All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-03-2003, 09:54 PM

MemphisX is on a distinguished road
Any news on frodo,comodore 64 emulator?

More than two months have passed since the announcement that the comodore 64 emulator named frodo will be ported to nokia 7650, and also that there was an alpha version given to some reviewers. Are there any news on this? It has passed some time now, but it is so quiet... I still hope they didn't abandoned the project!

Old 18-03-2003, 10:09 PM

evobit is on a distinguished road
Wasn't it an amstrad emulator? :?

Old 19-03-2003, 09:08 AM

they havent stopped

developer(s) are in a kinda hurry situation now and i know the FRODO is being implemented to 7650 because i have 1 alpha version (review it) in my 7650. So expect to see it in this summer on your phones. Just wait till i get the review done ill inform it here where it can be readed and watched.
stay t00ned, cause FRODO kicks major ass.
*playing DELTA*

Old 19-03-2003, 09:50 AM

Nemis is on a distinguished road
why there isn't alpha version or source code out ?

Old 19-03-2003, 10:45 AM

Magic Marker is on a distinguished road
Why would they want to distribute a buggy alpha version? Usually not even the Betas of programs are fully public. :-?

** Magic **
Ads

Old 19-03-2003, 07:37 PM

naivri is on a distinguished road
summer?

(

*sob*

however, you guys are doing this for free (i hope) and I cannot wait for this.

definitely the most anticipated app for 7650

i love u guys D

Old 19-03-2003, 08:49 PM

Ok some information. Frodo is a freeware multiplatform open source commodore64 emulator. The 7650 version is based on the 9210 version. In the begining of this year it was announced by two sites (my-symbian and my7650.Emuforce.Net) that they have tested an alpha version of it and that it was working flawlessly on about 20 games that were tested. But summer is a little bit far if we think that the program was in a good development stage then, more than two months ago. But on the other side maybe the developers want their program to be perfect and complete. I was just loosing hope...

Old 20-03-2003, 09:52 AM

Nemis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Marker
Why would they want to distribute a buggy alpha version? Usually not even the Betas of programs are fully public. :-?

** Magic **
more people use alpha version --> more bug will be found --> more people can do improvement on source code.

like linux os

Old 20-03-2003, 12:42 PM

Magic Marker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Marker

** Magic **
more people use alpha version --> more bug will be found --> more people can do improvement on source code.

like linux os
That explains it; I didn't know it was meant to be open source project.

** Magic **

Old 21-03-2003, 11:37 AM

mrcommodore64 is on a distinguished road
some teasers

frodo running in 7650!

Old 21-03-2003, 11:39 AM

mrcommodore64 is on a distinguished road
and two more

running bubble bobble (tm) and delta (tm)

Old 21-03-2003, 11:44 AM

Just make a search on my-symbian.Com if you don't believe it. "My7650" site(last time i was online the site was down, i don't know now) had also some screenshots then...

Old 21-03-2003, 11:45 AM

[D]J is on a distinguished road
Hi,

The problem with Frodo for the 7650 is not to find bugs... the programmer knows very well what bugs need to be fixed, he just has ZERO time to work them out :(

I'm the webmaster of the now dead my7650.emuforce.net who tested the first alpha of Frodo and posted pics on the site. I'm a tester of Frodo and I've received some weeks ago another alpha version of the emulator.

The emulator improved a lot since the first alpha and now is in a good state but that doesn't mean that it is in a "releasable state". Frodo now has a GUI, a key input dialog to write your BASIC text, can load .d64 roms but has still some nasty bugs here and there which prevent it from being released (for example, sound goes off and on if you try to raise or low the volume or even change the frameskip. Another bug is with the menu... when you open the menu while playing, the emulator becomes TERRIBLY SLOW... weird stuff).

Anyways, I informed the programmer about all the bugs that I found in the last beta and so now he knows about them. The problem is that he has almost ZERO time to work on Frodo and he works on it only in the weekends (and not every weekend) and only for about an hour or so :( He's a very very busy man and he doesn't have time to work on Frodo as he would like, otherwise the emulator would have been released already since a lot of time. Frodo in fact now just needs a bit of debugging, like a few days of work. But until the programmer can find some free time to work on it the emulator is on hold.

I think that Frodo could be released now sometime in April but don't take that like a sure thing! It's just my opinion and I say that because I know that during holidays the programmer has a lot more time to work on it (in fact he made most of the work of the first alpha version during Xmas holidays). Now Easter is coming so I expect it to be completed in a few weeks.

Old 21-03-2003, 05:03 PM

Thanks dj for the info. As i said i was just loosing hope...

Old 09-05-2003, 06:58 AM

[D]J is on a distinguished road
Hi, just received news from the author of Frodo for Series60 that he's probably going to release the emulator..... TODAY! Good news for all the ones who waited all these months for the release and sent thousands of email in my mailbox asking for news, hehehe :P