All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 20-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by widehead View Post
I have to take issue with this point in particular (some of your points almost don't deserve comment - like the N95 camera comparison)
kop-out. My points are correct and you have no answer therefore you attempt to dismiss them. Fail.

Quote:
because I'd just love to see how you write texts, browse the web or do anything worthwhile with one hand on the N97 mini.
I am a human being and therefore am blessed with opposable thumbs. I don't see any problem doing those things one handed. Don't see the problem at all.

Quote:
More importantly the N86 8MP not only has better capabilities but is a much better size, stronger and easier on the eye. I have the N97 mini, N86 and N95 8GB in front of me right now. In terms of useability the N97 mini comes in a poor 3rd place.
Easier on the eye on is subjective and therefore truly doesn't deserve comment. The Qwerty, touch are missing on the N86. That's a capability regression.

Quote:
If anyone wants to buy an N97 mini or see me smash it to bits on Youtube - let me know.
speaks volumes.

Old 20-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
Well, after this I think we can safely amend Disraeli's rule: "there are four types of lies: lies, damn lies, statistics, and Litchfield's tables".
I've seen you using a table to trash the excellent HTC Pro 2, then do it again with the Hero. And let's not even talk about your smartphone comparison table. But this time you've really outdone yourself. To make an fetid turd like the N96 look better than both N95 and N97 takes special skills. Well done, sir!
yawn

Old 20-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AANokia View Post
LOL @ Deluded Steve

Nokia fanboys are blinkered beyond belief. They will give the thumbs up to the biggest flop of the decade, the n96.
Can you explain why any of the green cells that Steve has selected are wrong?

No?

Thought not.

LOL @ deluded you. tw@t.

Old 20-12-2009, 11:27 PM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
i personally think the n96 is a great phone and the only thing letting it down is the battery

i fitted a 1200mah to mine and it was my phone of choice for over a year i tryed others , n82 , 5800 , n97 , n97mini , n86

i allways went back to the n96 as with v30 and a 1200mah battery it is one of the most stable feature packed all round devices on the market

the gps works , memory is great , screen is lovely , camera good , video codecs great

the only thing to take me away from the n96 was the omnia hd i8910 but as steve said thats a different topic so best left there

n96 is underated in my eyes

Old 21-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Unregistered

Apart from GPS issues. how about radio antenna of the phones ?

Also, I would like to know how much it takes for all these phone to have a stable firmware? which one is faster.

Old 21-12-2009, 01:00 AM

xXxJackxXx is on a distinguished road
Beer Each to his own

First of all let me say that I am a big fan of AAS/PhoneShow/PSC! That said it doesn't mean I agree with you guys ALL THE TIME but for the most part I find your website/podcasts very informative because I am pretty much THE target audience... Symbian user ever since the first Nokia smartphone, a smartphone freak/poweruser/whatever, and of course a Symbian user.
Anyway, I digress... back to my point:
There is NO SUCH THING as a perfect phone(or anything for that matter), it is all subjective. For example I am now using a Nokia N95 8GB, and for me it is the second best choice(I'm in the market for a N97 mini).
The only reason why I do not own the N96 is because I had just bought the N95 8gb when the N96 went on market and the difference between them did not justify the price. For the things I use my phone the N95 8GB is the best choice I can make.
The reason for this post is that I do not get when some people are so strong to dismiss a Nokia... or an iPhone, or an Android powered smartphone. I agree, the iPhone has a SPLENDID UI but since there is no good turn by turn navigation solution for my country(Romania) it's a no go for me.... that is just one example, the point being that we don't ALL look for the same thing in a phone and that well... EACH TO HIS OWN!
So chill, please!

PS: it's 3am, I just got home, and I'm a bit drunk, I hope I made some sense in what I posted.
Cheers and keep up the good work guys!

Old 21-12-2009, 01:47 AM

brrip is on a distinguished road
get an i8910!

but seriously, the n96 is a mistake even nokia should be trying to forget. i laugh out loud everytime i see it selling for more than the n97 in singapore. there's no doubt that the n95 was the most revolutionary phone out of the three, considering the time they were released. the n97's interface is clearly unfinished, and the lack of space on C: is just plain bad.

i went to the store wanting to buy an n97 over the summer, and found out that nokia' stopped shipping the version with navigation - and this was barely after i got over the fact that n97 has a resistive screen (my preference, not necessarily better) poor battery life, a slow processor and barely any space on C:

if there's a flagship for nokia now, i'd still say it's the n95, or the n86. s60v5 needs a lot of sprucing up before it can be a stable flagship.

oh and let's not forget the n900. definitely flagship material once it gets the right updates. (still no capacitive screen!!) if only they were even planning to launch it in singapore :(
Ads

Old 21-12-2009, 02:33 AM
Unregistered

N95 8gb

As somebody mentioned before, there is not a perfect device. As per the comparison of the three phones mentioned in this article, I think the N95 8gb should have been included and it "borrows" the strongest points of the original N95 and the N96.
Asis

Old 21-12-2009, 02:57 AM

chenliangchen is on a distinguished road
Steve...

Please add the N93--- flagship of 2006....

And it's form factor---is perfect. (gaming, filming, control of music etc.)

Although Nokia trushed the form factor...But it was still a wonder, on 2006. Besides the form factor, the optical zoom, stero sound camcording are still unique amongst nokia phones...

Also it has graphic chip which N96&N97 hasn't.

Old 21-12-2009, 03:00 AM

widehead is on a distinguished road
xXxJackxXx..... Don't buy the N97 mini. Seriously. After the joy of being an N95 8GB owner it will break your heart to waste so much money on that garbage.

Old 21-12-2009, 03:02 AM
tech geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by widehead
1) Faster, yes. But that's like saying I can run faster than Steven Hawking
2) Stable? Barely.
3) The camera of the N95? Nowhere near.
4) Battery life? Try using it for more than texting. Requires at least one charge per day for a heavy user.
1. Well, I've had both, the n97 and the mini. Sold off my n97 - even if it had v20 already. I just find the mini faster and more responsive.
2. Yes, it is. Have tried more than 10 apps open on it, it doesn't hang or slow down like the n97. So yeah, it IS more stable.
3. Well, they have both 5mp CZ cameras dont they? The mini's are a bit better than the n95 - at least it has 2 LED's and not one.
4. Last 1.5 days on me, heavy use. Unlike my previous n95 which barely last a day.

Quote:
5) Built like a very feminine and easily scratchable tank
6) No slider issues is about the only positive about it.
7) Still too big and requires two hands to actually use. I guess if all you want to do is hold it then that explains why you think it's so good.
5. Feminine? If you mean because of the shiny metal - well, everyone's perception of whats good looking is different. I dont find it feminine. AND, more importantly, it has more metal than both the n95 and n97. I find it elegant not feminine.
7. You must have small(er) hands? I dont find it using and holding it with one hand - a problem. Only time I use both hands is when typing long text on that qwerty. And being more widely spaced - the qwerty of the mini is actually BETTER than in the n97.

I still stick to my point. The mini trumps all 3. The n95 was good but is old now. The n96 is more or less - an "updated" n95 only, and kept that small batt. The n97, was buggy at the start, and even with v20 - tends to be still slow, and is "disabled" by having lots of low memory errors. The mini is, and should be, the flagship symbian for today. It's even better than the E72 (with its build issues and erratic optical dpad).

Old 21-12-2009, 03:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by widehead
More importantly the N86 8MP not only has better capabilities but is a much better size, stronger and easier on the eye. I have the N97 mini, N86 and N95 8GB in front of me right now. In terms of useability the N97 mini comes in a poor 3rd place.

If anyone wants to buy an N97 mini or see me smash it to bits on Youtube - let me know.
Hahaha the n86's camera is the only thing that's good about it. A non-touchscreen and a dual-slider in 2009?? Not only is Nokia late - they're prehistoric!

Smashing on youtube? Any links? I'd like to see that.

Old 21-12-2009, 05:17 AM
cygni

Angry C drive problem.

Finally... One of the trusted symbian editor wrote about this problem.

I've been yelling about this C drive problem for a very long time. ALL nokia device has the C drive problem. It's a pitty that nokia didn't take this serious flaw seriously.

I believe that the CURRENT nokia High End devices like the N96/N97/E71/E72/E75/X6 should AT LEAST have 1GB or 2GB C-drive. For a device with a hefty price tag, I believe we (customer) really deserve that.

And for the middle end device like the E52/E55/5800XM/N86 should have at least 512MB/1GB C drive.

As a user, I really expecting to install Apps on the C drive instead of MicroSD, as I would lose the hot-swap ability if I installed it on MicroSD.

This is something that nokia NEVER get it right

Old 21-12-2009, 05:56 AM

I don't get it. My N97 mini is a joke. Poor battery life. Average camera. Buggy. Laggy. Delicate metal surround that looks AWFUL when scratched. Still the same old S60 shoe-horned into a touch UI with all those redundant menus etc.

People talk about touch UIs like they're a step forward - they're not. They are, at present, a gimmick that actually slows down productivity and day-to-day usage. It's simply faster and easier to use hardware buttons and anyone who says otherwise is in denial due to the hundreds of pounds they've thrown away on substandard devices.

I'll say it again - the best Nokia phone out there at the moment is the N86 8GB. It does absolutely everything that the mini can do (without the hassle of the touch UI) and more. And where they overlap the N86 8MP wins outright.

Talking about the N97 mini as a flagship (just as with the N95, N96 and N97) is beyond ridiculous.

Old 21-12-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hahaha the n86's camera is the only thing that's good about it. A non-touchscreen and a dual-slider in 2009?? Not only is Nokia late - they're prehistoric!
Again, what's with the idea that touch UI is newer and therefore better? It's clearly not better in the slightest.

And complaining about a dual-slider that actually helps control of media playback in landscape mode is bordering on the insane. It works - why replace it with an interface that a) wasn't designed for touch, b) is slow and c) hinders day-to-day usage?

Someone please enlighten me - why is S60 5th edition better than non-touch devices running essentially the same software?

Last edited by widehead; 21-12-2009 at 06:09 AM.