All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 15-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Symbian^3 Design Preview looks spectacular

Courtesy of the video-friendly chaps at Nokia Conversations (YouTube channel), we now have an impressive video 'design preview' of Symbian^3 in action. Remember, this is the OS and user interface that will be included in Symbian-powered smartphones in the second half of 2010. Highlights from the video, embedded at high resolution below, are multiple homescreens, 3D 'Coverflow' for music albums, 'single tap' direct manipulation UI everywhere, multitouch (pinching, splaying, to zoom) and live visual multitasking (Web OS/Maemo 5-style). It's quite a visual feast, so look below and enjoy.

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-02-2010, 09:00 AM

anphase is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Multi-touch, nice!

Nice to see stuff like multi-touch on Symbian. It really does look spectacular and it will be even more interesting to see the devices powered by Symbian^3.

Old 15-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Unregistered

Symbian^3 on which devices

Will Symbian^3 be ported on existing devices like 5800, N97 or it will be only available in new upcoming devices

Old 15-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Unregistered

Talking n97

i just hope this gets put across onto the n97
Ads

Old 15-02-2010, 09:49 AM

Exclamation

I don't believe S^3 will be ported to 5800 or N97. There is no logic Nokia do that. If you want S^3 then you should get a new device covered with. It's simple story and history of devices shows us this simple future. One of reasons to buy a new device is how it is looks but major reason is software behind and this will be key for Nokia to sells new devices. I love my 5800 XM (1 year perfect work to me) but I want S^3. If I can't get it on like software update for my 5800 then probably I'll consider to buy new device.

Old 15-02-2010, 09:51 AM

Arcade is on a distinguished road
Isnt multitouch exclusive to apple due to some copyright thing ?

Old 15-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

"The Qt toolkit is pre-integrated into all kits and the runtime in Symbian^3 will run on existing devices back to S60 3.1"

so actually i figure it will run on them, maybe not as efficiently but still!!!

Old 15-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Unregistered

Is there gonna be any development at all for non-Touch screen phones or is touch gonna be the only symbian from now on ?

Old 15-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Unregistered

"Isnt multitouch exclusive to apple due to some copyright thing ?"

Im guessing no as both Palm's WebOS and Android have multitouch.

Old 15-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5800 View Post
I don't believe S^3 will be ported to 5800 or N97. There is no logic Nokia do that. If you want S^3 then you should get a new device covered with. It's simple story and history of devices shows us this simple future. One of reasons to buy a new device is how it is looks but major reason is software behind and this will be key for Nokia to sells new devices. I love my 5800 XM (1 year perfect work to me) but I want S^3. If I can't get it on like software update for my 5800 then probably I'll consider to buy new device.
I agree. On top of that 5800 and N97 are probably too slow for S^3 - slow processor and no hardware graphics acceleration.

Old 15-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Unregistered

Looking at the bullet point list there, and watching the video, S^3 probably needs HW acceleration so I doubt you'll see it on N97 or any other current Nokia S60v5 phones. Any symbian phones using Omap 3, such as the SEMC and Samsung ones, could in theory support it given that TI's beagleboard and ZoomII are reference boards for S^3. I guess it's up to those manufacturers to decide what they're going to do though. At least the potential is there, but I don't know anything about the other HW on those phones and if it has suitable drivers for S^3. However it's done though, it will be a decent amount of effort and we all know how little time Samsung in particular like to spend on supporting phones they already sold. Personally, I would not be holding my breath..

At least application developers can safely move over to Qt app development though, with the knowledge that they can still sell apps to the whole set of Symbian devices, right from S60v3 FP1 up to S^3. Possibly even with one codebase too, which is much better than the current situation. Nokia needs to start making a big noise about that on Forum Nokia as soon as possible, including some examples of functional apps which work on all those platforms.

Old 15-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Unregistered

According to wikipedia, there were 63 devices running S60v3 FP1, FP2 and S60v5. That's probably a fairly large proportion of *all* symbian devices still in use, potentially able to run an application written once. I think that's an underestimate, I'm sure I've seen some numbers somewhere saying there were over 30 S60v5 devices around and wikipedia only list a half-dozen or so.

That sounds like pretty good news for developers to me.

Old 15-02-2010, 10:48 AM

rafiii is on a distinguished road
Very good stuff for the OS of transition. Can't wait for the N87

Old 15-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Unregistered

"Isnt multitouch exclusive to apple due to some copyright thing ?"

Apple do have a multi-touch patent, but only in the US, and possibly unenforceable due to the vague nature of what's protected (ie. "it would be nice to have multi-touch"); here's an excerpt:

A computer-implemented method for use in conjunction with a computing device with a touch screen display comprises: detecting one or more finger contacts with the touch screen display, applying one or more heuristics to the one or more finger contacts to determine a command for the device, and processing the command. The one or more heuristics comprise: a heuristic for determining that the one or more finger contacts correspond to a one-dimensional vertical screen scrolling command, a heuristic for determining that the one or more finger contacts correspond to a two-dimensional screen translation command, and a heuristic for determining that the one or more finger contacts correspond to a command to transition from displaying a respective item in a set of items to displaying a next item in the set of items.

As you can see, they don't only contain references to multi-touch but to the interpretation of single-touch gestures, which have been around since the original Palm and Psion devices.

Unfortunately, there is a long history of piss-poor patents being granted in the US, which are generic in nature, contain no real technical features but do make life hard for the competition.

However, if Apple do have patents on the actual technology behind multi-touch, no doubt Nokia and others will find a way to circumvent this....

Old 15-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Unregistered

looks like... 5th edition to me?

Is it just me or does this fundamentally look like a small polish to the current 5th edition? I mean, the "complicated" menu structure is still there, just with cool and shiny transitions and HW acceleration. The UI looks a bit laggy even on this promo video and all in all it just doesn't seem like a huge leap forward to me.

Not that this wouldn't be progress. It's still just fuglier than the rest.