All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 05-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Optimising (and rationalising) RAM on the Nokia N97 (and N97 mini)

Steve Litchfield explores the world of RAM on the Nokia N97 and N97 mini, demonstrates that you can still multitask well over a dozen applications at once, discusses what Nokia got wrong and gives some pointers as to what you can do to keep things on the rails...

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:41 AM

mbrett is on a distinguished road
Reboot

One other thing, not mentioned here, is that in my experience the N97 does seem to have somewhat of a RAM leak and does need a reboot to reclaim lost RAM every so often. I have found this issue to be more extreme in the v20 FW.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Cleaning up the cache of google maps can give you a lot of free space back as wel(25 mb's in my case) click on options>options>restore google maps

Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator

No, no, no, I'm talking about RAM!! Why do people KEEP getting RAM mixed up with internal flash memory? Gah.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:12 AM

mdanuz is on a distinguished road
reboot

Ya I agree with mbrett , roobt does clear atleast 10 to 15 mb of ram even with the new firmware 21.0.045

Old 05-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Unregistered

Widgets

The AccuWeather widget is a disaster. I tested an N97, and it ruined battery life by forcing the data connection to stay on continuously, and reverted to GPS even though I set a fixed location. I couldn't find any settings to adjust the update interval either. Nokia should have told them to shove it and quickly ported the Foreca widget from Maemo. I think many new owners don't realize this and blame the phone instead.

My N900 is set to keep data active all the time, but it's designed for it, and I can live with the resulting battery life.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:54 PM

j d is on a distinguished road
My tip for ram is "know your enemy"

And by that i mean, fork out for handy taskman. Brilliant for many reasons, but a big one is that every time you open it up to switch tasks it tells you how much ram you are using. That way, you can kill a few apps if and when you need to

Old 05-02-2010, 01:04 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by j d View Post
My tip for ram is "know your enemy"

And by that i mean, fork out for handy taskman. Brilliant for many reasons, but a big one is that every time you open it up to switch tasks it tells you how much ram you are using. That way, you can kill a few apps if and when you need to
My experience with Handy Taskman has not been good. It seemed to slow my phone down a bit.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:38 PM

ajeet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrett View Post
One other thing, not mentioned here, is that in my experience the N97 does seem to have somewhat of a RAM leak and does need a reboot to reclaim lost
Upon boot up my N97 has about 59MB of RAM available. Looking further clock, messaging, contacts & log is running. If I close these using Handy Taskman (which was bundled with my phone), I gain 2MB RAM. But after doing some browsing, e-mails, SMS, calls etc, the available RAM does decrease even with no application runnning. I use Taskman to check. The available RAM can go as low as 48MB at times. So what has happened to the RAM. The only way to gain it back is to re-boot and start the cycle again.
Nokia should look at this and resolve. Perhaps 128MB RAM could be sufficient if managed well.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Administrator

@ajeet You're being naive about the way a complex operating system works, I'm afraid. All OS have dozens of background threads and processes and there's no practical way to manage these as a user. You just have to trust the OS to sort its own resources out. If, to the user, this then seems as if there's a loss of RAM then so be it.

Provided there really ISN'T a memory leak, of course. Bugs have been known in Web, though actual memory leaks are usually down to third party apps, in my experience.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Unregistered

RAMblow vs Swiss Manager Pro

What about Swiss Manager Pro? Do you think RAMblow woeks better then Swiss Manager Pro?

Old 05-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Same app, essentially. Same developer. SMP is RAMblow plus extra Task manager code and functions.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:31 PM

raffmonster is on a distinguished road
@ Steve

I politely disagree with your article.Keeping apps opened in the background is one thing and switching and using each of them is different.

To make my point clear 'opening' Nokia maps,Youtube,Music player and running them in the background is different from actually mapping a route, using GPS(and data connection),Playing Youtube video and simultaneously playing Music through Music player.Not that you would use youtube and music player at once,but even running maps(with GPS) with Music OR video running slows up the phone quite a bit,with quite obvious lags in the browser interface and, I can't play, say Worms World party because one of these apps will hang/will be shut down.

So, I can't, say, play my fav mp3 in the background,use Satnav(obviously with muted voice)and switch to a youtube video I had left to buffer fully in the browser.note that I have full 3G connectivity and not EDGE.

"RAMblow, for example, actively trawls your running OS for inactive applications and zaps them - potentially making a mockery of having multitasking in the first place"

Almost all RAM freeing utils do that,they are just a quick buck for the company.No RAM utility will ever work even 1% as good as extra MBs of physical RAM.

Having more 'Circles' on top of app icons does not mean a better device.

The N97 had much much more on its plate than what it could actually crunch.If S60v5 requires more amount of RAM for reasons mentioned in your article,why didn't Nokia sense this common logic (which even you & I know) while making N97s and made the same mistake with the mini.All of which is proof that Nokia are going much against the flow of customer aspirations, somewhere, there is a blockage between customer feedback & implementation of the needful.

They advertised it as a social net,'Live online' device with multiple homescreens and widgets and other whims & fancies while it takes more than my PC to boot up into a running state and it is out of juice in no time.I wonder if I can hack and stop the widget homescreens from loading and keep it simple like the 5800s screen and fire up the widget as & when I want.
Ads

Old 05-02-2010, 04:05 PM
froschy

Angry Making excuses for Nokia

Please stop making excuses for Nokia, for such an expensive phone that was sold as an always connected device owners shouldn't have to resort to these workarounds as they could have just purchased a much cheaper device or one of the competition phones.

I can only assume that it was just stubbornness on Nokia part with the attitude that Symbian is the most efficient mobile OS and that they could make it run on outdated hardware. I'm sure it wouldn't have cost much more to have at least 256 MB RAM, 512 MB NAND, and a faster processor given that when companies purchase things like memory in significant volume the cost difference between an amount like 128 MB & 256 MB is negligible and the Nexus One is a good example where the hardware has been approximated to cost roughly US $170.

Unless bloggers and analysts in the tech industry start telling it like it is, Nokia will keep on making these type of short sighted mistakes.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Administrator

I'm not 'making excuses for Nokia', I quite agree that there should be more RAM under the hood. I'm just trying to explain WHY they got it wrong and HOW users who have already bought the N97 can make the most of their current hardware. Is that not a good thing to do?