All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 20-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
One by one by one: Nokia N95 vs N96 vs N97

One would assume that with the Nokia N95, N96 and N97 having sequential product numbers, there would be a common aim for their use in the minds of Nokia's design team, along with a clear technical evolution. To be fair, you can see the former, in their focus on multimedia in conjunction with a decent camera. However, the latter isn't that easy to demonstrate, as I found when comparing the three Nokia flagships (from 2007, 2008 and 2009) head to head - it seems there are plenty of attributes for which the N95 wins and still more for which the N96 wins....

Read on in the full article.

Old 20-12-2009, 06:00 PM
AANokia

LOL @ Deluded Steve

Nokia fanboys are blinkered beyond belief. They will give the thumbs up to the biggest flop of the decade, the n96.

Old 20-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Unregistered

I think the C: drive should be a separate category - it just seems wrong to have the N97 be the winner here just because of the 32 GB memory when the C: drive space is crippling the device.
/Lark

Old 20-12-2009, 06:18 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AANokia View Post
LOL @ Deluded Steve

Nokia fanboys are blinkered beyond belief. They will give the thumbs up to the biggest flop of the decade, the n96.
That's your opinion, which you're entitled to, but there are many satisfied N96 owners out there...

Old 20-12-2009, 06:34 PM
tech geek

The Mini trumps all 3.
Its faster and more responsive than the n97, is more stable, has 256 on its C: drive, has the camera of the N95, has the battery of the n95-8gb, is built like a tank, has no slider issues of the sliders - and is more natural to hold than all 3.

Old 20-12-2009, 06:37 PM

widehead is on a distinguished road
This article shows us something truly amazing. Nokia "flagship" devices are appalling. The bug-ridden, memory-lacking N95 was made obsolete by the N95 8GB within months of launch. The N96 was a commercial flop and a technological disappointment. And the N97.... well, need we say anything about that?

I'm struggling to maintain my loyalty to Nokia since parting with hundreds and hundreds of pounds for sub-standard hardware that is packing unfinished firmware.

Nokia need to stop releasing so many damn handsets and concentrate on making a few finished ones.

Old 20-12-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech geek View Post
The Mini trumps all 3.
Its faster and more responsive than the n97, is more stable, has 256 on its C: drive, has the camera of the N95, has the battery of the n95-8gb, is built like a tank, has no slider issues of the sliders - and is more natural to hold than all 3.
1) Faster, yes. But that's like saying I can run faster than Steven Hawking
2) Stable? Barely.
3) The camera of the N95? Nowhere near.
4) Battery life? Try using it for more than texting. Requires at least one charge per day for a heavy user.
5) Built like a very feminine and easily scratchable tank
6) No slider issues is about the only positive about it.
7) Still too big and requires two hands to actually use. I guess if all you want to do is hold it then that explains why you think it's so good.

Old 20-12-2009, 07:29 PM

sjgore is on a distinguished road
Well I love my N96, especially since the v30 firmware came out.
Ads

Old 20-12-2009, 07:56 PM

Nick17 is on a distinguished road
I still think the N96 is the best phone up till today.

A good phone is only as good as the services it can handle.

Throw in great DVB-H and you have the N95 you always wanted.

Touch is not an extra but only a different way to handle your phone.

I am still guessing that when DVB-H will catch on (in 2010 in Germany) that the N96 will get a revival.

Since the v20-firmware the N96 is the better N95.

Old 20-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by widehead View Post
1) Faster, yes. But that's like saying I can run faster than Steven Hawking
2) Stable? Barely.
3) The camera of the N95? Nowhere near.
4) Battery life? Try using it for more than texting. Requires at least one charge per day for a heavy user.
5) Built like a very feminine and easily scratchable tank
6) No slider issues is about the only positive about it.
7) Still too big and requires two hands to actually use. I guess if all you want to do is hold it then that explains why you think it's so good.
1. More than fast enough. You don't buy a phone to render 3D animations in HD.
2. Mine is stable. Had no problems.
3. The N95 camera was poor, the N97 mini camera is poor. It's a phone camera; phone cameras are, without exception, poor. It's better than the N95 camera though.
4. Take yours back. My battery is 48 hours between charges. Very heavy use.
5. All phones are easily scratchable. Mini feels very solid though.
6. Too early to see if qwerty slider problems will appear.
7. Much better size than ANY other phone with similar capabilities. Mine does not require two hands for anything but qwerty operation (which is not necessary).

Old 20-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Unregistered

What about the N95-8gb??? Throw that into the mix and i think the scales tip towards it from the N96 (and for sure from the standard N95 (though the fixed 8GB is still a thorn in my side...but thats a problem for another topic for another day...grrrr)) ...its the best in my opinion and still a good option even 2yrs after its release!

Old 20-12-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
7. Much better size than ANY other phone with similar capabilities. Mine does not require two hands for anything but qwerty operation (which is not necessary).
I have to take issue with this point in particular (some of your points almost don't deserve comment - like the N95 camera comparison) because I'd just love to see how you write texts, browse the web or do anything worthwhile with one hand on the N97 mini. More importantly the N86 8MP not only has better capabilities but is a much better size, stronger and easier on the eye. I have the N97 mini, N86 and N95 8GB in front of me right now. In terms of useability the N97 mini comes in a poor 3rd place.

If anyone wants to buy an N97 mini or see me smash it to bits on Youtube - let me know.

Old 20-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Unregistered

N97 flagship ? I owned one and I sold it instantly. Everything was wrong: the bad interface, poor GPS, camera get scratched after 10-th opening (Yes, I've counted them !), low speed.
In my opinion Nokia should dump the S60 5th and do what they do best: phones with hardware buttons , with extraordinary technical specifications like it was N95 at his time.
They will never equal, in interface terms, the Iphone, Android and even Windows mobile.
I am expecting a right sequel to my faithful E90.

Old 20-12-2009, 08:50 PM

Niktrek is on a distinguished road
Get a BlackBerry 9700

I got a Blackberry Bold 9700 and am loving it. It is superior to any E-series device except in one area, 3G speed. A small sacrifice to for a superior device. I know the trend is for the industry to save money and make devices with cheaper materials. Nokia is definitely not bucking the trend but they need to get current. E72 has a QVGA display, WTF thats is all I have to say.

Old 20-12-2009, 09:49 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Well, after this I think we can safely amend Disraeli's rule: "there are four types of lies: lies, damn lies, statistics, and Litchfield's tables".
I've seen you using a table to trash the excellent HTC Pro 2, then do it again with the Hero. And let's not even talk about your smartphone comparison table. But this time you've really outdone yourself. To make an fetid turd like the N96 look better than both N95 and N97 takes special skills. Well done, sir!