM

the letters are needed because phone systems all over the place use LETTERS. when i get a speed ticket, i am required to enter the citation number into the phone using my "touchtone keypad", and that citation number is something like "XJ7Q44K". now if the rest of the world wants to pretend they are so smart that they have the letters memorized. great. but the letters need to be there for the general public. countless things in the world are obvious, but they still are included anyway. why label a boys and girls bathroom? we all know the man vs the woman symbol on the door, so why put the word there too? are we too stupid to memorize the symbol? same principle.

i order flowers on valentine's day, i have to dial 1-800-FLOWERS. why would the phone NOT have the letters on the dialpad? its needed in countless situations.

Old 15-02-2010, 09:50 PM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
"Is it just me or does this fundamentally look like a small polish to the current 5th edition? I mean, the "complicated" menu structure is still there, just with cool and shiny transitions and HW acceleration. The UI looks a bit laggy even on this promo video and all in all it just doesn't seem like a huge leap forward to me.

Not that this wouldn't be progress. It's still just fuglier than the rest."

yeah, it's just you. Single touch across the board is a FUNDAMENTAL change to the icky way it's implemented in 5th edition, something that should have been dealt with in the initial jump from 3rd to 5th. Reading about the changes under the hood as well, ie multitasking core changes, that sort of thing isn't just polish. UI looks laggy? geez, I didn't see that. This looks genuinely exciting.

Old 15-02-2010, 10:20 PM
afrabre

Thumbs up cool!

i like the concept. its clean, neat and simple. Multi-tasking is great, webOS style. Homescreen is very productive with those widgets, plus its got 3 homescreens, thats awesome you can pretty much tie up all apps you use in those homescreens and you will never need to even go into the menu.

Now what we need is some nice hardware that will actually go with it, not like those bricks Nokia throws at us (5800, N97, N900 anyone?) I recently saw a picture of the supposedly upcoming N98 in green, I will admit I was DROOLING all over that hardware design!!! Gimme that with Sym3 goodies and i'm all set!

Old 15-02-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Why the f*** can't you dial 1-800-3569377 ?

It's not needed, because all over the world people manage perfectly well without that system, that particularly American system based on the number of characters in the English alphabet.

Because if you use the mnemonic you are suckered to the company that had the cash to pay the carrier for that number. Personally I would look around and find value and service quality, and they can't all be 1-800-DUMBASSHIT

Yes, I know phone numbers use 7 digits....... or should that be P or Q or R or S digits.....
no, you cant just dial that when you are out and about with a bag of groceries in one hand and phone in the other. you arent going to remember every letter in every situation. your argument is completely weak.

how about when the phone system asks to enter "GDEJ54K" for your ticket number? you are actually advocating that rather than just put the letters on the number pad, to purposely leave the letter off because you like to memorize them. are you seriously suggesting that? get over yourself, every phone since the beginning of time has had letters on the numberpad. that's the way it is.

just because the rest of the world doesnt use naming schemes doesnt mean that the places that DO use it should be without it.

your argument has a lot of bias of "dumb americans". yet here i am with a bachelor's degree in engineering making a case for why it is necessary just FYI.

Old 16-02-2010, 12:29 AM

FaizDaDon is on a distinguished road
Doesnt really look that 'spectacular' TBH. Like someone said before, this reminds me of the intital N97 ads... where everything looked super smooth, but in reality it wasnt. I wonder if this will be the same?