All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 24-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Samsung INNOV8 (i8510) - 8 megapixel S60 slider

Samsung today announced the high-end, featured pack Samsung INNOV8 (model number i8510). It is an S60 slider with a 8 megapixel, autofocus camera with dual LED flash. The phone runs S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 and other key features include a 2.8 inch screen, WiFi, 16GB of on board flash memory, optical sensor, integrated GPS, accelerometer sensor, and DNSe audio technology.

Read on in the full article.

Old 24-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Hmmm. Looks everything the N96 should have been.

Bigger battery, better looking, good speakers...

Old 24-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

I hope this wipes the floor with the N96. Samsung have the common sense to include a 1200mah battery and still make it slimmer than the N96.

This makes nokia's decision look very silly.

Old 24-07-2008, 03:20 PM

fromfela is on a distinguished road
WTF!! so sorry but

i don't get this at all it looks like a nokia phone it's like cell phone makers are not even trying anymore, now slider phones are the next big thing why cuase the n95 did so well? come on Samsung grow up who's going to buy that anyway????

Old 24-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
I do hope this does well, having many manufacturers supporting S60 is very important for its long term future, and it gives S60 fans more choice without forcing them to give up their favourite software platform.

Quote:
i don't get this at all it looks like a nokia phone it's like cell phone makers are not even trying anymore, now slider phones are the next big thing why cuase the n95 did so well? come on Samsung grow up who's going to buy that anyway???
It's meant to look like a camera, because the 8mp camera is its most prominent feature. A lot of people will buy an expensive phone on the strength of its camera, many people did that with the N95.

Quote:
Will ship with 2 embedded games: FIFA 08 (EA) and Asphalt (Gameloft).
Considering this is an S60 3rd Edition phone, will these be identical to the N-Gage versions (but with online stuff removed)?

Old 24-07-2008, 03:24 PM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
Did anyone else see that top-right picture of this phone with the keypad slid out and think "Hmm, Nokia 7650"? Or is it just me and my obsession that the 7650 is still the best S60 phone?

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 24-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Sentinel

Yes, it's just you.

Old 24-07-2008, 03:51 PM

Terry1100 is on a distinguished road
Looks like a stunner - I might even learn to live without QWERTY if the keypad is nice. However, I'm not a fan of the flat RAZR style keypads that might just be the dealbreaker.

However, the win for Symbian will be if the networks take it up - if SE are heading to WinMo (especially if UIQ eventually dissapears) then we'll need an alternative to Nokia if only to keep them on their toes.

Old 24-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Unregistered

I think it looks absolutely stunning. They really are on a roll lately aren't they. In terms of design, I don't think any1 comes close to Samsung at the moment, not even the Iphone. First the Omnia and now this? They're making me drool. I sincerely hope this phone will be as good as it looks. I think I'm ready to dump my N95 now..

Old 24-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

I...

Want one!!! NOW!!! Go Samsung!
Ads

Old 24-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Unregistered

3D Graphics

Someone clearly forgot to mention the OMAP2430 contains the "enabled" PowerVR MBX lite (similiar to Apple) pity Nokia just have not used it yet, oh well maybe they will use SGX within OMAP3 next year....

Old 24-07-2008, 05:06 PM
xrgo

phone looks sexy!, but why bother with 8mpx without optical zoom and xenon flash?

Old 24-07-2008, 05:29 PM
PekkaR

That's a more compelling device than I expect to see from Samsung, honestly. Mmm, the battery size...

Hoping to find out, in no specific order:
- the weight (Would it have been too much to include?)
- screen resolution (Come on! Physical size alone is only half the story...)
- the expected price
- how the camera really compares to current top end N-series?!? (before N78 or N96, too) Too bad about only (dual) LED flash.

Old 24-07-2008, 05:33 PM
PekkaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekkaR View Post
- screen resolution (Come on! Physical size alone is only half the story...)
Bah, silly me. It was mentioned, QVGA. That's a little disappointing for 2.8 inches but kind of understandable for S60... Nokia needs to move beyond first. (Again. My current phone is E60.)

Old 24-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by PekkaR View Post
That's a more compelling device than I expect to see from Samsung, honestly. Mmm, the battery size...

Hoping to find out, in no specific order:
- the weight (Would it have been too much to include?)
- the expected price
- how the camera really compares to current top end N-series?!? (before N78 or N96, too) Too bad about only (dual) LED flash.
Yes Samsung is really on the cutting edge here (previously it was more catch up or just behind). The G810 was nice, but not quite there.

I'm trying to get more information on the phone. Weight, price and camera sample are all on my list of things to find out. I'll update the story and make a note in the thread when (if) I get this.

There's an obvious comparison to be made with the N96 of course.