All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-11-2009, 04:54 PM

User61 is on a distinguished road
E72 Issues

I got myself a Nokia E72 yesterday night and it's not a prototype. It's a production version. The purpose of this thread is to highlight the issues I've encountered with it so other people might relate to it if they have similar problems.

Spacebar stopped working this evening barely 24 hours after my purchase and after a while, I found out that if I'm on a call, the other person sounds like a chipmunk unless I use the supplied headset. Both of these were non-issues the night or several hours before.

However, after I did a soft reset, the spacebar and chipmunk speaker issues seem to have vanished.

I guess it's not a hardware problem (at least I hope so) but more of a firmware problem. I hope Nokia is listening.

Software version:

Software version date:
17-Oct-2009

Custom version
021.024.C00.01

Last edited by User61; 10-11-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:41 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Memory ?

It could be a memory issue , since after Soft Reset - what code are you using ? - the issues diappeared .
Read this thread about Saving Memory for usefull tips . It's about the 5800 , but most tips are usefull for all S60 devices :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=84082

Regards jApi NL

Old 18-11-2009, 06:22 AM

Hmm, I highly doubt so. There's another guy whose E72's spacebar has been failing periodically too. He seems to be able to revive the function with a restart though.

Old 25-11-2009, 04:30 AM

callmemark is on a distinguished road
hey, I also just bought my E72 last weekend, and I also have this problem. The spacebar periodically stops working, and the voice problem happened once too.

Both are resolved after a restart.

software version: 021.024

Old 25-11-2009, 04:32 AM

can't get the push email to work?

Another problem I have encountered is the push email.
I can only setup an email using the traditional method (setting it up one account at a time) and have the phone periodically check the account in a set interval.

How can I setup the push email? I am using the phone in China, or is China not supported by nokia push email service?

anyone have any idea?

Old 26-11-2009, 02:03 AM

senninha is on a distinguished road
some bugs i've encountered with my E72:

- music player often stops playing mid-song. it's not down to a specific song, just does it randomly. the same songs play perfectly fine in my N97 so the files are not the problem.

- when editing a to-do task in the calendar, i can change the description and date, but every time i try changing the alarm time, the bloody phone just doesn't save it. i've re-edited the task over 5 times and when i check it after editing it, the alarm still shows 5pm! who needs a reminder when the day is over anyway???

- i just can't create my gmail account in the messaging app. every time i enter my email address and password, the only options displayed are 'Select' and 'Back'. obvously if i choose Select, it only allows me to re-type the password i've just entered. and Back goes back to the previous screen. and every time i check, the gmail account is not created. no problems though setting up my non-webmail account. just continuing to use the gmail java app for now.

i'm perplexed as these are very simple and straightforward functions. hopefully they are resolved in the next firmware but they never should happen in the first place.

other than that, it's a great piece of kit, and the battery life is magnificent.

Old 30-11-2009, 10:39 AM

I just found out that the optical trackpad stops working during a call while the headset is plugged in. It works fine again after the call has ended. I don't know if this is a feature or a bug.

The spacebar issue is appearing to be quite common.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:24 AM

i believe the optical trackpad is disabled when in-call to prevent accidental movement? (decrease/increase of volume)
Ads

Old 04-12-2009, 08:42 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemark View Post
Another problem I have encountered is the push email.
I can only setup an email using the traditional method (setting it up one account at a time) and have the phone periodically check the account in a set interval.

How can I setup the push email? I am using the phone in China, or is China not supported by nokia push email service?

anyone have any idea?
AFAIK, push email is dependant on the operator / network / country, not necessarily on the phone, so you may be right, push email might not be available with your specific operator in China.

BTW - anyone know when AAS are doing a full review on the E72 - I'm trying to find a decent full length review.Cheers.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 05-12-2009, 01:33 AM

senninha is on a distinguished road
here's one of the first full reviews i've seen, other than the preview on mobile review that came out a long while back:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e72-review-422.php

btw, regarding my gmail setup problem, i realized that the phone didn't like setting up the account via wifi. once i used my network connection, it setup just fine. ho hum...

Old 09-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Stal is on a distinguished road
Interesting to read others thoughts on the E72. Just got mine, to be honest first impressions are a little disappointing coming from the E71. Build quality seems to have gone down a lot, battery cover especially which is annoying but will prob get used to it. Looks like theyve tried to stop the battery rattling by sticking a strip of foam on the inside of the cover - which then makes the sides not fit properly. Nokia, why change the design from the E71 which was so popular!!???

Also noticed that the keyboard seems ever so slightly different, almost as if it has a bit more "bounce" in the keys to the E71. Ive noticed that when trying to type fast it occasionally doesnt register ive pressed the Y key after pressing the E key, almost as if i have to type slower than the E71 as the keys have more travel in them? Have to see how I get on. If there was a way i could have had the 5mp camera on the E71 think i would have stuck with that.

Also, on mine the strip below the bottom row of keys has far too much movement in it (again, why change the design of the E71 so much?). And while were on a roll, the volume keys dont provide enough feedback compared to E71, the usb/micro sd slot covers are nicer than E71 and all flush on the side but much harder to open and had to use some pliers to get the card out as its so far into the device! Although now ive swapped it for a bigger one i dont think it will have to be removed now so not that big a deal.

Havnt had a chance to play much with the camera yet though, but the panoramic mode looks promising (interstingly not present on my N97 mini which seems the wrong way round for an E and N series device? - unless im missing something?)

Podcasting is missing as most people will be aware, but the video centre can handle video podcasts ok (such as the phones show ;-) and something like Escarpod appears to handle audio podcasts ok, hopefully will be updated or someone will see this gap in the market soon

Last edited by Stal; 09-12-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 AM

newtype is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by senninha View Post
here's one of the first full reviews i've seen, other than the preview on mobile review that came out a long while back:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e72-review-422.php

btw, regarding my gmail setup problem, i realized that the phone didn't like setting up the account via wifi. once i used my network connection, it setup just fine. ho hum...
I experienced the same issue on my E75. Unfortunately, we still can't use a Destination for the internet connection. Why Nokia decided to omit this "feature" is beyond me -

Old 16-12-2009, 11:36 AM

i don't know if this applies to everyone but in my unit, when using the camera, if you disable the flash (using the settings selector @ the right side) then u can't take a picture anymore? wtf? anyone experiencing this?

Old 16-12-2009, 03:36 PM

Stal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i don't know if this applies to everyone but in my unit, when using the camera, if you disable the flash (using the settings selector @ the right side) then u can't take a picture anymore? wtf? anyone experiencing this?
Hi, just did a quick test on mine - loaded up camera app, set flash to off using link in right hand tool bar and was still able to take a picture fine.

Software version: 021.024
Custom version: 021.024.C00.01

Old 17-12-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Same thing here. Okay, I just found out .. the trick is .. to leave the menu alone for a while for it to go away before you can take a picture. Very slow, very annoying.