All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Nokia N97 Story: Choosing Classic or Mini?

With the release of the new (v21 or v11, depending on the device) firmware for the Nokia N97 and N97 mini, both smartphones suddenly got distinctly more appealing, running more applications at once and with their software finally becoming 'fit for purpose'. So you like the unique, patented, hybrid form factor? So do I. But the big question is: which one should you buy? In this feature I look at every single difference between the two phones, commenting where needed and.... I try to pick an overall winner.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 AM

j d is on a distinguished road
I think I'm going to be firmly in the "can't live without an fm transmitter" camp from now on.

I think the most impressive use case for this is when you are playing not only music, but also voice guided GPS instructions over the car stereo. Awesome.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Unregistered

Easy for me. Those few mm make an enormous difference to the carry comfort. I cannot deal with huge lump phones, so it has to be the mini.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Unregistered

If you are on a budget then the classic is by far the cheaper purchase as a used device from Ebay. Perhaps this pure market force fact alone says enough?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 AM
yitwave

N97 vs Mini

As an owner of both the N97 and N97 mini, I must say the Mini's stability is significantly better than the N97, so i would recommend the mini to anyone who is NOT a tech head.

Having more C: (avoiding the mess when this goes low and the annoying practise in monitoring C: or clearing cache) eases a lot of headaches for new users of the Symbian platform. This problem will only truly be cleared up if users can install Nokia apps on E:\ particilarly OVI Messaging & Maps.

If the above is fixed, then the playing ground is much closer for the 2.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:18 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I have used both the phones as well, and i definitely love the mini more. The sleekness is better that the classic, and it is much more stable and better to use.
I do not face any serious GPS issues, though I have to admit that if I am in a building and there are atleast 2 / 3 storeys above me, the GPS rarely gets a signal. I am not sure if this is normal or an example of the poor GPS quality that Steve mentioned in this article.

I also love the colours that the mini is available in - definitely sexier than the white or blank available in the classic (IMO). I am not a fan of the transmitter (though I do feel at times that I could have it ) and the built in 8 GB plus a memory card suits me just fine...

I just fail to understand why does the mini boot up with lesser RAM as compared to the classic when essentially they are the same phone - software wise...

Old 08-02-2010, 09:19 AM

widehead is on a distinguished road
Neither win. They are both dreadful phones. If you must have a touch UI (perhaps you have recently had a knock to the head or maybe you're just stupid) it's a no brainer - the iPhone is for you (if you must have touch, clearly you don't know your arse from your elbow).
Buy an N86 8MP. Gorgeous screen, great camera and none of that annoying, pointless, time-sapping touch UI nonsense.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 AM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
If you must have a touch screen Nokia the winner is ..........the Nokia 5800, 95% of the features and very few of the problems of the N97 Classic/Mini at less than half of the price.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Unregistered

Don't buy N97/mini. The processor is too slow - when you play mp3 in the background you can feel the phone working slower, Mobbler in the background causes kinetic scrolling slowdowns etc. On top of that all the memory problems. If you want Symbian, buy 5800, it has exactly the same insides (except camera) and may possibly be worth the much lower price.

Or wait for new phones with Symbian^3 or wait even longer for Symbian^4

Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
bluejacker

As an old E-Series Qwerty user (E61, E61i, E71) the N97 Mini is the first N-Series which is really tempting for me in terms of build quality. Although I am a power user, I don't want to have to fiddle around with the C drive of a phone for which I just spent 350+ especially when it has 32GB of storage anyway. Sorry Nokia but that is just plain stupid and how should I explain that to normal users?

BTW Steve which Theme is that on the N97?

Old 08-02-2010, 10:34 AM
ericgadgetfreak

which?

the answer is N900....the best there is now!!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by widehead View Post
Neither win. They are both dreadful phones. If you must have a touch UI (perhaps you have recently had a knock to the head or maybe you're just stupid) it's a no brainer - the iPhone is for you (if you must have touch, clearly you don't know your arse from your elbow).
Buy an N86 8MP. Gorgeous screen, great camera and none of that annoying, pointless, time-sapping touch UI nonsense.
This is another one of those arrogant "my way is the only way" posts from somebody who believes they know best for everyone and their requirements are universal.

The iPhone is not a no-brainer for touch, it is oversized compared to the N97 mini, and does not have a physical keyboard. I absolutely love the touch interface on the iPhone, but those two problem points kill the possibility stone dead *for me*.

I agree the N86 is a good phone, but I am outdoors a lot in daylight, and I need a screen I can read.

I also partly agree that the 5800 is brilliant, and a better value alternative *if* you don't want the widgets and the physical keyboard.

Horses for courses. Only those that have had a knock on the head or the stupid would assume that one size fits all.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

Mostly satisfied now

I have the N97 "classic", and after the latest firmware update I must say, I am quite satisfied. It does everything I want, and yes, while Nokia should have put a faster CPU in the thing, it still does quite well in most areas and some areas quite excellent, actually.

I use Skyfire, Opera, WebKit for surfing depending what I need, all are fine.

For fun, music and day to day stuff I use: Mobbler or play mp3s from my 14 GB large music library on the phone, Frodo (with Bilbo) C64 emulator (amazing emu), Nokia Maps, Google Maps, play a few games bought from Ovi, use it to record concerts and rehearsals (I play in a band), take pictures, Facebook and email.

...and I cannot live without the QWERTY keyboard.

Everything works like a charm as long as you just remember one thing - ALWAYS install on E: drive ;-)

I love this phone, and right now everything is good.

BUT the next high/mid-end Symbian device from Nokia better be with a faster CPU and OpenGL ES or better graphics chip, or someone else will get my money.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Unregistered

Both of them are generally bad. The user experience is hardly great and i dont know why Nokia is always sticking with only 182mb of ram no im sorry ONLY 128mb

Old 08-02-2010, 11:37 AM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Both of them are generally bad. The user experience is hardly great and i dont know why Nokia is always sticking with only 182mb of ram no im sorry ONLY 128mb
Boring.
Ads