All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #31  
Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
You know, Elvis is alive, and he has a Nokia smartphone with a decent email client that is easy to setup out of the box, and when you read the email it does not look like something out of the 80's.


That should be pinned up in the Nokia board room. Whenever they start talking about how they're "Democratizing The Smartphone", someone should hit them over the head with it.

  #32  
Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
Sure, and two years from now they'll be getting whatever's hot whether that's an iPhone, a Nokia, an HTC or something else.
They'll probably upgrade to a 4th gen iPhone. That will arrive right in the middle of one of Nokia's weakest years for new handsets for many a moon and pound their profitability further into the ground!

S60 needs to be retired on the touchscreen phones, but if they do this they end up making the existing back catalogue incompatible with the new devices, handing iPhone and Android an even bigger lead on that front.

S40, S60, Maemo... people talk about Android fragmentation, but Nokia are managing to fragment themselves! What is the point of Maemo if they will still continue to offer high end Symbian based handsets. They must feel they have R&D capacity to spare (maybe should have dedicated some to the N97... BEFORE it was released :-D).

  #33  
Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
They'll probably upgrade to a 4th gen iPhone. That will arrive right in the middle of one of Nokia's weakest years for new handsets for many a moon and pound their profitability further into the ground!

S60 needs to be retired on the touchscreen phones, but if they do this they end up making the existing back catalogue incompatible with the new devices, handing iPhone and Android an even bigger lead on that front.

S40, S60, Maemo... people talk about Android fragmentation, but Nokia are managing to fragment themselves! What is the point of Maemo if they will still continue to offer high end Symbian based handsets. They must feel they have R&D capacity to spare (maybe should have dedicated some to the N97... BEFORE it was released :-D).

So you think Samsung are getting wrong by introducing Bada alongside Android, which will follow up their WinMo and Symbian offerings?

It's really not a big deal. Nobody wants an iPhone 1.
Ads

  #34  
Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevwright View Post
@ajck



You know, Elvis is alive, and he has a Nokia smartphone with a decent email client that is easy to setup out of the box, and when you read the email it does not look like something out of the 80's.

Kev
So, Elvis has Profimail then. Sensible. 20 euros well spent.

  #35  
Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So you think Samsung are getting wrong by introducing Bada alongside Android, which will follow up their WinMo and Symbian offerings?
Samsung have dropped Symbian and should drop Windows Mobile. I have no idea what they plan for Bada - perhaps it's for lower end smartphones, or perhaps they too have money to burn on development costs. If they want to differentiate their phone they can stick their own features / UI enhancements on top of Android as HTC have done with Sense UI.

  #36  
Old 02-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So, Elvis has Profimail then. Sensible. 20 euros well spent.
Elvis has left the building... no he hasn't... no wait, he's left... no, now he's 100m away on a different street. Oh, if only my N97 GPS worked properly.

  #37  
Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 PM
rafiii rafiii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 50
rafiii is on a distinguished road
Nokia strategy makes sens. By the end of 2010 there will be 2 OS, Symbian^4 and Maemo 6, both being open source and using Qt as the main framework. The only difference for the consumer will be:
Do I want a phone with a linux terminal or not?

Symbian being more versatile than Maemo, it is far from being dead and that's good news.

  #38  
Old 03-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Bollocks!
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I'm sorry but whoever is spouting that rubbish about his friend losing his iTunes library because of a bug is full of bollocks! What absolute tosh!

It just goes to show that some folks will say anything to help their side of the argument! As anyone, and I mean anyone will be able to tell you that whilst downloading a song from iTunes (be it Computer or OTA using an iPhone/Touch) the song(s) don't show up in the player until after they've been downloaded, so your friend couldn't have possible "Tried to play a song whilst it was downloading" !!

And if it was from another method (Say d/l from outside iTunes) then that must mean he has a J/B model, which also makes your argument completely void!

Some peoples stupidity amaze me, they clearly mock a device without having even used one!

Good day!

  #39  
Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 AM
clonmult clonmult is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 454
clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Samsung have dropped Symbian and should drop Windows Mobile. I have no idea what they plan for Bada - perhaps it's for lower end smartphones, or perhaps they too have money to burn on development costs. If they want to differentiate their phone they can stick their own features / UI enhancements on top of Android as HTC have done with Sense UI.
Samsung have dropped i8910 then? Best tell everyone to stop buying a product thats on the shelves but apparently not available then, and is arguably one of the best S60 Touch devices on the market.

Nokia have long had the strategy of having S60 replace S40 - I still don't think its quite ready though. And they've had a long time to get it ready, but typically of Nokia they seem to have stood still while the rest of the market has moved on.

So much wasted potential

  #40  
Old 03-12-2009, 11:45 AM
ajck ajck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 175
ajck is on a distinguished road
@kevwright: Please keep your posts coming, the lack of logic and consistency, and absence of facts is entertaining and as good as any fairy story ;-)

I particularly like your statement that Nokia lose money on 5800 sales and then in a later post state that they don't release information on whether this is the case or not. Always amusing to see someone completely undermine themselves ;-)

  #41  
Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
GJW
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajck View Post
@kevwright: Please keep your posts coming, the lack of logic and consistency, and absence of facts is entertaining and as good as any fairy story ;-)

I particularly like your statement that Nokia lose money on 5800 sales and then in a later post state that they don't release information on whether this is the case or not. Always amusing to see someone completely undermine themselves ;-)
Yes I liked that a lot too. Keep 'm coming keywright. Also, I like all commentards telling Nokia how to operate in one of the most competitive markets around.

Enjoy your hubris guys!

  #42  
Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks! View Post
I'm sorry but whoever is spouting that rubbish about his friend losing his iTunes library because of a bug is full of bollocks! What absolute tosh!

It just goes to show that some folks will say anything to help their side of the argument! As anyone, and I mean anyone will be able to tell you that whilst downloading a song from iTunes (be it Computer or OTA using an iPhone/Touch) the song(s) don't show up in the player until after they've been downloaded, so your friend couldn't have possible "Tried to play a song whilst it was downloading" !!

And if it was from another method (Say d/l from outside iTunes) then that must mean he has a J/B model, which also makes your argument completely void!

Some peoples stupidity amaze me, they clearly mock a device without having even used one!

Good day!
It happened, you are wrong and a liar.

  #43  
Old 03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks! View Post
I'm sorry but whoever is spouting that rubbish about his friend losing his iTunes library because of a bug is full of bollocks! What absolute tosh!

It just goes to show that some folks will say anything to help their side of the argument! As anyone, and I mean anyone will be able to tell you that whilst downloading a song from iTunes (be it Computer or OTA using an iPhone/Touch) the song(s) don't show up in the player until after they've been downloaded, so your friend couldn't have possible "Tried to play a song whilst it was downloading" !!

And if it was from another method (Say d/l from outside iTunes) then that must mean he has a J/B model, which also makes your argument completely void!

Some peoples stupidity amaze me, they clearly mock a device without having even used one!

Good day!
Just to clarify, not that I should need to, an album was being downloaded, the track was a completed track download which was part of an album being download. When the album download completed with the track still playing the itunes db was corrupted, and the music became unusable. Merely syncing would not help, and a third party software package was needed to correct it.

Not jailbroken. Standard iPhone fcked itself up. I also have an iPhone myself issued by my employer.

Some people's arrogance amazes me. The clearly spout off thinking they know it all when they know fk all.

u cnut.

  #44  
Old 03-12-2009, 12:24 PM
celios celios is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 471
celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Samsung have dropped i8910 then? Best tell everyone to stop buying a product thats on the shelves but apparently not available then, and is arguably one of the best S60 Touch devices on the market.

Nokia have long had the strategy of having S60 replace S40 - I still don't think its quite ready though. And they've had a long time to get it ready, but typically of Nokia they seem to have stood still while the rest of the market has moved on.

So much wasted potential
They are selling the i8910, but only a fool would buy one as they won't be selling any more Symbian or Windows Mobile phones and have publically committed to Android and Bada.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_anno...-news-1245.php

Basically i8910 owners have been screwed and will be getting very little support.

http://forums.samsungi8910omnia.com/...p-symbian.html

  #45  
Old 03-12-2009, 01:02 PM
kevwright kevwright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 42
kevwright is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajck View Post
@kevwright: Please keep your posts coming, the lack of logic and consistency, and absence of facts is entertaining and as good as any fairy story ;-)

I particularly like your statement that Nokia lose money on 5800 sales and then in a later post state that they don't release information on whether this is the case or not. Always amusing to see someone completely undermine themselves ;-)
What, you mean the bit where I say "The Comes with Music clearly helped, but don't Nokia lose dosh on each and every one of those?"

That seems to be question (the clue is the little ? at the end), rather than a statement, but hey, whatever. Someone else answered the question who claimed insider knowledge and you will see I accepted that without question.

Still, nice that you chose to (wrongly) pick on this part of my reply to your orginal post rather that rise to the actual challenge about iPhone price later in the post.

Still, can't undermine yourself if you chose to not back up your statements huh :-)

Kev
 

Bookmarks

Tags
2010, masterplan, nokia

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to add your internet radio station to Nokia's Internet Radio directory Tzer2 Links of Interest 11 27-04-2009 11:00 AM
Mobjab and Nokia's IM slitchfield Links of Interest 2 06-06-2008 06:07 AM
Nokia's Trolltech acquisition approved by European Commission Rafe Links of Interest 0 05-06-2008 10:55 AM
OK for Sony's PSP, but not for Nokia's N-Gage? slitchfield Series 60 1 14-06-2006 07:05 AM
N-Gage 'Platform' To Expand Over Nokia's Smartphone Range Ewan N-Gage 17 15-11-2005 07:52 AM



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:15 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy