All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-02-2010, 01:28 PM

dan_md is on a distinguished road
The pressure...

As I am currently using the 5800, moving to either N97 or N97 mini is an update.

Between the two, I would likely go for the N97 mini. The smaller size and the heftier device memory are both plus points for a techie like me. The reduced memory can be easily compensated by a microSD card and the FM radio is not much of a loss as I don't carry my headset that often.

Since I carry 3-4 handhelds/phones most of the time, the smaller size is a must.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
No, no, no, why do people keep getting confused between an FM radio and an FM transmitter? TOTALLY different thing. Gah.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:46 PM

widehead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_md View Post
As I am currently using the 5800, moving to either N97 or N97 mini is an update.
An update in the most minor way possible. Trust me, you'll regret it. The widgets are pointless system hogs and with the latest updates the 5800 is closer than ever to its N series brothers.

I love Nokia. I've dabbled with other manufacturers but Nokia are streets ahead - except with the N97. It's absolutely dreadful in every way.

For touch UI the iPhone is by far and away a superior device. The lack of a qwerty is irrelevant as it's actually faster to use the touchscreen. Not so with Nokia. The 5th edition UI is, at best, a shoddy compromise and at it's worst is an unusable mess.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by widehead View Post
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.
SPEAK FOR YOUR SELFISH SELF.

The iPhone is too large, the touch screen won't work with gloves. The screen is too vulnerable to damage, the cases crack and split at the back near the USB connector too easily. Lovely interface, I have one nut don't carry it.

The N97 mini is the only phone that does the job for me. Unless you can name a more suitable one. I doubt you can because I've tried very hard.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 PM

germcevoy is on a distinguished road
I owned and sold a 5800 for no apparent reason. Tried android and now want another Nokia as a second device. Wanting to stay touchscreen for video purposes. Never considered N97c but have looked at the mini. My girlfriend picked one up on contract and its fairly nice. Now I'm looking to buy sim free from eBay and cannot for the life of me justify the 150 quid premium of the Mini over another 5800. What's it get me? 1.8 megapixels and an average and painful keyboard. Good hunting on eBay gets a new 5800 for 120 pounds. Only one winner. Just pissed I sold mine in the first place.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:56 PM

widehead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
SPEAK FOR YOUR SELFISH SELF.
I don't see how giving advice is selfish. Far from it. I wouldn't want anyone else to be lumbered with such a hopeless device as the N97mini.

Get an N86 8MP! If the screen is too small or you must have touch (for God's sake WHY?!) get an iPhone. Waffle about a "delicate screen" or it being "too big" is nothing but empty hand-waving.

For the hard-of-thinking: the N97 mini is a disaster. Touch on the Nokia is dreadful. it is time consuming, counter productive, counter intuitive, pointless, bolted-on (badly) and totally unnecessary. Some brainless morons will tell you "there is no place for a non-touch device in 2010" or some other such idiocy. Touch is, in its current guise, nothing more than a fad. It's come and gone before. It'll need to change drastically if it's to stay this time.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I don't see how giving advice is selfish. Far from it. I wouldn't want anyone else to be lumbered with such a hopeless device as the N97mini.

Get an N86 8MP! If the screen is too small or you must have touch (for God's sake WHY?!) get an iPhone. Waffle about a "delicate screen" or it being "too big" is nothing but empty hand-waving.

For the hard-of-thinking: the N97 mini is a disaster. Touch on the Nokia is dreadful. it is time consuming, counter productive, counter intuitive, pointless, bolted-on (badly) and totally unnecessary. Some brainless morons will tell you "there is no place for a non-touch device in 2010" or some other such idiocy. Touch is, in its current guise, nothing more than a fad. It's come and gone before. It'll need to change drastically if it's to stay this time.
Crap.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Jimmy1

From a former Nokia owner (a 6650 flip) and a current Motorola Droid user: the N97 is an awful phone; the mini is just 'okay' but not much better. They both hang a lot, are very slow, and the touchscreen response is middling, while S60v5 is just a mess.

I travel overseas to Europe from New York to visit family, so I've taken both of the N97 versions for a test drive.

Honestly, Nokia should be embarrassed for releasing such half-assed efforts onto the public, and this is coming from someone who thought that the E71 was one of the best phones Nokia ever released. Of course they went ahead and botched that up with the absolutely terrible E72, but that's another discussion...

The N86 is actually a pretty good phone, but my poor thumb joint ached at the thought of going back to T9 buttons only. If the N86 had a Palm Pre style portrait slide out qwerty, it would have been the bees knees.

I hope Nokia isn't hitching its hopes onto S60 for much longer. Yes, Nokia makes great throw-away dumbphones for second and third world countries, but currently, they can't make a good smartphone it seems.

And from their unwavering use of low powered ARM processors and 128 MB RAM chips in their phones, one would think that they bought warehouses full of those things back in 2002, and are absolutely determined to use every last one of them. That's the only explanation I can come up with for sticking them in every single phone Nokia releases.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:13 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:

stop being so overdramatic. the mini is just fine.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Unregistered

probably best to just wait

owning an n95-3 before my n97 NAM, i came to the conclusion to just wait it out if u own one of the great N95s (basically any none n95-1). Otherwise, buy any other cortez a8 phone or any of the e-series, because they all come with enough ram and storage to handle any task and still retain stability. Something is seriously wrong with s60v5 on the n97, ram leaks and all.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Unregistered

Can't say I remember the last time my N97 classic crashed tbh, yes the phone was a pretty big let down after the astronomical hype it received but eh, with V20+ firmware it's a perfectly dependable and hugely capable bit of kit, Just without the glamour of the iPhone/Android crowd. Mind you, if I was to start my contract again now, my money would go on an N900 instead.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation On my 3rd N97c and counting...

Phone 1:
-Camera lense scratched by cover
-GPS antenna and compass was useless
-Memory card wedged into slot and immovable
-Less stable than bambi on jelly rollerskates

1 week without a phone

Phone 2:
-All of the problems listed above
-Screen mounted off centre creating an annoying strip of light along the bottom of the screen.

2 months without a phone

Phone 3:
-Still very unstable even with v2 firmware
-Annoying light mark in the middle of the screen.
-Annoying dark area on edge of the screen.
-Upgraded GPS antenna is unusable when phone is being charged (with official nokia car charger)
-After 6 weeks with the phone it froze and failed to boot up, even after reinserting the battery.

2 weeks without a phone while it is "repaired" by Nokia care point

-Phone is returned to me with all of the same screen and GPS issues. I cannot have a refund because there is no refunds department. See you at the small claims court Nokia.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

I would have to say neither of the 2 phones. Time have passed and a 434mhz ARM11 cpu is just not acceptable anymore.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Unregistered

FM Transmitter

... Irrelevant with many newer car models being equipped with bluetooth capabilities. I drive an 09 Ford and I can connect my Mini to the car via bluetooth, auxiliary cord, or USB.
Ads

Old 09-02-2010, 04:50 AM

dlff is on a distinguished road
N97 mini

I have a N97 Mini bought on 4th Dec. '09. Is still not updated to the latest software v.11
I have this issue with Contact. When I am in Contact & tried to open an existing name in the contact. Is just not responding. To overcome this problem I have to switch off the phone, remove the batt, reinsert it & swich it on again.

I have a Satio too & it has been upgraded to the latest software. I find that now the phone is more stable & is even better than the N97 Mini.