All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 21-12-2009, 10:47 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Sigh ..

Shame I finally sold my N95 a week ago.. poor old thing would have been nice to see the "final" firmware version .. still IMO the N95 is best phone Nokia has made.

I have an N97 but I got a Satio because it has XENON.. the 12Mpix was a bonus. No I don't want to lug a DSLR around. Yes I prefer an integrated device.

What a shame the xenon/led debate has taken over this thread.

Old 21-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alliterator View Post
For most outdoor daytime (most) photography, a flash is completely unnecessary.
Actually, this is patently bollocks. Flash is more useful during the day. If you've got a proper camera, you'll typically find that flash is too powerful for straight on shooting - resulting in burnt out highlights. It also tends to kill any atmosphere by making your room look brightly lit.

On a phone, any sort of flash is typically too weak for anything that isn't very close.
Where it is useful is during the day - it lifts a picture on a gloomy day and lights up backlit subjects on a bright day that would end up silhouetted.

Quote:
It is plainly obvious to all that in order to take a decent near-subject image in low light would normally be better lit with a Xenon flash. But it you want a decent picture WHY ARE YOU NOT USING A CAMERA?
Because you might want to take a picture, but not have your normal camera to hand.

Quote:
A poxy phone cannot take a decent picture, regardless of whether you have a super multi-slave remote flash and reflector/softener, or a simple unlit shutter.
Again - bollocks. The device does not a camera make. A camera phone can take a good picture, in that it can capture the moment. Indeed, the quality of the pictures from a phone camera is something to be exploited, much as Lomography highlights the quirks of cheap plastic lenses.

Old 22-12-2009, 12:44 AM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamehr View Post
Let me once again ADD to the Xenon debate (and I am entitled to, as an N82 AND N86 owner)...

LED will NEVER be as good as Xenon - period...................................
I am in the exact same phone situation as you I have owned the N82 for 18Months and now on the N86 for 18 months, been a Month now.

you have taken the words right out of my mouth so ill just add

I mainly use my phone for club, night, going out party shots, im not a person that takes photos of scenery etc and even when I do the phone obviously still very capable of daylight shots its not been denied, using my N86 the shots are not as bright as the N82, I feel myself not taking as many pictures knowing it does not have a flash, so what if everyone is lit up being washed out as in not showing their true pigmentation, better than not being seen at all or blurred, at least I can see the people! (I do not actually agree with the argument but even so).

The only advantage of the LED is flash, so I can use it as a torch. I wont put the phone down for this but I do not use it for Video recording for my purposes, how pissed off would people get if I lit up the place while taking a video and blinding them? The only place I could see it being used is if your taking a video of some spider in the dark or something.

Old 22-12-2009, 12:51 AM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Xenon Xealots will not ever accept that their flash is not the be all and end all of a phone. It is no use trying to talk to them, they are even worse and more obnoxious than Mac xealots.

For most outdoor daytime (most) photography, a flash is completely unnecessary.
It is plainly obvious to all that in order to take a decent near-subject image in low light would normally be better lit with a Xenon flash. But it you want a decent picture WHY ARE YOU NOT USING A CAMERA? A poxy phone cannot take a decent picture, regardless of whether you have a super multi-slave remote flash and reflector/softener, or a simple unlit shutter.

Make my phone more expensive by upgrading a secondary function with expensive unnecessary complication, and I won't buy. I already have a camera that no phone could ever compete with.

Alas, the xenon xealots will demand an extra sequin for their dresses and it will cost us all.

If Nokia got one thing right, it was to drop xenon.
Thats the same arguemtn anyone uses with anything a device does not have.

Not a good camera? not meant to be good, buy a dedicated camera
Not a good camcorder? not meant to be good, buy a dedicated camcorder
Not a good mp3 player? not meant to be good, buy a dedicated mp3 player
see a pattern

The Nokia 6220 classic expensive?

The Nokia N82 was way cheaper (not additional charge) than me getting the N95 on contract few months after the N82s release!! (25pm).

Old 22-12-2009, 03:27 AM

nudger is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up N82 firmware updates...

So I've gone and updated by N82 to V35.

Had to go back to a PC to do it and then danced the dance that NSU takes you through - you know, the one where you follow all the instructions, look at a page that says "Updating software - 15 minutes remaining" for 30 minutes and then says that the computer's lost the connection with the phone - even though it's sitting 10cm away connected with the USB cable.

Then I followed all the instructions to reconnect - take the battery out, remove the charger, divide 43 by 7, rub my tummy whilst patting my head, reconnect the cable, sing Old MacDonald four times, in Greek, reinsert the battery, press the power button for 1 second and click retry. And this time it worked. Always takes two goes - four successive firmware updates always do the same thing!

Can't tell the difference to be honest - I've looked all over the phone and it all seems the same. Even the free memory is the same. But I am sure there's something under the hood that's been improved. Surely?

On a more positive note, nothing's been wrecked. I still have all of my data, and the latest build of Ovi Maps. So maybe something will become apparent otherwise I will wait to hear what more knowledgeable people come up with.

Old 22-12-2009, 03:46 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I understand that the Xenon topic is really important and close to the hearts of N82 users like me but I hate to see this thread hijacked as this is also a pretty important thread.

v35 seems like a practical joke by Nokia on its users as there is nothing new. NOTHING AT ALL. I can't wait to see the changelog. To be honest, long list of under the hood changes would make me even sadder as it would mean that firmware was still unfinished.

Old 22-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Unregistered

Using a real camera, maybe?

Old 22-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Unregistered

N95

hello,

is there any news on changes with this firmware?? I don't want to have to go through the hassle of updating when my user data will be wiped if there's no obvious worthwhile changes.....

Also, is there, or will there ever be, a way to update using a Mac??

Thanks

Old 22-12-2009, 12:21 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Why does every article in here about N82 turns out to be a Xenon argument?? Get over it people.. Xenon is good but not every phone has it.. yes.. your N82 is the best because of the Xenon..

Old 22-12-2009, 12:31 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
There are no visible changes whatsoever. It was probably just an update to catch up with changes in DST start/end dates of some country.
It's the mobile phone analogue of a postmortem spasm.

Old 22-12-2009, 01:43 PM
The Alliterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Again - bollocks. The device does not a camera make. A camera phone can take a good picture, in that it can capture the moment. Indeed, the quality of the pictures from a phone camera is something to be exploited, much as Lomography highlights the quirks of cheap plastic lenses.
A flash does not a camera make Mr Bollocks. I thank you for hoisting yourself with your own petard.

You also proved my comment about the obnoxious xealot.

Old 22-12-2009, 06:10 PM
PwnBroker

LOL... the xenon lovers got pwned!

Old 22-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Unregistered

err....when did the release of a firmware update turn into an argument about LED/Xenon flashes?

Old 22-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
err....when did the release of a firmware update turn into an argument about LED/Xenon flashes?
err....when was the law passed that prohibited discussions from wandering off topic?

Old 23-12-2009, 01:24 AM
aremaboy

I just installed the 35.0.002 update to my N82 ( product code 0561047 of Indonesia region). The installation update file is 118.1 MB, installed by using compatibility mode on my Windows 7 operating system. I haven't seen any differences. Yet, it's a good refreshment for my one year old Nokia N82. A very reliable phone ever, working as it should be. I'm happy with this. Cheers, from Malang, Indonesia.