All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 11-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
A Qt powered S60 interface looks a bit like this

We've been hearing a lot about Qt running on Symbian OS and how it's going to help, but this video (from the recent Qt Developer Day) shows how the current S60 UI would act if it was powered by Qt. It's still recognisable as the interface that many have a love/hate relationship, but it gives a nice touchstone to jump off from to the next iteration of UI.

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 AM
hock

that's amazing! When is Qt officially coming to Symbian, Symbian^4?

Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Unregistered

Don't expect Direct UI to look like the current S60 UI

Cheers,

Kevin McIntyre

Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 AM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
Not bad at all, especially the second part. The only thing I would like to see improved is the transition from icon to app, when an app is started. It should look like the icon itself is filling up the screen.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Unregistered

What a massive waste of clock cycles.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
Is it just me, or does anyone else get annoyed by the n97 kinetic scrolling allowing drag past the bottom of the list? the 'bounce' effect when a list ends is rather painful, imo, I'd like to just flick my finger, and when the list stops, I know i can click on it, rather than have to wait for it to go 'oh, that's right, i just scrolled further than any actual results exist, wait a tick while i right myself!' yeah, small things, just something that I noticed this UI mock also does :'(

Apart from that, it looks kicking Lots of nice stuff on display, tho I can't see what phone that is running on.. perhaps an omnia? If that were an n97, that would be mightily impressive.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Unregistered

As a consumer I still don't understand what is Qt, even I'm trying to browse through the Qt website, seeing videos etc. I'm a little more confused with this video.

The questions come as these: What is really Qt? Is it a new interface for Symbian? Or a tool to make it easy to facelift the homescreen? If it is easy, will Symbian^2 be so flexible like this video?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Old 11-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Mark Wilcox is on a distinguished road
Tech demo misrepresented

This is purely a demo of how easy it is to add UI candy to S60 right now with Qt.

The top-level shell here is written with Qt and when apps are launched they're the current S60 apps on the device.

Qt is an application framework that developers use to create apps (which can and will include all the built-in apps in future). Qt will be included in Symbian^3 devices, but the built-in apps will still be largely the same and based on the current Avkon framework. In Symbian^4 the built-in apps will be re-written with Qt and, as Kevin says, you shouldn't expect them to look like the current S60 interface.

Expect Symbian^3 devices in the summer and Symbian^4 devices in early 2011.

Also note that the term S60 is effectively deprecated - there is just Symbian now.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM
big_don

Thumbs down no go!

I dont like it! i prefer the homescreen of the current s60 with live widgets! what i saw in this video was just some special effects, no more what s60 can already do now. what they need to do is redesign the whole thing not just add some special effects and think that will take on the iphone.

if i owned nokia stock right now i would sell big time cause they just seem to be out of touch with what consumers want. they dont have hip enough software designers that think ahead of the curve. i guess they just lack immagination from the ones living somewhere in cali smoking that sweet cali grass they have over there.

the Symbian UI i saw at a SF conference was rather sweet and where things shoud be heading if they want to stand a chance.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Awesome is all I can say... Looks amazing... I just hope that this comes out soon. It should not happen that when this finally hits the market, some other OS has launched a UI that makes this look yesteryear.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_don View Post
I dont like it! i prefer the homescreen of the current s60 with live widgets! what i saw in this video was just some special effects, no more what s60 can already do now. what they need to do is redesign the whole thing not just add some special effects and think that will take on the iphone.
if i owned nokia stock right now i would sell big time cause they just seem to be out of touch with what consumers want. they dont have hip enough software designers that think ahead of the curve. i guess they just lack immagination from the ones living somewhere in cali smoking that sweet cali grass they have over there.
Has this been quoted by / provided by Nokia? No!! Why bash them then?

Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
0:00-0:15
The multiple homescreens that you can switch to by swiping horizontally, as well as the application menu that you "pull" from the bottom with an upward swipe are copied from Android.
00:30-00:45
That 3D card stack arrangement is taken from the SE Xperia X10's Timescape app.
0:50-1:30
The vertical bar with kinetic scrolling on the left, from which you can drag application shortcuts into the homescreen, is basically Samsung's Touchwiz.

As a demo to show that Qt is powerful enough to emulate some UI elements of Symbian's competitors, it's impressive. I just hope it's not a prototype of the new UI.
Ads

Old 11-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

@rvirga

Actually most of these are from Qt demos running on KDE (similar to plasma) for the last few years. I guess it's supposed to be a demo of the sort of things you can do and not any particular UI.

If you look, it's not even done by Nokia or Symbian - it's a 3rd party SW house.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:39 AM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As a consumer I still don't understand what is Qt, even I'm trying to browse through the Qt website, seeing videos etc. I'm a little more confused with this video.

The questions come as these: What is really Qt? Is it a new interface for Symbian? Or a tool to make it easy to facelift the homescreen? If it is easy, will Symbian^2 be so flexible like this video?
Qt is a programming library to create (amongst other things) the user interface of an application. Programs use Qt to create things like views, buttons and menu's, the stuff you see on the screen. Programmers can also setup animations like the zoom effect and the page flip effect with Qt. Qt then handles the animation (most likely by telling the graphics coprocessor what it wants it to do).

In the Symbian world the closest equivalents are Avkon, the library that gives S60 phones their look and feel, and Qikon, the library that give SonyEricssons UIQ phones their look and feel.

Qt is expected to used as the only UI library in Symbian ^4, but people are pushing to get it incorporated earlier, in ^3. All the fancy effects must and will be available in Symbian ^4, but they might be there in ^3.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:06 PM

christexaport is on a distinguished road
rvirga
Quote:
0:00-0:15:
The multiple homescreens that you can switch to by swiping horizontally, as well as the application menu that you "pull" from the bottom with an upward swipe are copied from Android.

"Copied" from Android? You must not know that multiple desktops has also been a feature of many Linux desktop builds, and wasn't an invention of Android.
Quote:
00:30-00:45
That 3D card stack arrangement is taken from the SE Xperia X10's Timescape app.
Should you be surprised? Its well known that Sony Ericsson is a Symbian Foundation member, and therefore contributing to part of the OS interface. This is the beauty of open source and having multiple manufacturers contributing to the direction of the UI.
0:50-1:30
Quote:
The vertical bar with kinetic scrolling on the left, from which you can drag application shortcuts into the homescreen, is basically Samsung's Touchwiz.
And Samsung is also a Symbian Foundation member. See a trend here?

Quote:
As a demo to show that Qt is powerful enough to emulate some UI elements of Symbian's competitors, it's impressive. I just hope it's not a prototype of the new UI.
Developers and those in the know already are well aware of Qt's graphical dexterity. Qt is the basis for KDE, and the engine behind such applications as VLC, Google Earth, and Walt Disney's Animation Studios. The new UI is still in concept form, and nothing has been shown yet. They were merely showing effects and whatnot with the current OS.

These effects aren't from competitors. All of the "competitors" are Symbian Foundation members. And the effects aren't about power at all, but about agility and dexterity of the framework to pull off some of the things we'll be using. Wake up, now.