All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 21-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Marc D.

N97 graphics better than you say

You make the 3D performance ont he N97 seem worse than it is. Following your description the phone will only handle 2D only by the sound of it.
However, I have 3D games on my N97 and they work fine.
Examples of games I have on my N97 now: One (NGage - 3D fighter), ToonWarz (Ovi - 3D first person shooter, touch controls, 16:9 display), Resident Evil Degeneration (NGage Trail - 3D third person shooter), System Rush Evolution (NGage Trail - 3D), Mega Monsters (NGage Trail- 3rd person perspective), Need for Speed Undercover (NGage Trail - 3D arcade racing)

So if the 3D is as bad as you say, how come all of these games work?
I think you need to rethink you statement on that matter Mr. Litchfield

Old 21-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc D. View Post
So if the 3D is as bad as you say, how come all of these games work? I think you need to rethink you statement on that matter Mr. Litchfield
It's rather outrageous how people think I write these things without researching them first. I've done numerous tests on numerous games, looking at frame rates, and the N97 is a factor of two down on the N96 and, in extreme cases, an order of magnitude down on the N95.

'3D' games will work, but slowly. Have you guys not SEEN Oval Racer working on the N95? it's stunning. And that was 2007 hardware.

Old 21-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazutoyo View Post
Wow, that's depressing. I mean, it's good that the newer drives got a 512MB C drive, but really, when the S60 3rd FP2 devices appeared and gave the user less than 100MB of free storage, at least someone in charge at Nokia should have been thinking "hmmm, this isn't enough, we need to give the devices more storage". But no, it took almost another 2 years for that to happen.
It seems to me that the enginer@nokia is using new phone/firmware all the time, so that they never had lots of apps/mail/MMS on the phone thus making the phone loosing that precious C drive.

I also think that Nokia using a "if it's not break, then it's OK" philosopy when developing their phone. Because no one (million user @ the same time) ever complaint by the lack of memory until the N97 launched so nokia didn't notice their mistake.

I use E61i at this momment and want to upgrade to the best E series as of now which is E72. Seeing the C memory only 512, and with current OS it only leave me 300MB+ make me wonder if Nokia seriously build this device to be the top of the line of E series.

First of all, I have a love hate situation with my E61i. I use this phone to retrive my business mail, and I want to retain as much mail as posible on the phone. If I put the mail on the C drive (default), my phone will be down on it's knees in no time. If I put on the memory card, I lost the ability to 'HOT SWAP'.

Then, the MMS. The MMS also took place on the C drive as default. And I do receive quite lots of MMS. Because Axis (my service provider) give all their user free 1000 MMS each month.

So.... go figure.... This whole situation make all the E series looks bad.

If ordinary joe was using nokia N97 phone with only 50MB-70MB and receive 1000MMS x 50kb = 50MB of MMS in a month... The phone can't be used for browsing anymore after 1 months.!!!!

So, nokia really need to read this!!!

Old 21-12-2009, 08:13 PM

traecer is on a distinguished road
Good idea, but flawed

I like the idea of this comparison, but there are serious problems that make it too subjective. The N95 is listed, but the N95 8GB, with its larger battery and reorganized memory layout is completely ignored. Same for the N97 mini. Several key improvements that came with N96 firmware updates are taken into account, but updated abilities of the N95 and N97 are again ignored. I'd also point out each device has design flaws (ie N96 slider rail problems) that need to be considered if one is thinking of buying an older device. I actually do agree with the premise that "newer is not always better," but this comparison is a bit too flawed for my taste.

Old 22-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Michael.naud

New firmware issues

Just updated my N95-3. I couldn't get the Nokia Device status app to install. Aside from that, all looks okay. Nice to see Nokia keeps their old HW current. I've looked at the N97 mini, E72 and N86 8MP and still want to keep my trusty old N95. Now when Nokia releases an N900 that works on ATT's 3G network, then maybe I'll switch.

Old 22-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by traecer View Post
I like the idea of this comparison, but there are serious problems that make it too subjective. The N95 is listed, but the N95 8GB, with its larger battery and reorganized memory layout is completely ignored. Same for the N97 mini. Several key improvements that came with N96 firmware updates are taken into account, but updated abilities of the N95 and N97 are again ignored.
N95 8GB and N97 mini were left out partly for space reasons and partly because I wanted to look at the simple numeric progression. And also because I was simply trying to illustrate the point about older devices often out-performing newer ones.

I would agree that the N95 8GB and N97 mini are as good as, or better than one of both devices in a 5-wide table around them. As might be the N86. Hey, when Rafe lets me use a 2000 pixel wide table on the site.... 8-)

And I was considering all devices with latest firmware, so I did take into account all 'updated abilities'.

Old 22-12-2009, 10:11 AM
@illusionado

Angry Those who have dislikes and hatreds on N96, KILL ur phone! =)

For those people having problem about n96, bragging that n95/8gb is better,,,,,,then smash ur own phone!

Old 22-12-2009, 06:19 PM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Quote of the year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
Well, after this I think we can safely amend Disraeli's rule: "there are four types of lies: lies, damn lies, statistics, and Litchfield's tables".
I've seen you using a table to trash the excellent HTC Pro 2, then do it again with the Hero. And let's not even talk about your smartphone comparison table. But this time you've really outdone yourself. To make an fetid turd like the N96 look better than both N95 and N97 takes special skills. Well done, sir!
Genius.

rvirga, I salute you sir.

Old 22-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Unregistered

Question Main vs Storage Memory

Can somebody explain why the N97 doesn't use its 32 GB as 'main memory' or what's the point of having two internal separate 'main' (C drive) and 'storage' memory (E drive). Aren't both of them just NAND flash memory costing absolutely the same per MB? Why not just put 32GB of 'main' memory that can be used also for data storage as needed?

Same for the supplied memory cards that come in the box with many models. What's the point of including a 4GB memory card that can only be used for storage instead of 4GB of internal memory that can be used both for installing applications and data storage? If you want more memory you can buy a card by yourself at a later stage

Didn't the old Psion 5/5MX have a shared 4/8/16 MB of main/storage memory (also doubling as RAM)? Doesn't the iPhone have 16/32 GB of 'internal' memory (Flash) that can be used as needed for either installing applications or data storage

Clarifications welcome. I've done my best to search for an explanation online but to no avail.

Thanks

Old 23-12-2009, 02:46 AM
cygni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can somebody explain why the N97 doesn't use its 32 GB as 'main memory' or what's the point of having two internal separate 'main' (C drive) and 'storage' memory (E drive). Aren't both of them just NAND flash memory costing absolutely the same per MB? Why not just put 32GB of 'main' memory that can be used also for data storage as needed?

Same for the supplied memory cards that come in the box with many models. What's the point of including a 4GB memory card that can only be used for storage instead of 4GB of internal memory that can be used both for installing applications and data storage? If you want more memory you can buy a card by yourself at a later stage

Didn't the old Psion 5/5MX have a shared 4/8/16 MB of main/storage memory (also doubling as RAM)? Doesn't the iPhone have 16/32 GB of 'internal' memory (Flash) that can be used as needed for either installing applications or data storage

Clarifications welcome. I've done my best to search for an explanation online but to no avail.

Thanks
The C-drive in Nokia act as a Hard drive and also RAM. Whereas the other drive, such as the 32GB on the Nokia N97, or the 8GB on Nokia N97mini were just a plain storage, can't be used as RAM. The C drive is a Non Volatile RAM. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-vol..._access_memory. Whereas the 32GB or the 8GB is just a plain Flash memory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

It's 2 different beast.

Old 23-12-2009, 06:26 PM

ILoveGadgets is on a distinguished road
I think the comparison is a fair one and am quite suprised that the n96 has been so maligned over the last year or so. Maybe because it always seems to be just a bit under-powered...just not quite snappy enough...or that in every-day use it still has the habit of resetting itself once every couple of weeks. There is no getting away from it though, that in each of the categories where it has been marked green, it does equal or out-perform the other two. However, when you take each category on it's own, there is normally a better implementation on another phone out there somewhere. For this reason I see it as a Jack-of-all-trades phone, and while it is master-of-none, there are few (if any) phones out there which match it across the board.

Oh and BTW, of course reviews are subjective, that's the point. Everyone has different priorities for a phone and so there are many that disagree with the views of the reviewer...surely the approach to take is to find a reviewer that you generally agree with and then wait for them to review the phone(s) that you're interested in getting next. Why bother reading and then flaming a reviewer just because they haven't paid homage to the phone that you bought and think is the best. If you know so much about phones, write your own blog / column and see what comments that you get

ILG

Last edited by ILoveGadgets; 23-12-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Old 23-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygni View Post
The C-drive in Nokia act as a Hard drive and also RAM. Whereas the other drive, such as the 32GB on the Nokia N97, or the 8GB on Nokia N97mini were just a plain storage, can't be used as RAM. The C drive is a Non Volatile RAM. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-vol..._access_memory. Whereas the 32GB or the 8GB is just a plain Flash memory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

It's 2 different beast.
Isn't RAM (volatile) the D-drive?

Old 25-12-2009, 10:42 AM
cygni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Isn't RAM (volatile) the D-drive?

Hi,

Sorry... my mistake..
The C drive were NON FLASH memory, the D drive were NAND FLASH memory.

Here taken from Kingston web pages.

NOR, named after the specific data mapping technology (Not OR), is a high-speed Flash
technology. NOR Flash memory provides high-speed random-access capabilities, being able
to read and write data in specific locations in the memory without having to access the
memory in sequential mode. Unlike NAND Flash, NOR Flash allows the retrieval of data as
small as a single byte. NOR Flash excels in applications where data is randomly retrieved or
written. NOR is most often found built into cellular phones (to store the phone’s operating
system) and PDAs and is also used in computers to store the BIOS program that runs to
provide the start-up functionality

NAND Flash was invented after NOR Flash, and is named after the specific mapping
technology used for data (Not AND). NAND Flash memory reads and writes in high-speed,
sequential mode, handling data in small, block sizes (“pages”). NAND Flash can retrieve or
write data as single pages, but cannot retrieve individual bytes like NOR Flash.

NAND Flash memory is commonly found in solid-state hard drives, audio and video Flash
media devices, television set-top boxes, digital cameras, cell phones (for data storage) and
other devices where data is generally written or read sequentially.

For example, most digital cameras use NAND-Flash based digital film, as pictures are
usually taken and stored sequentially. NAND-Flash is also more efficient when pictures are
read back, as it transfers whole pages of data very quickly. As a sequential storage medium,
NAND Flash is ideal for data storage.

NAND Flash memory is less expensive than NOR Flash memory, and can accommodate
more storage capacity in the same die size.

Old 27-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Unregistered

Question N95

I've had my n95 for almost 2 years and I'm still surprised sometimes over its technical brilliance. Camera is almost perfect, for the phone anyway. I never used n96 or n97 so can't make comparison, but I tryed a lot of others like sonyericsson and samsung newer models and I'd still choose n95. Only thing that have bothered me are stereo headphones I got with phone - they always fell out of my ears - not very cool design. As for the batteries, I got non-original replacment, but one must be carefull when buying non-originals! Mine is a quality german-japanise 1400mAh cell and it powers my phone for 3 days of havy use!
PS: I hear from some friends that some were very satisfied with n96 and that n97 was a disappointment for them. So far this is just rumor, but I'll check it out...
PS2: this is for the guy who wrote comment a bit drunk at 3AM: nevertheless your comment is very well balanced an true...
PS3: So I'd like to hear more opinion from those who used and have expirience with all 3 nokia models...

Old 31-05-2010, 09:43 AM
McQuade181

What about 3G reception????

I currently have a N95-3 (850/1900MHz 3G) and am very happy with it, but as it is 2.5 years old, it is getting a bit tired, so I am looking at the N97mini to replace it.

For me the big issue is reception, here in Australia the N95 has Telstra's "Blue tick" for remote regional use, whereas the N97mini currently does not.
The N95 has fantastic reception, probably better than any other 850MHz 3G phone I have heard of - my question is how does the N97Mini compare????? or the N96 and N97 for that matter.

P.S. The performance/free RAM of the N95 on the chart is incorrect for all but the very first version of the N95 - the N95-2/3/4/5/6 all had double the amount of internal RAM (128MB instead of 64MB).
Ads